Red Saya for Connor Macleod's Highlander sword

Icesaber

Hi all, I'm considering buying a Marto Connor Macleod sword from Knight Store in the UK. I want a wall hanger and I've read its the best one to buy. I noticed it comes with a black saya, but I'm sure the movie uses red. My questions are...

1. Does anybody know where I can buy a more accurate saya (preferably in the UK)?
2. If no not, how different is the accurate version? I.e. could I paint this one?
3. Finally if I can paint it, what process/paints would I use?
4. Is the Duncan red saya below more accurate for Connor than the black?

Here's the Connor version
https://www.theknightshop.com/dragon-katana

Here's the Duncan version that comes with a red saya.
https://www.theknightshop.com/highlander-dragon-katana

Thanks

Hi all, I'm considering buying a Marto Connor Macleod sword from Knight Store in the UK. I want a wall hanger and I've read its the best one to buy. I noticed it comes with a black saya, but I'm sure the movie uses red. My questions are...

1. Does anybody know where I can buy a more accurate saya (preferably in the UK)?
2. If no not, how different is the accurate version? I.e. could I paint this one?
3. Finally if I can paint it, what process/paints would I use?
4. Is the Duncan red saya below more accurate for Connor than the black?

Here's the Connor version
https://www.theknightshop.com/dragon-katana

Here's the Duncan version that comes with a red saya.
https://www.theknightshop.com/highlander-dragon-katana

Thanks

I can tell you that at least some of the original “Duncan” props have a black saya... I toured Adrian Paul’s house a few months ago (it was up for sale) and saw 2 of the original props he had on display... The normal white “ivory” handle and a grey version... Both had black sayas...

This article does a great job of explaining the different versions used during production.

http://highlander.wikia.com/wiki/Dragonhead_Katana

BTW as you will read in the link above, the Duncan version sold in your link is also inaccurate... Apparently Adrian Paul didn’t like the feel of it and it was never used in the movies or series... Look for the other version by Marto (the one with the portraits) if you want something more accurate.

As for your question as to whether red or black is correct for Connor’s sword, the answer is either. “Originally, Ramirez wore the katana frogged to his belt in a lovely crimson sheath with gold highlights. Unfortunately, this sheath was lost in the rubble of Connor's castle during Ramirez's final and fatal duel with the Kurgan. Centuries later, Connor is seen keeping the sword in a plain black Japanese sheath, possibly made for him by the Sorceror and swordmaker Nakano. Addendum: There were scenes cut from the original film showing the dragon katana and it was still with the original Saya (sheath)”

The above quote is from The Highlander wiki http://highlander.wikia.com/wiki/Ivory-Handled_Katana

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
FWIW My Marto Highlander Katana had an Aluminum/Metal Saya, so I would assume it should not be hard to repaint without risking damage. Unlike my "real" Katanas, which have a thick, candy like lacquer over soft wood which is harder to remove and replicate.

When Ramirez had the sword, it did indeed have a red saya. However when Conner has it in the 1980s, the sword has a black saya. Therefore both colors are screen accurate.

You may already know this but just in case... that Highlander Connor katana on the site you linked to is a knock-off and is not the Marto or United Cutlery version and the Duncan version you linked to is not even a design that was used in the Highlander TV series or any of the movies for that matter.

Last edited:
When Ramirez had the sword, it did indeed have a red saya. However when Conner has it in the 1980s, the sword has a black saya. Therefore both colors are screen accurate.

You may already know this but just in case... that Highlander Connor katana on the site you linked to is a knock-off and is not the Marto or United Cutlery version and the Duncan version you linked to is not even a design that was used in the Highlander TV series or any of the movies for that matter.

Are you sure? I contacted Knight Shop and they said its a Marto sword without me having to mention them. I asked who it was made by thats all. Also I've checked reviews for The Knight Store (some on here) and they seem positive.

Marto lost the rights to make Duncans sword years ago.

What they sell is NOT what was used on the show

irishamericanlad is who you seek
Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 2.28.41 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 2.28.41 pm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure? I contacted Knight Shop and they said its a Marto sword without me having to mention them. I asked who it was made by thats all. Also I've checked reviews for The Knight Store (some on here) and they seem positive.

You know what? I was not looking at the close-up pic of the handle. I had only looked at the pic of the full sword on that site. Now that I have, it does indeed look like the Marto version but with some strange discolorations on the handle, usually only seen on the knock-offs. Perhaps the one in the pic is used. Of course even "new", that sword would still be many years old so UV light could have also caused the plastic handle to discolor. Another option could be that Marto produced a more weathered version at one time with a copper habaki instead of brass. I'm sorry I did not not examine it closer before making my previous statement.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back