Revell 1/2256 Venator WIP

computergeek

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

I've been slowly working on this since May and figured it was about time to create a WIP. I'm building Revell's 1/2256 Venator kit with fiber optics, lighted engines, and a scratch built hanger bay. I'm also using many 3d printed pieces from shapeways for the hangar, bridge, and engine exhaust patterns. This is my first real kit build (I did the Revell 1/4000 SD as a practice to learn airbrushing before this, but that doesn't really count), so comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

So far I've drilled most of my holes for the FO and began to run the .25mm tonight. I have some .5mm to run, but I need to order the filament

Krn5g0Pl.jpg

I've been playing with RGB LEDs to get the "right" blue for the FO (regular blue LEDs just don't do it for me :D). I think I have gotten pretty close with this combination

5zS0ZgHl.jpg

For the hanger I picked up some of the Oddysey Slipways Republic Gunships. I'm going to pick up some ARC 170's and troop transports soon to fill out the bay

zNx5maVl.jpg

AsuKVwql.jpg

And for the bridge section, I've cut out the window portions which will be replaced with something to give the appearance of windows. I am going to try to cut some pieces on my brother's laser cutter to glue in place, but the little slits may be too small. I've seen other builds use printed transparencies and diffusion material, which could also work.

The slits need some more cleanup

aIEZSeyl.jpg

Anyway, thanks for checking it out, comments/tips/tricks/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

G’day @computergeek ,

Took delivery of one of these myself awhile ago . Maybe my favourite vehicle / ship from the PT . Haven’t started on it yet , but having seen some terrific images of detailed ‘ lighted ‘ builds out there , I’m really looking forward to following a thread from the get go - before I get the opportunity to start on mine . Subbed !

For the ‘ windows ‘ , maybe consider scribing one side of clear thin acrylic sheet - add a thin wash for frames / details , and lightly sand other side to obtain a diffused effect ( side facing in ) , all prior to carefully cutting out and positioning ?

(y)cheersGed

Last edited:
Excellent, it's great to see people still enjoying this kit! I look forward to seeing how yours progresses, You're doing a lot of similar things to what I did on mine.

Off to a good start

Thanks! I'll keep this thread updated with progress. I don't get as much time as I'd like for modeling, so it may take awhile.

G’day @computergeek ,

Took delivery of one of these myself awhile ago . Maybe my favourite vehicle / ship from the PT . Haven’t started on it yet , but having seen some terrific images of detailed ‘ lighted ‘ builds out there , I’m really looking forward to following a thread from the get go - before I get the opportunity to start on mine . Subbed !

For the ‘ windows ‘ , maybe consider scribing one side of clear thin acrylic sheet - add a thin wash for frames / details , and lightly sand other side to obtain a diffused effect ( side facing in ) , all prior to carefully cutting out and positioning ?

(y)cheersGed

Good idea on the windows! I'm hoping my lasercut styrene will work out to give the windows some depth, but if not, I'll give that a try!

I definitely reccommend going on Shapeways and picking up some drop in replacement parts. The bridge especially looks much better than the original pieces.

Here's engine inserts to get a good light effect when you install the LEDs

https://www.shapeways.com/product/87FNQLFCR/engine-inserts?optionId=2208995&li=ostatus

And here's the vendor that makes just about everything else-

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/cosmosmodels?section=1/2256+Fleet&s=0

You can go crazy on these upgrades if you want, I'm just sticking with the hangar bay, bridge, and engines.

Excellent, it's great to see people still enjoying this kit! I look forward to seeing how yours progresses, You're doing a lot of similar things to what I did on mine.

Thanks! Do you have a thread or pictures? I'd love to take a look!

I can do one up when I get home tonight
Thanks so much for your thread. Lots of useful info!!

Small progress update, I've been adding some styrene panel greeblies to the top hull. Still have more to add but this is as much as I can do before the holidays and moving to a new apartment. I'll have a much better model space :)

Happy holidays everyone!
3e08f73f67e6248e2cbac7a3676a077c.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your thread. Lots of useful info!!

Small progress update, I've been adding some styrene panel greeblies to the top hull. Still have more to add but this is as much as I can do before the holidays and moving to a new apartment. I'll have a much better model space :)

Happy holidays everyone!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171224/3e08f73f67e6248e2cbac7a3676a077c.jpg

On this picture... What did you use to weather the model? It looks awesome!

