TIEs and Ys

Not yet Mike, I have been busy with a paint master that dropped, and was away this weekend. But I will be back on them shortly. They are old kits, nothing "new", and the color was matched to the Edlund TIE/EFX tie, per the client's wishes. And yes you are correct, the ones I do for myself I like to intentionally lighten because the darker blue ANH TIEs look odd to me and I make my own models to make myself happy.

I simply don't care if it is technically inaccurate, and when you have the guys that made the originals give it a thumb's up, it's pretty amazing validation that "hyper accuracy" to physical relics isn't required.

I agree Jason,

I guess I assumed these were the same color as the one you did for Clay Brown whic is the only one of your TIEs Ive had the chance to see up close.
Most people here in the Studio Scale section would think one of my Vipers, or X-wings were to paole /ight in color, but thats the way they look ed to me on screen.

Regarding this build ...well the client is always right.

I had the EFX TIE scanned, because its color was derived from Edlund's TIE
Even if I choose to alter the color, I like to start as close to the original and make my adjustments/ judements from there.
The color ( on the EFX ) is so frustratingly close to Tamiya's Haze grey ..just different enough to be annoying.
For builds of the Fine Molds and Bandai TIE kits..Haze Gray is close enough for me.

Hope you had a good time a JF, ,
I trust you did not get an druel on Mike's Slave-1 ;)

The Haze grey... sprayed... then dull coated looks almost exactly like the production paint used on the EFX TIE Fighter.. which was paint matched to an original. I've had to match new unpainted hulls to existing production made wings and i cant tell the difference... I'm sure there are those that could under the proper lighting situation and know what they are looking for could discern the two but I cant and I've been doing this a couple years... You cant go wrong with Haze grey with dull coat in my book.

Interceptor housekeeping - one last pass at replacing things that were not 100% before the final paint session.... just T rod stuff.

Screen Shot 2016-08-30 at 8.02.01 PM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-30 at 8.01.39 PM.png

Nice Pics,

If you don't mind my asking MoffEaton, what treatment (in the color department) did you give the interior?
I always like you sense of aesthetic when it comes to colors.

Also regarding the difference between the EFX TIE Color (arrived at from originala) and the Haze grey color.
I am very picky about such things, and the colors are so close:
If you two, 1/24 Scale TIE fighters, in the room with you about 15" inches apart from each other,under the same light;
You would have trouble telling the difference.

StevenBills, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Will check the thread.
Just I wanted to know what has been done in case of EFX TIE 'cause I don't want to scratch mine.:D
Probably I should make paint sample as like as the thread that you suggested.
Anyway, thanks again.

I use Tamiya grey fine primer and the results are spectacular.

StevenBills, Thank you very much for your suggestion. Will check the thread.
Just I wanted to know what has been done in case of EFX TIE 'cause I don't want to scratch mine.:D
Probably I should make paint sample as like as the thread that you suggested.
Anyway, thanks again.

Also regarding the difference between the EFX TIE Color (arrived at from originala) and the Haze grey color.
I am very picky about such things, and the colors are so close:
If you two, 1/24 Scale TIE fighters, in the room with you about 15" inches apart from each other,under the same light;
You would have trouble telling the difference.

Thanks for the reply! I have a sample of Tamiya Haze Grey but unfortunately haven't seen an EFX TIE in person yet.

I did my own testing of hobby acrylic paint to match Tamiya Haze Grey. I like to spray acrylics whenever possible and wanted to see if I could mix a color.

I did a test using Testors Acrylic(formerly Acryl) paint. I mixed 3 parts US Navy Blue Gray and 1 part Neutral Gray and I got an exact match to Tamiya Haze Grey under different lighting conditions. It's an easy formula to mix and is spot on to Haze Grey.

In this thread below I posted some pictures of my (Testors acrylic) mixture next to a sample of Tamiya Haze Grey.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=91957&page=2&p=3543401&viewfull=1#post3543401

Fragment from mixing cup - no bueno. Chip on the plastic card - matched. Doesn't look like it here.

Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.18.14 PM.png

But lookie here!
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.18.08 PM.png

Sprayed "Haze Gray" from Tamiya rattle can - yes it is close.
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.58 PM.png

Cup fragment - so close, no cigar.
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.50 PM.png

Heyyy a match!
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.46 PM.png

All three together - it was really weird and tricky.
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.39 PM.png

The paint that looks right compared to Haze Gray, and the EFX part.
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.17 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 2.17.31 PM.png
    663.1 KB · Views: 249
Getting closer... gotta address some overspray. Being a vanilla resin kit build I feel like I am cheating after doing the Skyhopper, lol, and I must say even with this being half a dozen years old, it's making me like the Interceptor more than I thought I would (it's never really fired me up, design-wise, to be honest - gasp!).

IMG_9332.jpgIMG_3359.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back