The Ultimate Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi Real Vintage Parts Lightsaber Group

Hey NeoRutty ! When I installed the D-ring on my Roman's MK1 FX I just spread it open with a set of needle nose pliers just far enough open to slip over the cube, and then I crimped it back shut with the inner jaw grooves of some Channel Lock pliers and the round cutouts of my crimping needle nose pliers. Didn't cut any of the D-ring ends off or anything. Works just fine! In fact, I can tell it's not 100% parallel in there because it hangs up ever so slightly, which is fine by me because it means that it cannot flop around at all! It moves when I want it to, but not on its own. ;) I only wish I had wrapped the pliers before crimping the D-ring back shut as they bit into the D-ring somehow. I thought I was being careful, but it's nothing I couldn't fix with a little sand paper. I keep meaning to ask Romans Empire if the D-rings are stainless steel or just chromed mild steel. I guess I could just slap a magnet on it and see if it sticks, hmmm... well, that settles that, it's chromed mild steel. Maybe that's why I never sanded it? Oh well, I'm better prepared for the next one I suppose!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey @NeoRutty ! When I installed the D-ring on my Roman's MK1 FX I just spread it open with a set of needle nose pliers just far enough open to slip over the cube, and then I crimped it back shut with the inner jaw grooves of some Channel Lock pliers and the round cutouts of my crimping needle nose pliers. Didn't cut any of the D-ring ends off or anything. Works just fine! In fact, I can tell it's not 100% parallel in there because it hangs up ever so slightly, which is fine by me because it means that it cannot flop around at all! It moves when I want it to, but not on its own. ;) I only wish I had wrapped the pliers before crimping the D-ring back shut as they bit into the D-ring somehow. I thought I was being careful, but it's nothing I couldn't fix with a little sand paper. I keep meaning to ask @Romans Empire if the D-rings are stainless steel or just chromed mild steel. I guess I could just slap a magnet on it and see if it sticks, hmmm... well, that settles that, it's chromed mild steel. Maybe that's why I never sanded it? Oh well, I'm better prepared for the next one I suppose!

The last D-ring I tried it on, the pliers chewed holes in it while trying to seperate. This I was able to open easily once the cuts were made cuz I could hook on of the ends on an edge and pull.

When I squeezed it back together it went so easily I realized that if I could just pull it open without the cuts, this would work much better... and I figured a way to pull them apart... just need to get another D-ring (the others I have are slightly too thick to get into the hole)

Question : Which position of the pommel cubes would you prefer and why ... the ones as seen on the Tunesia lightsaber (1st in below picture) or the ones seen in the after production pictures?

OB1%20Chronicles%20vs%20Tunesia_zps6uqdjkmd.JPG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Hey Sym-Cha ! I have my Roman's MK1 FX set up more like the Chronicles version where there is a cube lined up with the Bubble Card and the D-ring Cube is about 5 Booster Fins from the Lever-side edge of the Clamp Card Holder.

Reason: It orients both the Bubble Card and the Transistors out away from my leg when hanging on my lightsaber belt so that both are visible to anyone looking at it while I'm wearing it. Even if it is mostly just me looking at myself in the mirror.

It also allows the D-ring to act as a kickstand for the lightsaber and points the Bubble Strip straight up when I set it down on my shelf. ;)

Thanks Ridire Firean ... perhaps I should have been more clear since I also refered my inquiry to the position of the longer vs. shorter slope/angle of the pommel cubes itself :)

The Tunesia lightsaber has the original postion as they came on the water tabs ... whereas the Mechanismo/Chronicles pictures have them turned 180º as seen here :

ASHandwheelD-Ring01.JPG

Chaïm

Last edited:
Ahh! In that case, Chronicles there too.

Reason: It makes the lightsaber more aerodynamic when Force Locked On and thrown at the enemy.

No, really, I guess it's just because that's the way it looks in the Chronicles photo. I continue to forget that the cubes are oriented differently in the On Screen Shots. I guess mine is a real mess, 'cuz I have two washers on mine as well. I really like how scottjua has his single washer on top of his rear Transistor. I have to remember to check for his thread to see what he used for it!

I just thought of an argument for setting up the cubes with the longer edge towards the emitter as seen in the On Screen Shots that has nothing to do with the fact that it was seen that way on the screen...

When the lightsaber is viewed from the emitter end, the angle of the cubes seem more symmetrical. Kind of like how Michaelangelo carved his David with a giant head and hands, since it was meant to be viewed from below while the statue was high above on a pedestal. In doing so it made David's head and hands look like they were the correct size, and not wee bitty Whopper Jr. Hands and head. Thus, if you were more inclined to show your lightsaber from the business end, the emitter, you could orient your cubes On Screen Shot Style to convey to the viewer/fool them that the cube edges were symmetrical.

Or something like that. BEER!

Okay so here's where I'm at, missing one pretty important part... the bubble strip... and this JUST happened today!

So we're moving, and when showing our place to the people who ended up buying, our realtor moved a few things around in my area just to make it look a little more presentable. No biggie. I knew that was a possiblity... BUT NOT THAT DAY.

I had my bubble strip on the work station with tape and ready to sand down... I went looking for it for this pic, and I can't find it ANYWHERE on my desk.

Not gonna panic, I'm sure it will turn up as I pack over the next few days. But if it IS missing... oh man. The search will go on?!

ANYWAY, with a temp Wannawanga bubble strip, here's where it's at...