I'm happy to be crazy :)

On this picture... What did you use to weather the model? It looks awesome!

Oh, thats not weathering! I jumped the gun on painting and then was stripping it down because the model glue just globs up on acrylics.

But its just acrylic paint stripped with rubbing alcohol and 800 grit sandpaper. You could probably replicate it by sanding down a light black coat over your base color.

Oh, thats not weathering! I jumped the gun on painting and then was stripping it down because the model glue just globs up on acrylics.

But its just acrylic paint stripped with rubbing alcohol and 800 grit sandpaper. You could probably replicate it by sanding down a light black coat over your base color.

The effect it created is freaking awesome I think... So cool that's a lot of times I noticed... When taking a lot of time it anytime just misses it.. but when rushing it some times it just gets perfect... Like this..
It's not something for this ship but for other models/parts. :)

Ok, sorry for the long time before an update... Was mostly doing the mundane work of running fiber optics. Thanks for asking gedmac66, it's nice to know people are looking at this build :)

Anyway, here's how the main hull stands-

z7ybxz0.jpg

gTgoYev.jpg

I don't even want to know how many fiber optic strands it ended up being.. And I have a few more to add to the hangars.

Speaking of the hangars, I decided to cut the other one out and build an extended hangar/flight deck ala EA's Battlefront 2. Haven't made much progress scratch building, I need to draw everything out first!

I bought some more of Odyssey Slipway's 1/2256 ships to go in the hangar/outside the ship. They're working on a Y-wing, but aren't sure if it's going to work out (given the tiny nature of the model). Just in case, I found a 3d model of a Y-wing on Thingiverse and printed it on my nice, new DLP printer (Wanhao Duplicator 7). It came out well for the tiny scale!

8onzX7e.jpg

I primed a small part of the side to see how the fiber optics would look (to be sure it would work!), and I liked the effect!

ITUbGPb.jpg

Onto the engines- The 4 big engines have been painted. I used Vallejo Air Gunmetal with a light spritz of Vallejo Black Metal on top. Going to do some more weathering a bit later, but here's how they look now

gjfKPcz.jpg

nkCw7Zy.jpg

I also got the shapeways engine inserts installed, they look great! Only took a pic of 2 of them, but they all have the insert

75fPtTM.jpg

I did some work on the 2 tiny engines and found that a 1.5mm strand of FO filament "mushroomed" with a soldering iron did a great job for lighting effects-

FPmERsG.jpg

ClUSrkq.jpg

Ok, now for the coolest part (and the reason I was waiting until tonight to post!). After trying a few different methods, I've finally been able to make decent window covers for the bridge window sections! I tried laser cutting .01" styrene, that either melted the whole area or didn't cut through, then I spent a few hours today playing with calibration settings on my printer to 3d print them. It's not quite as sharp as I'd like it to be, but I think its the best I'm going to get.

soZFrf3.jpg

xV2aso3.jpg

I don't think the printer is going to be able to produce a smaller one (for the other slits I cut), so I'm going to have to expand those to be the same size hole. I didn't want to do that, but I think its going to be the only way.

Here's 2 more pictures of the model in its current state-

tOL8oMn.jpg

hUvJCqo.jpg

Next step- I think I'm finally ready to paint the main hull! Still need to assemble the other engines, wire the lighting, finish the bridge, but its coming along very nicely!

I'm now on a timetable to finish this model.. I found out about Wonderfest about a month ago and have decided to make a "Republic Battle Group" diorama. I have a JPG Productions 1/2256 Acclamator to work on next, and a few Odyssey Slipways Light Republic Cruisers. I'll be doing some interesting things to light the engines on those, I'll definitely create a thread about it (or just add it onto this one!)

Thank you all for reading, now to get back to work!

I'm not a fan of the episode 1-3 but i like these ships and your build inspired me :) Think i shoud also buildt this one.

I'm not a fan of the episode 1-3 but i like these ships and your build inspired me :) Think i shoud also buildt this one.

Thanks! Its a really nice kit and there are lots of other builds I've been drawing inspiration from. The availability of drop-in replacement parts is cool too because they really make this kit shine!

