Movies that should never be re-made

Bad remakes:

La Femme Nikita - No Way Out
The Vanishing (1988) - The Vanishing (1993)
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) - Assault on Precinct 13 (2005)
The Singing Detective (BBC miniseries) - The Singing Detective (Hollywood movie)
The Ladykillers (1955) - The Ladykillers (2004)
It's a Wonderful Life - It Happened One Christmas
Casablanca - Barb Wire

Movies that should not be remade:

Commando
Terminator
Goonies
The NeverEnding Story
Labyrinth
Legend

Movies that should not have been remade, but were in horrific fashion:

The Day the Earth Stood Still
War of the Worlds
Footloose

Without reading the last 5 pages, has anybody said the Back To The Future movies? I'm watching all 3 right now, these should never be remade, no more sequels, no prequels, nothing. Leave them alone for all eternity, it's a perfect trilogy.

Without reading the last 5 pages, has anybody said the Back To The Future movies? I'm watching all 3 right now, these should never be remade, no more sequels, no prequels, nothing. Leave them alone for all eternity, it's a perfect trilogy.

I agree. If they did though, maybe Eric Stoltz could play older Marty?? Oh dear, that comment won't go down well......

I don't think remakes/reimaginings are a good idea in the first place. It was alright at first, 10-20 years ago. But Hollywood is so, so creatively bankrupt at this point they should just stick with sequels if they can't find anybody with an original idea anymore. And if they can't do that, then it's no wonder people aren't going to movie theaters as often anymore, especially me. Trying to remake a beloved classic film is a lose-lose situation financially and creatively.

I'd be a lot more interested in something that was a "Response" to another film or franchise, telling a similar story but with a deliberate twist of some kind. But certainly not the same IP. It may turn out to just be a ripoff, but is a ripoff the same thing as a film which attempts to subvert a particular genre or set of tropes, while telling it's own story? I don't necessarily think so.

Hmm, I don't know. So many stories, at their core are "remakes" any ways. "boy meets girl" stories, "the tribe/city is threatened" story, "learning to be ok with yourself". if "remaking" something that's been made is impossible bad/wrong, then we don't get any more movies or book from here on out.

I think the problem is when remakes are done as simply cash grabs (not saying making money can't be a part of the motivation, it's just a poor sole motivator), or are done in a disrespectful or overly derivative way.

For example, I'd consider myself a fan of the BSG remake TV show. while watching it, I at least got the impression that the powers-that-be making the show, and most all of the actors were not only concerned with making the best show they could, using this preexisting framework, but also didn't want to tarnish the old show.

Then you get things like the Conan remake with Jason Mumumomoaman (I love him, I just can't get his name right, so I jest), that at the end of the day was pretty fun, but didn't really add anything to the mythos, or come at things from any new angles. wasn't really needed.

on the flip side, the Rock remake of Hercules at least had a fun new premise. The Hercules myth being a word of mouth story that's really about this powerful mortal that leads a band of other heroes in accomplishing tasks... that said, the plot they dropped that interesting new set up in to? not good.

Without having read the previous pages for me it would be The Godfather 1 and 2. Both are perfect and hold up so well! The Shawshank Redemption does not need to be remade. Jaws is another one that is perfect.

Loved that Big arse club he carried so much so that I am looking at one of the Screen-used ones as I post!

the Rock remake of Hercules at least had a fun new premise. The Hercules myth being a word of mouth story that's really about this powerful mortal that leads a band of other heroes in accomplishing tasks... that said, the plot they dropped that interesting new set up in to? not good.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind. While it’s probably safe from the remake monster, you never know these days...

I think that one is safe for the foreseeable future.

Describe that storyline to some modern Hollywood execs. They would say "Okay, that covers the opening 15 minutes. What's the rest of the movie gonna be?"

Don't remake anything unless it is at least 50 years old. I'm getting really sick of movie franchises being remade or rebooted every 10 years or so.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back