[
33811076232_bfe7e76527_c.jpg

I may bug my dealer (Teecrooz) for lower profile transistors... but for the most part, all parts are accounted for (well... one is MIA... but it's here)

I'll update with proper pics down the line.

Kind of like how Michaelangelo carved his David with a giant head and hands, since it was meant to be viewed from below while the statue was high above on a pedestal. In doing so it made David's head and hands look like they were the correct size, and not wee bitty Whopper Jr. Hands and head. Or something like that. BEER!

Like so?

DarthDavidII.jpg

. . . sorry ... I could not resist to post this picture again :lol

NeoRutty ... first you loose your windvane pin ... and now a bubblestrip is missing in action? Are you certain we can trust you
with a vintage parts lightsaber or should we get worried ... see picture :

Luke%20lightsaber%20OB1_zpsrugtlgql.jpg

Chaïm

Last edited:
I don't have any original parts, but I have assembled my own romans MK1. And a friend commissioned me recently to install his Dring on his MK1

I use these tools here to open the d ring. I just snipe a 1/16 off each side.

It's tough because the D ring supplied with romans tends to crack the finish and it flakes off
4f1201906645124f81a801b878528b7d.jpg

The top is some mini bolt cutters which works great!

Middle is smooth jaw plumbers pliers (to close the d ring after you spread it)

Bottom is jewelers needle nose pliers, they have nylon ends so when you spread the D ring it doesn't scratch the inside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay so here's where I'm at, missing one pretty important part... the bubble strip... and this JUST happened today!

So we're moving, and when showing our place to the people who ended up buying, our realtor moved a few things around in my area just to make it look a little more presentable. No biggie. I knew that was a possiblity... BUT NOT THAT DAY.

I had my bubble strip on the work station with tape and ready to sand down... I went looking for it for this pic, and I can't find it ANYWHERE on my desk.

Not gonna panic, I'm sure it will turn up as I pack over the next few days. But if it IS missing... oh man. The search will go on?!

ANYWAY, with a temp Wannawanga bubble strip, here's where it's at...

[https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2939/33811076232_bfe7e76527_c.jpg

I may bug my dealer (Teecrooz) for lower profile transistors... but for the most part, all parts are accounted for (well... one is MIA... but it's here)

I'll update with proper pics down the line.

That emitter is incredible! I really like the weathering on it. Is that how it arrived or did you do some work on it?

Nice build man. I hope you find your bubbles!

Just wondering. How many parts do we have to have to join the Real-Vintage-Parts group?
I have everything except the ANM2 booster but since this is one of the rarest and most expensive parts it could be quite some time before I can complete my saber.

userd1402 ... you're very welcome to join us ... who knows you might even get the vintage parts you seek sooner by posting your pictures here because you'll be on our radar :)

Chaïm

@NeoRutty ... first you loose your windvane pin ... and now a bubblestrip is missing in action? Are you certain we can trust you
with a vintage parts lightsaber or should we get worried ... see picture :

How DARE you, sir! :D

I still have horrible dreams about that pin!

Bubble strip is around somewhere... It took my 4 months to find where my realtor hid the remote to the fire place, I'll find this bubble strip as well!

- - - Updated - - -

That emitter is incredible! I really like the weathering on it. Is that how it arrived or did you do some work on it?

That's how it arrived. I definitely don't want to touch it... it's great.

I have touched the grenade..took off the paint and a really bad rust stain that only ran down one line of cubes, the length of the saber. Really stood out when you turned it in your hand... just beautiful grenade then BAM rust.

All fixed.

Well since Ridire Firean requested updated pictures and the weather was actually nice on Sunday (apparently where I'm at we've had the least amount of sunlight for March since they started recording these things :wacko) I couldn't resist taking some beauty shots of my baby in it's more or less completed form.

What's changed you ask?

• I swapped out boosters because the one I was using as the display piece still has the weld spot intact and a little bit more weathered whereas the the I had been using had the weld broken off and was cleaner.
  • I swapped out the re-chromed sink tap I was using with my original chrome one once I had the D-ring holes drilled by NeoRutty and his buddy.
  • I swapped out my wind vane ring from one I traded teecrooz for that had a more pronounced groove so that it was more accurate. Still debating on whether I want to darken it or not to match the original patina on rest of the wind vane, but for now I like the contrast even though it might be a bit too bright.
  • Lastly, I've aligned everything as close as I could tell to the Chronicles pictures; i.e. weld alignment, D-ring alignment, etc...
I have some lower profile transistors on the way so I may toy with swapping those out when they get here and I see how they are... for whomever it was that wanted "date of completion" for these things... it's never 100% complete lol... there's always something....

But for now... enjoy!

IMG_4086_zpsgw7p8bj4.jpg

IMG_4096_zpsdd58jigv.jpg

IMG_4098_zpsois30weq.jpg

IMG_4100_zpseyswty6b.jpg

IMG_4084_zpsaticr3on.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4086_zpsgw7p8bj4.jpg
    IMG_4086_zpsgw7p8bj4.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_4096_zpsdd58jigv.jpg
    IMG_4096_zpsdd58jigv.jpg
    657 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_4098_zpsois30weq.jpg
    IMG_4098_zpsois30weq.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_4100_zpseyswty6b.jpg
    IMG_4100_zpseyswty6b.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_4084_zpsaticr3on.jpg
    IMG_4084_zpsaticr3on.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 313
I see many "finished" sabers without the screws and pins in the clamp...is the consensus NOT to add these since they were not seen on the screenused saber!?

Have mine disassembled for upgrading it with new parts, but struggling with adding these details to the clamp or not :(

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back