Captain America: Civil War (Post-release)

Also, why wasn't the black panther arrested along with cap and falcon?

4825345-6033227594-image.png

I love Agent Carter and hate the fact that they're dragging their feet about announcing whether it'll get a third season or not. I really, really hope it does get a third season. Peggy is awesome and I absolutely adore her relationship with Jarvis.

not too keen on Tony blackmailing Spidey into joining the fight.

Why is he doing this again? What's the reason for him bringing SM into the fight? The Vision, Warmachine, Iron Man, Black Widow, Black Panther (though not sure if he knew he'd be on side at this point) isn't enough? It doesn't actually make a lot of sense.

Kinda well established in the minutes spent with Tony analyzing the Spider-Man video footage. Tony knows Peter is super-strong, very tough, very agile, has tremendous reflexes, and can climb walls. That plus a Stark-Tech suit? *pff* No problem.

Loved it but the timing was a bit off.

They had 36 hrs to bring them in, and in that time he had a spidey suit ready for him, then got everyone to the airport. I dont know it just seemed a little too convenient.

Of which, what, 22? had elapsed by the time they got to the airport. In the first Iron Man film, it only took JARVIS five hours to take the Mark III suit from model to finished with the paint cured and ready to go. I imagine Tony has streamlined production quite a bit over the succeeding forty-plus suits, and it's clear (at least, to me) that he already knew about Peter and was probably planning on approaching him after the Accords were signed, had things not gone all sideways. So he probably already had a suit designed -- if not made.

So, basically, no quibbles about the timing at all.

There were a couple things I could nitpick about [...] Cap and Sharon's very rushed and out of place kiss moment

That's been being set up since TWS? It felt perfectly organic and natural to me. They'd been progressing toward this since she first moved in across the hall from Steve while undercover, and, at that moment, they didn't know if they'd ever see each other again.

and the budding romance between SW and Vision not that well executed

Given Vision's an artificial person with very little experience as that gestalt entity, I think he's doing pretty well trying to sort through emotions he doesn't really know how to handle or express, and clumsily trying to protect the person who matters most to him.

I watched the winter soldier again the other night. I forgot how much I disliked the final act of that flick.

It would have been a MUCH stronger film if hydra wasn't involved. They took a great conspiracy thriller and then blamed Hitler.

Apparently you missed the first Cap movie where it was blatantly shown that the Red Skull and his organization had their own agenda. Hitler was on their list of targets, not their membership rolls.

If the Winter Soldier is involved, HYDRA is involved. If S.H.I.E.L.D. is involved, HYDRA is involved. *shrug* They had their tentacles into a lot. (The fact is that in CW this is just some of the residual relics, and no actual HYDRA personnel beyond the one dude Zemo drowns are involved in this film at all (except in flashback).

The only bad thing about these movies is they really cement the actors in the character roles. I'm just not sure I can see anyone else playing Cap in the future.

There have been other Caps besides Steve. Lot of directions they could go with that, especially if something comes along to give someone that level of strength and durability.

I have issues with team Stark taking the position of "We need to be put in check" for all the destruction they cause in the process of keeping people safe and saving the world, but not really putting it into practice as they destroy an airport trying to bring in the criminal-Avengers.

Yeah, I'd wanted a little bit more mention of that...

Especially when it's based on flimsy evidence. The immediate release of a fuzzy video showing Bucky in Vienna at the scene of the attack at the Sokovia Accords. They didn't see him do anything so it was circumstantial at best... especially in a world where you can wear someone else's face (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D and TWS). Nobody ever considers that?

Yeah, that bugged me, too.

German Special Forces in Bucharest? I guess international law doesn't include trials... just go in and spraying bullets when Bucky was a "suspect".

Were they German? Either way, Sharon said the CIA and their affiliated assets had shoot-on-sight orders, since the Winter SOldier is considered extremely dangerous, and Cap's the only one who's seen the Bucky underneath emerge. As far as the CIA knows, it's still the same stone killer.

The evidence comes out that Bucky wasn't involved... but the Avengers in The Raft weren't cleared a freed? The whole reason they're in the prison is BS. According to Stark they're in there because they broke the law. Exactly which law did they break? Helping a "suspect", when Ross/Stark had no intentions of conducting any kind of investigation? BS.

They were superheroes operating without sanction, in violation of the Accords they either refused to sign or had signed (depending on the individual). Regardless of the reasons, that right there is enough to put them at the top of Ross' considerable $#it list.

Aunt May seems kind of young (I guess at 52 Marissa Tomei is hardly a spring chicken, but Aunt May has always been kind of an old lady) and now they live in what looked like a swanky apartment instead of the crappy old row home?

I'm one of the ones who has zero problem with this. I've always liked Marisa Tomei. I always found it odd that Peter's "Aunt May" was semi-fossilized. Did the comics ever clarify that she was his great-aunt or something? Cuz that's the only way that drastic an age difference would make sense to me. 52 is a perfectly valid age for an actual aunt to a teenager.

And as others said, that's a pretty tiny presumably-two-bedroom apartment (par four the course in New York -- even Queens), and far from "swanky".

I wish the villain wasn't named "Zemo." Hearing that Zemo was going to be in this film threw off my expectations as a comic reader and it was a little disorienting because I kept looking for the connection that wasn't there. It's kinda like Into the Darkness which would easily have been 50% better only if they didn't name the villain Khan Noonian Singh.

We also saw Ulysses Klaw before he became Klaw. I expect former-Colonel Zemo to be back and more badass as Baron Zemo with some actual charater-development history, in the same vein.

What was the deal with Black Panther's interactions with Bucky's arm? It couldnt have just been a vibranium thing, because Bucky had contact with Caps shield and nothing happened. Was there a significance?

