Graflex Variations: Facts and vs. Replica

Can someone confirm that the threading is different on the clamp lever screw?
I'm hearing 5-40 on the vintage and 4-40 on the Parks.

Nice job.
I'll add that the spacing of the lettering on the clamp 'GRAFLEX' is different than on the original.
The lettering starts further to the left on the original and has more space between each letter as well.

Not sure if this was covered, but the clamps I used to offer had the correct letter placement.
With the "G" centered at the beginning of the stamped lines:
So that's not a tell for all replicas. :cool

PBClamp1TX.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if this was covered, but the clamps I used to offer had the correct letter placement.
With the "G" centered at the beginning of the stamped lines:
So that's not a tell for all replicas. :cool

http://www.romanprops.com/PBClamp1TX.jpg

I noticed on your site you had to two versions, different finishes... which of the two is closest to what would be on my real graflex.

(I believe you don't have any at this time, last I looked, but it would be good to know for future...)

I noticed on your site you had to two versions, different finishes... which of the two is closest to what would be on my real graflex.

(I believe you don't have any at this time, last I looked, but it would be good to know for future...)

The satin finish would be closest to your real graflex. The chrome finish would be for an AFBB build. :)

Indeed . . . well Roman ... the G and X should start/end when you hold a ruler over the tabholes which is still a tell compared to yours
and on a real graflex clamp the distance between the 4 stamped lines and the tabholes is slightly larger then on yours as well :)

Here you see what I mean ... this is clearly a replica graflex clamp :

-Chaim

Already posted this in another thread...wouldn´t it be possible for the Graflex/ MPP makers to incorporate a distinct "mark" into their replicas?

I know we´re all striving for accuracy, but 99% identical reproductions make it more difficult to identify the REAL deal and opens the doors for fraud (a real -decently conditioned- flashgun will ALWAYS be worth more than a replica, no matter how good it is)!

Maybe a small stamp/ engraving or something, that´s not visible from the outside but enables you to distinguish between the various incarnations!?
Just an idea :eek:hwell

Markus

This is a great thread, very informative.
Do the replica graflex's made by Parks actually work a flash?

Yep they sure do. They're practically a brand new graflex... replica of course, but function in every detail. Even the tiny springs inside the pins...

I've never thought that there were so many differences between them. Great research and documentation:thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Already posted this in another thread...wouldn´t it be possible for the Graflex/ MPP makers to incorporate a distinct "mark" into their replicas?

I know we´re all striving for accuracy, but 99% identical reproductions make it more difficult to identify the REAL deal and opens the doors for fraud (a real -decently conditioned- flashgun will ALWAYS be worth more than a replica, no matter how good it is)!

Maybe a small stamp/ engraving or something, that´s not visible from the outside but enables you to distinguish between the various incarnations!?
Just an idea :eek:hwell

Markus

I think the replica ones aren't able to light up as the genuine flashes am I right?

they have every tiny nuance recreated... they work just as a new graflex would. Crazy attention to detail actually.

Thanks for the info, Scott; it's neat that he's made the insides to work. I know a lot of people like his replicas, especially since real Graflex prices are so high now. Personally, I've never bought one because of the small differences, including many of the details listed in the first post, plus I've had quality issues with his replica clamps. I guess it's just difficult to go back to a replica once you've had the real deal.

I need to stop reading these threads... I don't have the money to invest in another build right now...

The clamps I think are run aside from the whole flash itself. In fact I do know that he said once they are gone... that's it... they're gone. The tooling and production is too expensive to do anymore. So... if you ever want one... do it sooner than later.

I picked one up from a forum last year and it's good enough to quench my ANH Luke craving:) Not to say I won't eventually get a real Graflex in the future, but I really like mine. And yes, they do light up when you load some batteries in them.

Robert:)

Hey Roman... can you confirm..I had some of your most recent replica clamps, and I THINK those had the offset incorrect G R A F L E X stamping...

??????

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back