Hey computergeek ,

Thanks for sharing your updates again , and no worries about asking - I’d subbed earlier on in Dec for purely research purposes :devil!!!
You know that saying about having ‘ eyes bigger than your stomach ‘ !? ... well that’s me ! :facepalm

I’m in the middle of building a Deago MF , but I made the mistake of coming onto the RPF in between various stages of waiting for parts and parts to dry/cure with that , and that got me hooked/inspired by talented modellers to attempt some other builds ( ostensibly ) after completing the MF .
Since late August ( 2017 ) I’ve managed to acquire a Revell Venator , Revell 1/4000 SD and Zvezda SD ... they’re all just sitting there on the shelf , waiting patiently for some TLC :lol

Getting back on topic - congratulations on securing your own 3D printer and printing out a cool windowframe replacement . Just a thought , regarding your plan to expand the other window areas because you won’t be able to print out a smaller framework for them .

Although I’m still aways off from starting on my SD’s , I have been keeping an eye out for parts and components for them , and something I’ve come across as possible window frame replacements are the K&S diamond mesh at 1/8” for the larger section , and 5/64” for the smaller ones ... that’s if my original plan to hand scribe them on clear styrene falls flat !:rolleyes

Anyhoo , looking forward to seeing more updates !

:cheersGed

p.s. terrific tip regarding the lighting of the smallest engines ! Thanks .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @computergeek ,

Thanks for sharing your updates again , and no worries about asking - I’d subbed earlier on in Dec for purely research purposes :devil!!!
You know that saying about having ‘ eyes bigger than your stomach ‘ !? ... well that’s me ! :facepalm

I’m in the middle of building a Deago MF , but I made the mistake of coming onto the RPF in between various stages of waiting for parts and parts to dry/cure with that , and that got me hooked/inspired by talented modellers to attempt some other builds ( ostensibly ) after completing the MF .
Since late August ( 2017 ) I’ve managed to acquire a Revell Venator , Revell 1/4000 SD and Zvezda SD ... they’re all just sitting there on the shelf , waiting patiently for some TLC :lol

Getting back on topic - congratulations on securing your own 3D printer and printing out a cool windowframe replacement . Just a thought , regarding your plan to expand the other window areas because you won’t be able to print out a smaller framework for them .

Although I’m still aways off from starting on my SD’s , I have been keeping an eye out for parts and components for them , and something I’ve come across as possible window frame replacements are the K&S diamond mesh at 1/8” for the larger section , and 5/64” for the smaller ones ... that’s if my original plan to hand scribe them on clear styrene falls flat !:rolleyes

Anyhoo , looking forward to seeing more updates !

p.s. terrific tip regarding the lighting of the smallest engines ! Thanks .

Thanks, and about the photo etch- I saw that Darph Bobo had used some in his fantastic build (thread here, I see you commented on it so the link is really for others :D), but the particular brand he used doesn't seem to be made any more. I can't seem to find the K&S stuff either, they seem to have discontinued their mesh line.

I'd probably rather use photo etch over my printed parts, I just went my own route because I couldn't find stuff in stock. I see that Royal Models makes a diamond mesh, but I'm not sure it would fit right.

On the models- I did a similar thing! I got the Venator around May of last year (my first model in years), and slowly descended down the rabbit hole. Now I have a respectable amount of kits waiting for me to build them!

Coming along nicely

Those window frames look perfect!

Thanks! I may revisit them to see if I can get the details sharper, but I think I'm happy for now!

Hey @computergeek ,

In case you’re interested - and by no means am I implying anything else but , in case you are ...

That etch @Darph Bobo used was sold through HLJ ( now discontinued ) , but I found it at ‘ acustion.net ‘ , under ‘ ATS - 7907 1/12 radiator panel ‘ . Not cheap though .

K&S mesh can be found at ‘ Multifilla.com ‘ , under ‘ Photo etched mesh 1/8” diamond ‘ . They’ve got various sizes ranging from 1/8 - 3/64” (2 - 0.5mm) .

Sorry I don’t know how to link . You’d type in what’s between the inverted commas .

I’m in no way affiliated with these companies , just came across them after looking for replacement windows for my eventual Venator build that’s all .

p.s. Just found out that if you touch ( I’m using an iPad ) the multifilla info , it’ll take you to the website !? How’s that work ?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back