Small but fatal mistake

Zinger

I've finally started my Kevin Matchstick cosplay from Matt Wagner's Mage - The Hero Discovered/Defined. I'm documenting the bat build on this thread.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=275544

I'm also working on the full costum, including his custom pair of Converse Chuck's.

IMG_20170419_092658.jpg

I copied the bolt emblem into Fusion 360. I turned it into a DXF file. I laser cut two of them with a tolerance of 0.001 inches.I hand filleted the edges. I sanded them through the grits to 400. I coated them with gesso to fill in the wood grain. I sanded them again to 400 grit. I polished them with a finishing pad to a mirror surface.They are absolutely perfect. Except for one small problem.
They're backwards.
Bolt Problem.png
Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid!

IMG_20170419_092658.jpg

Bolt Problem.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just used paper on my computer screen. I enlarged the lightning bolt to 15 inches, then traced with paper (that I placed over my computer screen and traced).

After tracing out the lightning bolt, put sctoch tape across where you would cut out the image, that way the edges are watertight, and won't wrinkle. I used white fabric paint with a little bit of clear glow in the dark fabric paint as well.

lightnin.jpgshirtinprogress.jpgpainted.jpg

My first demo bat made from Alumilite resin and glow in dark powder. I sprayed the inside of a wiffle ball bat with mold release.batsealed.jpgresinpoured.jpgglowin.jpgMichaels has coupons for 50-60% off, so $20 resin, 5$ bat, $10 mold release. $5 shirt. $10 shirt pain, $20 dyes. I used two different resins on first bat, just to see if it could be done, second bat will be more profeshunnal. The bat needs a rod through it, it bows, so $5 threaded rod on the final

I just used paper on my computer screen. I enlarged the lightning bolt to 15 inches, then traced with paper (that I placed over my computer screen and traced).

After tracing out the lightning bolt, put sctoch tape across where you would cut out the image, that way the edges are watertight, and won't wrinkle. I used white fabric paint with a little bit of clear glow in the dark fabric paint as well.

View attachment 728917View attachment 728918View attachment 728919

My first demo bat made from Alumilite resin and glow in dark powder. I sprayed the inside of a wiffle ball bat with mold release.View attachment 728920View attachment 728921View attachment 728922Michaels has coupons for 50-60% off, so $20 resin, 5$ bat, $10 mold release. $5 shirt. $10 shirt pain, $20 dyes. I used two different resins on first bat, just to see if it could be done, second bat will be more profeshunnal. The bat needs a rod through it, it bows, so $5 threaded rod on the final

Nice. Any pics of the final costume? When did you make it?

I'll admit my approach is a bit more "elaborate" and less cost effective. I'm using this project as an excuse to relearn some old skills and pick up some new ones. It's a MakerQuest for me now. I'm turning my own 34" positive for the bat mold because I hadn't touched a lathe since high school and wanted to pick it up again. I'm playing around with a ton of Smooth-on products because my daughter has a project lined up for me that will require them and the lathe.

The other thing is the tools have gotten so cheap I can over-engineer this. To make my bolt logo, I used what once would have been a $50K software package. Now it's a free download (https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/overview). I just got my certification for the laser cutter at my local MakerSpace, so I'm laser cutting everything. It's just too easy not to.

Same thing for the circuit design for the LEDs. That once would have required a ton of research and trial and error to make sure it was safe. Today, I watched a couple of YouTube videos, used a free on-line circuit simulator (https://www.systemvision.com/) and asked a forum filled with very helpful electrical engineers to double check my work (http://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/).

I'm not sure how I would have approached a project like this 10 years ago.

Zinger,

Started making it after reading your post on the Thor hammer thread.

I remember when the first Mage came out, it was the shnizzle. I had a flashback when you mentioned it.

I am looking at a Hero Discovered version. Jeans, grey shoes, no belt.

I don't know if you remember when the first shirt was offered for sale? We all looked at each other, shook our heads, laughed, talked about how it was too expensive, then ordered one anyways.

I am working on other stuff as well, Rom costume, Fallout 4 vault suit, but this one I can throw together quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm doing Defined because I have brown hair and Kevin's hair changed color.

Also, I need the coat to hide the wiring for the batteries.

since the test run resin bat was bendy in the thin areas, I am thinking of either a hollow portion or a lexan tube down the center that I can put lights and a battery.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back