Probably one we'l learn in the Black Panther movie. I don't think it was a vibranium interaction so much as something about the ring detects it.

The timeline for the Accords was a bit fast. Not that they had been come up with, but that the people it affects are only given 4 days before they're supposed to go in effect? And why wasn't there an enhanced person involved in the creation process?

It seems apparent Tony was involved, and heavily, in the drafting of the Accords, and I get the sense that the whole document's been gone over and refined and everyone else has signed it and it's now just down to Tony's friends (not counting anyone who's operating clandestinely). Given how awkward he looks during the scene where Ross presents it, I can easily see him dragging his feet with presnting it to them until the last minute cuz he knows how they'll react.

So what makes the UN think they have any jurisdiction over Thor, who isn't even a citizen of the planet?

When I first saw the document cover as part of the MCU Phase 2 box set extras, I had to smile at that and think "Good luck with that".

the airport fight i was waiting for someone to dye, praying it wasn't giant antman. ( is he now considered atom man?)

The Atom is DC's version of size-changing hero, and predates Ant-Man by a few months.

Howard Stark had continued his research with "vita rays", probably aidded by Zola (who helped create "Bucky") so the new super serum appearing made sense, particularly with the "digital" Zola then ordering Howards death as glimpsed in CATWS and revealed fully in Civil War.

Everyone seems to forget that Zola was very familiar with Erskine's research, and an attempt to recreate it (or use an earlier version of the serum) on Schmitt resulted in the Red Skull. I'm hopng the fact that Howard Stark apparently figured out how to reproduce he Super-Soldier serum comes into play in the future. Maybe they'll compress the various comics timelines and make Sharon the new Cap (rather than her neice, Shannon -- and actually Cap, rather than "American Dream")...

Considering the jailbreak, it seems likely the Black Panther movie will involve what in the comics was the Secret Avengers -- Steve and his friends/supporters operating clandestinely and out of costume after the Act was passed. I've also been keenly mindful of the '80s comic "Nomad", where Steve walked away from the Cap mantle and wandered the country looking for new purpose.

All in all, I loved this movie, need to see it again in the theater a few times, and can't wait for what's next.

--Jonah

Last edited:
That's been being set up since TWS? It felt perfectly organic and natural to me. They'd been progressing toward this since she first moved in across the hall from Steve while undercover, and, at that moment, they didn't know if they'd ever see each other again.

Jeez I dunno how long it took you to quote that many people. But regarding Cap and Sharon, consider it a difference of opinion. While I like both actors, I don't think they have much chemistry and this was evident back in TWS, though for that film I simply chalked that up to limited screen time together. With CW the lack of chemistry is more evident. If anything I would say Cap and BW had more chemistry in CW and TWS, even as a sibling type of relationship. The kiss itself wasn't really set up and just seemed like the Russos threw that in there to get the ball rolling between the two. What REALLY saved that scene was the bro nods from Sam and Bucky. Just my 2 cents.

No offense, but a comment like this makes me feel sad for you man. I didnt think about that AT ALL considering what was going on.

Whoa, someone needs to relax the feels and realize not everyone's opinion is the same as yours. I could nit pick about you not liking a hot aunt may (what do you only like old women thats weird) or everything else you said, but you know what, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Whoa, someone needs to relax the feels and realize not everyone's opinion is the same as yours. I could nit pick about you not liking a hot aunt may (what do you only like old women thats weird) or everything else you said, but you know what, you are entitled to your own opinion.

I understand that people dont share the same opinion. But Aunt May isnt hot. The character of Aunt May, when she was created, and the basis of every iteration since, has been an old lady. Did you not see the sultry way she acted towards Peter at the end of the credits? I could say that youre weird for you not thinking a woman is almost hitting on her nephew isnt weird. And I didnt say his opinion was wrong or anything, I just felt bad for him because he over analyzes things to the point, to me, that he cant enjoy them. It is a movie after all. Make believe? Its not like I said "oh youre stupid for doing that, everything you say is dumb" all I said was that its a bummer that you think about those things when watching a super hero movie. I also said no offense, sooo...I wasnt trying to offend him. Man. People get weirdly defensive about things on this forum.

I understand that people dont share the same opinion. But Aunt May isnt hot. The character of Aunt May, when she was created, and the basis of every iteration since, has been an old lady. Did you not see the sultry way she acted towards Peter at the end of the credits? I could say that youre weird for you not thinking a woman is almost hitting on her nephew isnt weird. And I didnt say his opinion was wrong or anything, I just felt bad for him because he over analyzes things to the point, to me, that he cant enjoy them. It is a movie after all. Make believe? Its not like I said "oh youre stupid for doing that, everything you say is dumb" all I said was that its a bummer that you think about those things when watching a super hero movie. I also said no offense, sooo...I wasnt trying to offend him. Man. People get weirdly defensive about things on this forum.

Someone needs a snickers

fe5a60d8565b947debe271d7da6c59d7.jpg

Two things... This version of Aunt May, like a lot of the MCU, draws heavy inspiration from the Ultimate universe, where she is, in fact, this age. And two, I saw nothing "sultry" in the look she gave him in the post-credits scene.

--Jonah

Two things... This version of Aunt May, like a lot of the MCU, draws heavy inspiration from the Ultimate universe, where she is, in fact, this age. And two, I saw nothing "sultry" in the look she gave him in the post-credits scene.

--Jonah

I know, and Im not a fan of the Ultimate universe, so thats why Marisa Tomei casting wise is weird to me. Everyone I saw it with, from my friends to my mom and sister thought she was weird in the post credit scene. Differing opinions I guess. I just hope they dont make some sort of love interest out of her and tony, considering Pepper isnt in the picture anymore for whatever reason.

Remember when nick fury was white?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back