Duel Truck

Next I started adding sand and bushes. I found some nice tutorials on how to apply the sand by first spraying some rubbing alcohol followed by spraying some watered down white glue. Sprinkled the sand on top and follow it with more spray of the watered down white glue to hold everything in place. I had sifted the dirt and saved some bigger pieces to be used as rocks.

101_0596.jpg 101_0597.jpg 101_0599.jpg 101_0600.jpg

The bushes are made from Jute twine I got at the craft store. I soaked some of it in watered down green and brown paint to give a little color variation.
101_0601.jpg 101_0604.jpg 101_0605.jpg 101_0655.jpg
101_0681.jpg 101_0679.jpg 101_0675.jpg 101_0683.jpg
101_0691.jpg 101_0690.jpg 101_0684.jpg 101_0699.jpg
101_0701.jpg 101_0702.jpg

Here are some screen caps for comparison.

DriverSide2.jpg DuelTruck1.jpg DuelTruck2.jpg DuelTruck3.jpg DuelTruck5.jpg DuelTruckRear.jpg

This build has lasted over two years. In that amount of time a lot has gone on in my life. My father fought and won a battle with cancer, I got to play guitar for one of my punk rock idols and then had to face another health issue with my father. I mentioned before in this thread how important the movie Duel is for me. This was a movie my dad and I shared every time it came on TV. When he saw it listed in TV Guide, he would let me know and I would stop what ever I was doing and watch it with him. I have built this truck not for myself...but for both my dad and I. Sadly, my dad passed away last August. He had a a few bad strokes which started in October of 2014 and his health just kept going down from that point on. There were some hopeful moments, but he never regained enough strength to fully recover. During his stays in hospitals, and skilled nursing homes, he kept asking me how the truck was coming along. I was able to finish the truck in time for him to see it and he was most amazed at how I did the lettering. He never got to see the base but I'm glad he got to see the truck. Pictured here with the truck is my dad's urn. He was a HUGE Dale Earnhardt fan.

101_0707.jpg 101_0708.jpg 101_0709.jpg

Earlier today I went out to a part of Soledad Canyon Road to take some pictures. I went to this filming area and not much has changed in 44 years.

Soledad3.jpg Soledad5.jpg 101_0800.jpg 101_0802.jpg
Soledad1.jpg Soledad2.jpg 101_0801.jpg

Here are some pictures at this location.

Truck01.jpg Truck03.jpg Truck04.jpg Truck02.jpg

This pretty much completes this journey. I thank everyone for looking and giving me some input and help along the way. There are still a couple of tiny tweaks I want to do to this but for the most part, the truck is finished.

Thanks again.

Brilliant location pictures, you need to find a straight stretch and try and align it as a head on 3/4 view , brilliant weathering , this is the realism that many of us strive for

Thank you very much gentlemen for all your kind words. One thing I forgot to mention is that I did apply a very light coat of satin clear but in the sun and in the pictures it doesn't show up. I may add a little more to get a similar surface shine that can be seen in the movie.

A 3/4 view would be great. I kind of rushed these location pictures and wish I hand more time trying to get a good 3/4 shot. There was a surprising amount of traffic on this road too. Someday I want to check out Godde Hill Road which was another area they filmed in and see if there's less traffic there.

A couple of things I learned from this build is that styrene is a very forgiving material. Mistakes can easily be corrected. Also, oil paint is a forgiving medium too and mistakes are easily corrected. I've always felt most comfortable with pastels for weathering but now I'm equally comfortable with oils. I must admit that this build turned out better than I thought it would. There are a few tiny details I wish I could have nailed but I know I'm just being picky. I'm my own worst critic. :)

Hey Randy

First of all I'm so sorry about your father. I imagine how you're feeling right now (especially if you're young)
Second to congratulate you about beeing on a band (I also like some punk music from the 70's and 80's)
And last to say that the base turned out great. Lucky for you that can get to the film location sites in no time to take pics.
For us that followed this thread almost from the beginning it's very nice to see how it turned out. You did a very good job. Now start working on the car ;)

Last edited:
My condolences to you and your family. It's great that your Father saw the finished model. As of the pictures, the natural light makes that truck more real than ever:cool

Thank you guys. Regarding my father, when he passed, my mother and I were more relived that he was no longer suffering or in any pain. The hardest part for me was seeing him fully understand that he was not going to get better. I'm so glad I was able to finish the truck in time for him to see it but I wish I could watch the movie one more time with him.

This build has lasted over two years. In that amount of time a lot has gone on in my life. My father fought and won a battle with cancer, I got to play guitar for one of my punk rock idols and then had to face another health issue with my father. I mentioned before in this thread how important the movie Duel is for me. This was a movie my dad and I shared every time it came on TV. When he saw it listed in TV Guide, he would let me know and I would stop what ever I was doing and watch it with him. I have built this truck not for myself...but for both my dad and I. Sadly, my dad passed away last August. He had a a few bad strokes which started in October of 2014 and his health just kept going down from that point on. There were some hopeful moments, but he never regained enough strength to fully recover. During his stays in hospitals, and skilled nursing homes, he kept asking me how the truck was coming along. I was able to finish the truck in time for him to see it and he was most amazed at how I did the lettering. He never got to see the base but I'm glad he got to see the truck. Pictured here with the truck is my dad's urn. He was a HUGE Dale Earnhardt fan.

View attachment 530817 View attachment 530818 View attachment 530819

Earlier today I went out to a part of Soledad Canyon Road to take some pictures. I went to this filming area and not much has changed in 44 years.

View attachment 530820 View attachment 530821 View attachment 530822 View attachment 530823
View attachment 530824 View attachment 530825 View attachment 530826

Here are some pictures at this location.

View attachment 530827 View attachment 530829 View attachment 530830 View attachment 530828

This pretty much completes this journey. I thank everyone for looking and giving me some input and help along the way. There are still a couple of tiny tweaks I want to do to this but for the most part, the truck is finished.

Thanks again.

I would've LOVED to have a toy Duel truck when I was a 5 year old boy watching this fantastic movie on Superstation WTBS in the late 80's in Austin, Texas and to tell you the truth I still would love to have one! :D N.E.C.A. should definitely mass-produce a toy Duel truck and car!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back