Rogue One Rebel Soldier Helmet

About to finish my helmet. Already spent too much time on it. But there are still so many open questions.

Foto 29.07.17, 01 18 39 (1).jpgFoto 29.07.17, 01 18 13.jpgFoto 29.07.17, 01 18 06.jpg

Very nice! :thumbsup

I really like that you added what looks like texture to the blast shield. Very cool personal touch. Also, that bands look spot on. Excellent work, mate

I would really love to know were they got those rubber bands from.

Given how long this thread has gone on I'm surprised no one seems to have figured this out. They got them from the same place Vietnam era soldiers got them. They're cut from tire inner tubes (bicycle inner tubes work just fine, though GI's used ones from truck tires). Also, it seems that most of the M1 type helmets showing up in screen caps are Austrian M72 patterns (based on the unique double hook pattern on the chin strap). But, since it's fantastically unlikely that EVERY. SINGLE. HELMET. used in the film was of that type, it shouldn't be an issue to use another variant. If your researching props or costumes made from real world military gear, I humbly suggest researching the original military use, rather that limiting your search to looking at film /episode related info. I've found it illuminating.

That was one of the first thoughts. But when you look at the bands they are manufactured and not cut from a tube.

Given how long this thread has gone on I'm surprised no one seems to have figured this out. They got them from the same place Vietnam era soldiers got them. They're cut from tire inner tubes (bicycle inner tubes work just fine, though GI's used ones from truck tires). Also, it seems that most of the M1 type helmets showing up in screen caps are Austrian M72 patterns (based on the unique double hook pattern on the chin strap). But, since it's fantastically unlikely that EVERY. SINGLE. HELMET. used in the film was of that type, it shouldn't be an issue to use another variant. If your researching props or costumes made from real world military gear, I humbly suggest researching the original military use, rather that limiting your search to looking at film /episode related info. I've found it illuminating.

I've been working on this thing for a while now. This helmet has been the most fun and somehow simultaneously the most frustrating thing I've worked on so far, granted I'm relatively new to whole costume building. Anywho I'm thinking about scrapping my initial attempt at this helmet and starting over. Anybody still doing runs of the blastshield?

Well... that wasn't my latest quote about that rubber band. As you can see above, I got rubber bands (with the seam in the middle) made out of tubes. Anyway its not that easy to find the right tubes.

To be honest, I think the first thing everyone does, is researching the original military use (especially when it comes to Starwars. Anyway. Thank you for this Pro- Advise.

- - - Updated - - -

That was one of the first thoughts. But when you look at the bands they are manufactured and not cut from a tube.

I think they are cutted. If you stretch roughly cutted ones, the look like the ones in the movies.

I had a miss print but the sled with the AAA battery fits and the wire work, Im printing a new one now that will hopefully print out. being tall and thin its a little tricky.
View attachment 741558View attachment 741557
Availability as soon as I have ensured its a good proof of concept. I will print in batches of 10 and include the torch too.

Any progress on this?

Will have some spare time in the near future and the R1 helmet is definately on my ToDo list :cool

Thats looking great Chris23. its come up really well!
Sorry for the delay onall things exciting, I had a bit of a health problem but getting better. After the 17 oct if all is well you should see me kicking around here a bit more.

Thats looking great Chris23. its come up really well!
Sorry for the delay onall things exciting, I had a bit of a health problem but getting better. After the 17 oct if all is well you should see me kicking around here a bit more.

Welcome back Canny...wish you a speedy recovery!

Hi Everyone I made a soldier helmet armour for my M1 helmet I am in the UK I saw one for sale for $125 plus shipping to the UK that will end up being around £200 no I don't think so , Anyway I made one from EVA Foam just by looking at pictures I managed it coated it with wood glue then primed and painted it I wor it to a comicon recently and loads of people asked me where I got it I will post some pictures tomorrow of it but I weathered it and I think it's ok

Hi Everyone I made a soldier helmet armour for my M1 helmet I am in the UK I saw one for sale for $125 plus shipping to the UK that will end up being around £200 no I don't think so , Anyway I made one from EVA Foam just by looking at pictures I managed it coated it with wood glue then primed and painted it I wor it to a comicon recently and loads of people asked me where I got it I will post some pictures tomorrow of it but I weathered it and I think it's ok

TO each his own...$125 is a VERY good deal for a finished helmet, based on a real M1!!!...can´t blame the seller for s&h / import charges ;)

Interested to see your approach of the blast-shield

- - - Updated - - -
canister
are you back, alive and kicking by now? ;)
Still in need of your updated/ upgraded lamp for my helmet :cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Alley the weathering on the fabric looks freak’n awesome!! What the heck did you do to pull that off?

You know mine is just sitting in the case not touched.. I really lost interest in it not having a connection to the film.. Idk

But seeing your work makes me want to jump back on this project

Thanks!

The weathering of the cover was achieved first, with a couple of spray downs with espresso. (The helmet currently has the light smell of a coffee shop ;) )

Following that, I used basic modeler’s weathering techniques of using diluted paint washes, applied with sponges, and various shades of pastels applied with brushes along the high spots and thread lines. This was followed by some weathering of the actual surface of the cover with light grits of sandpaper and steel wool.

I used Super 77 to adhere the cover to the helmet, which worked fantastically.

So far, this is a super fun project!

Alley the weathering on the fabric looks freak’n awesome!! What the heck did you do to pull that off?

You know mine is just sitting in the case not touched.. I really lost interest in it not having a connection to the film.. Idk

But seeing your work makes me want to jump back on this project

Thanks!

The weathering of the cover was achieved first, with a couple of spray downs with espresso. (The helmet currently has the light smell of a coffee shop ;) )

Following that, I used basic modeler’s weathering techniques of using diluted paint washes, applied with sponges, and various shades of pastels applied with brushes along the high spots and thread lines. This was followed by some weathering of the actual surface of the cover with light grits of sandpaper and steel wool.

I used Super 77 to adhere the cover to the helmet, which worked fantastically.

So far, this is a super fun project!

I was seriously wondering if you used coffee! I would have never thought of glueing the fabric to the helmet! That’s a really good idea

8545475D-1DF8-4D70-AE8D-DB7C6FC42C4C.jpeg
BF871AF4-7414-4D24-A22A-99CF2EC7D5FF.jpeg
I know that the debate is still ongoing regarding the color of the blast shield, but I’ll be going with a very dark olive drab for my base color, based upon these photos...I definitely see green as the base color of the blast shield, with perhaps an overspray of a dark, almost black, blue.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back