Planet Explorer

Katsu-san, How is life.. All good i hope...
Been busy shooting your airsoft guns?

Best regards,
Jim

Hi!, Jim-san, How are you ?

I have been so busy like the last year but it seems I could get over the peak somehow.
May be I can grab my guns and punch a little hole in the paper target soon.

Now I take a little rest and waiting for my guts to come on.
Just like a rainy season in Cambodia, here we have a wet condition every day.

Today is my day off and I am going to clean up the mess of my work shack.
It's been deserted for more than a month. Huum, I'm afraid to see down there. XD

Jim-san, how was your summer? Did you have a nice vacation?
I only managed to go to see the movie with my wife. That was a dinosaur movie(maybe). LOL

I hope all is well with you and your family.

katsu

All fine here thank you my friend.
Had a good vacation with wife and kids, thank you. Been away for 2 weeks. Just doing NOTHING at all that even looks like work.. Great. :)

Busy with good things i hope??
Good luck cleaning up the work shack.. :) Must be a lot of work for you :) :) Maybe it will bring you some well deserved rest when you are done.

Jim.

Somewhere along the line your model has gone from really really cool to flipping epic Katsu san. There's so much ingenuity goodness in this thread it's positively mind blowing.

The new ramp is awesome and love the support legs, nice touch.

All fine here thank you my friend.
Had a good vacation with wife and kids, thank you. Been away for 2 weeks. Just doing NOTHING at all that even looks like work.. Great. :)

Busy with good things i hope??
Good luck cleaning up the work shack.. :) Must be a lot of work for you :) :) Maybe it will bring you some well deserved rest when you are done.

Jim.

How nice to hear you had a sweet vacation. Just doing nothng at all for 2 weeks.
That's what we Japanese should do sometime. We work too much even in a short summer vacation.
I guess you have been rebooted and ready to go.

Katsu-san, as always just fantastic!! Can't wait to see your paint scheme thoughts.

Mikeee-san, Hi!
Thank you very much!
I missed you so much. And I missed my paint job!
Rainy weather has been 10 days all day long. This is unbelievable .
I already forgot how the sun looks like. I vaguely remember it was a bright ball in a middle of a sky.

I will post soon anyway!

Somewhere along the line your model has gone from really really cool to flipping epic Katsu san. There's so much ingenuity goodness in this thread it's positively mind blowing.

The new ramp is awesome and love the support legs, nice touch.

Thank you very much Canobi-san.
Making the side ramp for both sides are finished up and I'm ready for the first stage paint job.
Then I can proceed for the total assembly. I believe that could be a fun part just before the finishing.

Thanks for your constant support and I'm very sorry for kept you waiting for long time.
Dank Katsu :cry

Back on work bench.

Put the masking tape on all the windows again and paint the inner parts for final assembly.

Glue the bulge and retractable ramp way to the main body.

That was a progress of 8 hours today.

OK, let me show you my recent work.

I've obtained the very old Naga-Hibachi a small fire place through the internet auction.
It is more than 100 years old and pretty bad damaged.
It cost me about $80 and took whole day long to restore.

The red copper plate fire floor was repaired by hitting with a wooden mallet
Applying a hand grinder on trivet to remove the red rust, and finished with gun blue.
Fixed the small drawers.
Polished the wooden case.

I will warm up a small bottle of sake and bake some mushrooms or dried fish.
Winny and marshmallow would be lovely, too.
Let's enjoy the evening of late autumn.

Thanks for looking,

Katsu

Im very much looking forward to seeing the finished paint job :thumbsup

Also amazing restoration work Katsu-san, that Naga-Hibachi is beautiful :love

I'm always happy to see your Explorer progressing - I think I can see the finish line in the distance!

And the hibachi is indeed beautiful. (It's good that I don't have one, though: I'd be too tempted to try to do some blacksmithing in the living room.)

Glad to see some progress on your Planet Explorer. And what a wonderful job you did restoring the hibachi. I hope you have a lot of fun cooking delicious meals on it. I have a simple gas hibachi that is no where near as beautiful as your antique.

Im very much looking forward to seeing the finished paint job :thumbsup

Also amazing restoration work Katsu-san, that Naga-Hibachi is beautiful :love

Thank you, Canobi-san, I thought you'll like that hibachi.

I'm always happy to see your Explorer progressing - I think I can see the finish line in the distance!

And the hibachi is indeed beautiful. (It's good that I don't have one, though: I'd be too tempted to try to do some blacksmithing in the living room.)

Thank you Tom-san. I guess you are the good blacksmith. You got a strong hands to handle those tools.
I realized that I'm getting old when I use that heavy mallet. I need an excercise. :(

Glad to see some progress on your Planet Explorer. And what a wonderful job you did restoring the hibachi. I hope you have a lot of fun cooking delicious meals on it. I have a simple gas hibachi that is no where near as beautiful as your antique.

Thank you very much, Randy-san. I am thinking to put the glass plate on top of it and use this hibachi as a coffee table in summer time.

As Tom san said, The finish line is near (Oh, I hope so).
I will post some progress this weekend.

It's getting cold in the morning and evening here.
Take care my friends.

Thank you very much,
katsu

Hi Katsu-san,

good to see you are back at work on the Explorer again.. Really missed this topic on the first page.. :)

i love the Naga-Hibachi . Very nice piece of art ..

Jim.

Hi Katsu-san,

good to see you are back at work on the Explorer again.. Really missed this topic on the first page.. :)

i love the Naga-Hibachi . Very nice piece of art ..

Jim.

Oh, hi, Jim-san!

Thanks for waiting for my updates.
That was a little progress but the assembling is going well so far.
Tough part is almost over and maybe I can enjoy detailing the exterior.

Only someone who hasn't seen me at my forge could say that... :) I want to make knives, but right now am very much a beginner - any resemblance between what I make and a knife is purely a coincidence right now.

Making knives are very interesting project. Not only for the collection, using the original knife on outdoor field will be some good feeling.
I love those knives. Because we often eat fishes for sashimi or sushi. The sharp edged knives are very important to cook some neat dishes.
Looking forward to see your work in near future.

Last night, we baked some chestnuts on that hibachi.
It was nice with some bourbon whisky.
It was the taste of autumn.

katsu

Thanks for looking,

Katsu

Katsu-san, that is beautiful! I always have my eyes open for items like that here in the states but I can just never seem to find anything, at least nothing under 2 thousand dollars US. Can't wait to see you post some pics of that cooking up some food! Are you going to do any more restoration work to it or just leave it as is and enjoy it?

Hi, Mikeee-san, thanks for looking.
Those hibachi was used to be an ordermade.
Maybe the things you can find in the US was made by a certain builder.
If I order one of those in present time, it may cost me more than $2000 at least.

The restoration for this is over now. I will leave it as it is.
Those side and upper panels are made of zelkova and the upper end is framed with persimmon.
No plywood was used.

You may have to use some Binchou-tan (Bincyou charcole) to fire up.
The charcole keeps burning for long time without sparkling.
Now I'm looking for a tetsubin like one of those.
https://www.google.co.jp/imgres?img...0CBMQMygQMBA4ZGoVChMIgvLL1ID_xwIVSCamCh2OJgmD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go on assembling.

Hatch frame.

Bording laddrer deployed.

Seeing the gear compartment on the other side.

An inner hatch closed.

Retract the gears and close all the hatches.

All the canopies are closed tight already and the basic assembly will be finished soon.

I wish I could show you the first primer on the next post.

Thanks for looking my friends.

katsu

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back