Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm (after 2021)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Kathleen Kennedy to step down from Lucasfilm?

Palpatine looked like he was going to surrender, from Anakin and Mace's point of view. Of course we the audience knows he's faking it. But it doesn't justify killing him. If Mace had killed him he would have been breaking Jedi rules and Republic laws (assuming they are similar USA laws). Did Palpatine deserve to die? Yep. But that would have been for the legal system to decide.

And Luke resisted the Dark Side, but that doesn't mean you're free from it for the rest of your life. "If down the dark path you start, forever will it dominate your destiny:

Really? He KNEW he wasn't defenseless and he had just killed two other jedi in a 3 on 1 scenario with relative ease.

Luke rejecting it doesn't mean he's free of the temptation for life - but, if he refused to kill his father whom he barely knew and knew to be a killer of millions or more, he's not going to cave in over his nephew whom he's know his entire life. As Yoda said, always in motion the future is. He'd been a jedi centuries and couldn't see what would happen to Luke's friends. Yet, Luke and 30 years of experience is convinced Ben's a foregone conclusion not worth saving when he hadn't turned yet?

Come on.

Really? He KNEW he wasn't defenseless and he had just killed two other jedi in a 3 on 1 scenario with relative ease.

Luke rejecting it doesn't mean he's free of the temptation for life - but, if he refused to kill his father whom he barely knew and knew to be a killer of millions or more, he's not going to cave in over his nephew whom he's know his entire life. As Yoda said, always in motion the future is. He'd been a jedi centuries and couldn't see what would happen to Luke's friends. Yet, Luke and 30 years of experience is convinced Ben's a foregone conclusion not worth saving when he hadn't turned yet?

Come on.

But that's just it! Luke tried to kill his father! Not but 5 minutes after he says "I will not fight you" he attacks him in a murderous Dark Side rage. And was about to kill him, the Emperor hadn't interrupted him with his cackling "good, good". The moment Luke begins to let his emotions control him is the moment he starts dipping into the Dark Side. You watch his face in TLJ. After he sees what Ben is planning, you see fear, anger, hatred cross his face. These are the emotions that Yoda says leads to the Dark Side. Not to mention that they focus on his cybernetic hand and lightsaber, they were wanting the audience to draw the connection between what Luke was tempted to do then. To what Luke was being tempted to do at that moment.

And as far as Mace is concerned. When is okay for someone to play judge, jury, and executioner. There was a reason Palpatine got himself corned. He knew Mace would be hesitant to kill him, and add in Anakin. Palpatine was playing them both.

But that's just it! Luke tried to kill his father! Not but 5 minutes after he says "I will not fight you" he attacks him in a murderous Dark Side rage. And was about to kill him, the Emperor hadn't interrupted him with his cackling "good, good". The moment Luke begins to let his emotions control him is the moment he starts dipping into the Dark Side. You watch his face in TLJ. After he sees what Ben is planning, you see fear, anger, hatred cross his face. These are the emotions that Yoda says leads to the Dark Side. Not to mention that they focus on his cybernetic hand and lightsaber, they were wanting the audience to draw the connection between what Luke was tempted to do then. To what Luke was being tempted to do at that moment.

And as far as Mace is concerned. When is okay for someone to play judge, jury, and executioner. There was a reason Palpatine got himself corned. He knew Mace would be hesitant to kill him, and add in Anakin. Palpatine was playing them both.
It's ok to to play judge, jury and executioner when you are the most powerful Jedi in the universe and have to stop a Sith Lord from ruling the galaxy. The alternative is...what happened. ;)

It's ok to to play judge, jury and executioner when you are the most powerful Jedi in the universe and have to stop a Sith Lord from ruling the galaxy. The alternative is...what happened. ;)

No it's not okay. Once you decide to break the law, once you decide that the rules and laws don't apply to you. You've become the very thing you've been fighting against. There's a really good scene from the 1950's Ben-Hur, where the protagonist is faced with the realization of what happens when you bend your moral rules.

No it's not okay. Once you decide to break the law, once you decide that the rules and laws don't apply to you. You've become the very thing you've been fighting against. There's a really good scene from the 1950's Ben-Hur, where the protagonist is faced with the realization of what happens when you bend your moral rules.

I've asked this before, but apparently I need to ask it again:

What are the jedi for, if they can't make those kinds of decisions?
Why do they carry lightsabers? Why do they train to fight?

You gave two answers before:

1. That they are monks.

Why do monks need to carry lightsabers? Or train to fight?
Monks pray and philosophize. Why does a democratic republic need to employ a bunch of monks?

2. That they're police.

If they're police, then why didn't Obi Wan arrest the guy who assaulted Luke in the cantina?
Why didn't Obi Wan arrest Darth Vader when they met on the Death Star?
Why didn't Luke try to arrest Darth Vader on Bespin instead of fighting him with lightsabers?

I've asked this before, but apparently I need to ask it again:

What are the jedi for, if they can't make those kinds of decisions?
Why do they carry lightsabers? Why do they train to fight?

You gave two answers before:

1. That they are monks.

Why do monks need to carry lightsabers? Or train to fight?
Monks pray and philosophize. Why does a democratic republic need to employ a bunch of monks?

