My first Studio Scale Build! Green Leader Y-wing.

I wouldn't use that piece TBH.
It looks like that flexible plastic that paint doesn't like to stick to.
The shape looks good but make sure it will later...

Does anyone know what this is? I found it randomly on my floor...and then I found a great place for it on my y-wing...but I need another one.

It reminds me of the compression fittings you find on the inside of fancy home audio banana cable ends.

View attachment 753042View attachment 753043

I wouldn't use that piece TBH.
It looks like that flexible plastic that paint doesn't like to stick to.
The shape looks good but make sure it will later...

Good point. It's planted. I'll see how the primer does on it. I can pop it off if it doesn't work out.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Attachments

• IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
    523.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
It's about time for an update. I had to put the project on the side for a bit back at the end of august for my annual trip to Dragoncon in Atlanta, and then I lost a bit of steam and just needed a break from the bench for a bit.

But here we go! I am pretty much done planting nurnies, I am currently working on my pipes and also blueprinting a way to retrofit at power source and circuit into the kit to run my LEDs for the cockpit and engines...I got so caught up in my build I didn't realize my mistake until I was about 75% done. I have come up with a good idea that I think is going to work out perfectly!

I decided to warm up my paint brushes on the cockpit. After checking out of few others schemes, and then trying a few things out I finally decided to do something a little different and gave it a bit of a steampunk flavor. Pretty happy with it, just have a tiny bit touch up here and there, and also some slight weathering to do and some painting of lights and buttons.

liPma36.jpgxwtNgQv.jpg

Next bit is to route the fiber. and circuit. I am trying to work out a way to have my canopy removable, possibly with magnets. We'll see how that works out. If I can't get magnets to work and look good, then I'll just use canopy glue that can be easily cut away. The idea being to be able to service any of the LEDs if they need it.

So here she sits at the moment...no pipes planted yet. Exterior scheme is going to be Gold Leader

y1.jpgy2.jpgy3.jpgy4.jpgy5.jpgy6.jpg

The little gap at the bottom of the Saturn V rockets in the last pic is gone, I ended up trimming the 4 fins a bit shorter, I didn't like how much they were poking out of the rear of the Cans.

Last edited:
So here is how I ended up handling the routing of my circuit for my lights. I think they will mix in nicely with the other pipes, especially after it's painted...I like to think of it as a patch up electrical repair that was done on the ship...which is pretty much exactly what it is, and I think it is in line with the slap dash character of the y-wing.

Y-ELEC1.jpgY-ELEC2.jpgY-ELEC3.jpgY-ELEC4.jpgY-ELEC5.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah - Guts On the OUTSIDE!!! Looks good, and solves a problem nicely if you thought "too late" about wiring (like someone else I know did/is doing/may continue to do).

Nice workaround.

Curious. At what point did guys lay down your primer? Before or after you ran your pipes?

I started planting pipes, but then stopped because the pipes are creating blockages over some of the areas...I wonder if it would be better to prime the main body first and then lay the pipes, or do I dummy fit all the pipes, pull them off and prime them separately, then plant them?

These are the parts of the build that give me anxiety.

Definitely prime before adding the pipes. you might even want to paint and weather too. The pipes are (usually) a different color. On the original models they went back and painted the pipes, by hand, after they were assembled. That's fine for a model that's whizzing by on the screen but for something that's going to be looked at closely it'll be nicer to paint the pipes separately and then glue down with a little cyano. If you get a gloss spot from the glue you can always hit it with a little clear flat.

I didn't want to have a naked LED mounted on the inside of the tube. I wanted to find someway to diffuse the light source and I wanted it to mount at the very tail end of the inside of the cylinder right behind the avid heat sinks. So, through a bunch of highly technical eyeballing and head scratching...I basically got lucky.

It turns out the inside diameter of the bottom of these mixing cup bases is exactly the same diameter of the inside of the engine nozzle (eyeballing). So I mixed up a little resin with a drop of red food color...and I got my lens!

lens1.jpglens2.jpglens3.jpglens4.jpglens5.jpg

The best part is that you know that's how ILM solved a lot of their problems. Like the paint buckets for the Blockade Runner head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Still have some light blocking to do, but she's got her base coat on (mostly).

How do I tone down these LEDs...like a lot? They aren't as bright as they look in pictures, but they are still very bright. I could use them about 60% dimmer than they are.

I know that I can add resistors to the circuit to bring them down a bit, but I'm not to keen on hacking back into the circuit now that it is installed. I was also thinking of just using something like Tamiya's Smoke on the lenses.

y_lighting_00.jpgy_lighting_01.jpgy_lighting_02.jpgy_lighting_03.jpgy_lighting_04.jpgy_lighting_05.jpgy_lighting_06.jpgy_lighting_07.jpgy_lighting_08.jpgy_lighting_09.jpg

Last edited:
LED tube1.jpg

Looking super!

What I did was put my LEDS inside a tube of evergreen (about 3" long) that fit into the heat sink. You can in turn slide your LEDS around in the tube to narrow down the intensity by setting them back until you're happy.

Cheers

Ron

Last edited:
View attachment 783194

Looking super!

What I did was put my LEDS inside a tube of evergreen (about 3" long) that fit into the heat sink. You can in turn slide your LEDS around in the tube to narrow down the intensity by setting them back until you're happy.

Cheers

Ron

Thank you! This looks like it is going to work really well for the engines. I did a quick test fit this morning before work, and it definitely brought the brightness down. Then I think I am just going to use a few layers of Tamiya transparent green and yellow on the gauges in the cock pit.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back