2. That they're police.

If they're police, then why didn't Obi Wan arrest the guy who assaulted Luke in the cantina?
Why didn't Obi Wan arrest Darth Vader when they met on the Death Star?
Why didn't Luke try to arrest Darth Vader on Bespin instead of fighting him with lightsabers?

Well no Republic, so you know. In the name of the Republic that no longer exists, you are under arrest. :lol I would think that closet example of what a Jedi is a US Marshal. Mace does place Palpatine under arrest. And they have jurisdiction on any planet they go to. Ultimately I think Jedi are Jedi, they are their own thing. They're a combination of, monk, warrior (ala knights Templar), and Marshal.

Well no Republic, so you know. In the name of the Republic that no longer exists, you are under arrest. :lol I would think that closet example of what a Jedi is a US Marshal. Mace does place Palpatine under arrest. And they have jurisdiction on any planet they go to. Ultimately I think Jedi are Jedi, they are their own thing. They're a combination of, monk, warrior (ala knights Templar), and Marshal.

You're closest with Knight Templar.
They were modeled after samurai.
You're trying to fit jedi into a modern, western mold, but that's not where they belong.
Try fitting them into a feudal Japanese mold.

The original Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back, are full of eastern philosophy.
From taoism (the force) to bushido (the jedi).

Again it's the big leap of applying US law to the republic. In my example of cop vs serial killer officer windu is in fear of his life with good reason, shooting perp Palpatine would be justified by most states in the US.

By your own definitions, RJ is not a hack. The complaints seem to be that Johnson had is own strong ideas where he wanted to go with the story and didn't care a jot for Star Wars lore or its fans. A hack is someone who does a job of work for a pay check with no investment in the property. If RJ were a hack he would have produced a by the numbers SW movie, which probably would have gone down well with the fans and improved his standing to get more hack work. I didn't particularly care for TLJ myself, but the fact that Johnson took huge risks with the movie (which have failed to pay off) makes him the antithesis of a hack. You can't have it both ways.

There are some interesting questions being shared here and elsewhere as to the validity of his work , actually being ‘ his ‘ work alone .
Perhaps the huge risks positively attributed to this visionary , should now be suspect also ... just saying .

:cheersGed

You're closest with Knight Templar.
They were modeled after samurai.
You're trying to fit jedi into a modern, western mold, but that's not where they belong.
Try fitting them into a feudal Japanese mold.

The original Star Wars, and Empire Strikes Back, are full of eastern philosophy.
From taoism (the force) to bushido (the jedi).

I'm not far off. The Old Republic of Star Wars was inspired after our Republic. And they don't fit in the Feudal Japanese mold. The Jedi don't serve individual Shoguns or the equivalent.

Well yeah, that's entirely up for debate, my beef is purely with the use of the word hack, which fits neither his work on SW or his previous work. I think the biggest problem with the new movies is the lack of an overarching plan for the three movies from Abrahams. I'm not an expert on TLJ situation, but it seems that he wanted to do it, and they just said, 'Go ahead, do what you want.' If they had had a Lucas figure guiding the directors with a solid plan, then RJ would no doubt have been reigned in. See also the problems with Rogue One and Solo's production.

There are some interesting questions being shared here and elsewhere as to the validity of his work , actually being ‘ his ‘ work alone .
Perhaps the huge risks positively attributed to this visionary , should now be suspect also ... just saying .

:cheersGed

That's not correct either. If Mace kills him and then says "i killed him, now I get to rule the galaxy" then, yes, he becomes what he's been fighting against. If he kills him and then admits it and lets the council do what they have to, he does not.

For humor, what happens if he defeats him and captures him. You really think they tie him up in that thing Obi wan was in in ATOC for eternity? He clearly doesn't need a saber, he can melt a plastic prison, electrify a metal one, and kill anyone that gets within 20 feet of him. He doesn't exactly have an alternative.

Hell, I walk away for a couple days and this thread is even farther off base :darnkids

Still no firing yet, huh?

But I'm glad we covered TLJ's sexy milking scene problem :lol

Birdie In Johnsons own words he aims to have half his audience like his movie and half to hate it, that might be called brave on some indie production but when that is very successfully applied to a Star Wars movie when the aim should be to make an experience that as many as possible can enjoy then your a hack in my book everyday of the week.

Has KK been fired? Since we havent seen or heard from her since opening night of Solo and all the worldwide Star Wars stories that have been breaking on a daily basis since, It wouldnt be a stretch to assume, yes, she has been fired.

The space walrus scene will go down in Star Wars history is its number one low point, whether you consider it sexual or not. Just scrapping in ahead of....
Leia Poppins
Canto Bites
DJ
Hyperkazi
Rose stopping Finn`s moment because of love
Vice Admiral Holdo
Space ships designed purely to scrape up a cool looking red dust clouds beneath them.
Completely brushing off the opportunity to give Han Solo a proper send off with the characters the world has worshipped for four decades. Which leads us back to Canto Bites.

Last edited by a moderator:

Or shes just at work, not everyone has a spotlight on them at all times during their day to day.

Yeah right, the person who has more staged personal photo shoots that any other Studio President in history is busy at work and cant make a comment while the Star Wars universe is burning. Sure thing.

The stars wars universe is not burning, and the only "daily articles" are just the same topic being regurgitated over and over.

If all you look for is doom and gloom then all you'll find is doom and gloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back