Another Snub Nosed Blade runner Blaster

Nick K

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all.
It's been a while since I have posted anything on this magnificent site, so I thought I would quickly share with you a project that I started last year after seeing an inspirational thread on the RPF by Dave G. Thankyou again Dave for the wonderful ideas and inspiration that you gave me. I hope you like this thread. Please click the link below to see this great thread if you already haven't seen it.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/blade-runner-38-cal-detective-special-blaster-225251/

After viewing the site and making notes I decided to make one of these blasters for myself out of MDF and Plastic. When I started this project I was taking pictures of the process, but alas, I don't know where I have installed them. Anyway, I started by using a drawing I had and traced this onto 12mm MDF. I then cut it out using the band saw, and looking at Dave's pictures, I cut out the inside pieces in the grip so that these would be filled with steel BB's later to add a bit of weight to the gun. I then cut out and glued some plastic sheet to the sides to give strength to them and also add the trigger area between them as well. The first grip plates I made, were from 9mm MDF. These looked Ok, but were a little on the plain side, so I made the next set from 6mm thick pine that I had lying around. After they were rasped,filed and sanded to shape, I used a Checking tool to cut the diamond pattern, and boy what a difference! as can be seen in the last picture.

IMG_9871.JPG IMG_9873.JPG IMG_9881.JPG IMG_9883.JPG IMG_9886.JPG IMG_9887.JPG IMG_9919.JPG IMG_3712 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9916.JPG
    IMG_9916.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_9917.JPG
    IMG_9917.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_9924.JPG
    IMG_9924.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Next I test fitted the plates to the grip to make sure everything lined up and also tested the "feel" for the gun. It is actually quite comfortable. The Chamber Sides with carved and sanded from 18mm thick MDF and test fitted to the sides. Then came adding details to them.

IMG_9890.JPG IMG_9893.JPG IMG_9895.JPG IMG_9922.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments, guys. Next I cut out the shape for the slide and breech block and rasped out the bottom edge to accommodate the aluminium tube barrel. I then took to the rest with a flat fine rasp and sandpaper and rounded it all off.As can be seen in some of the pictures, the chamber sides were carved out of MDF and sanded to shape using the reference photos I had.

IMG_9920.JPG IMG_9921.JPG

Sorry for the delay in posting pics, but have been busy elsewhere. Here are some pics of the blaster after I had finished it. I was really pleased with the overall finish and look and the way it turned out in the end. It is nice and comfortable to hold and has a good feel about it. I put it in my collection room with my other builds until... ( to be continued ):lol

IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3708.JPG IMG_3711.JPG IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3724.JPG IMG_3726.JPG

... I was invited to a birthday party and decided to give it away as our present. The box is an old Router Bit display box and I replaced the lid top with 3mm thinline as the ply one had a split in it. The 'H' grade (or high density grade) polystyrene was cut out using the bandsaw and worked out beautifully.

IMG_3876.JPG IMG_3877.JPG IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3880.JPG

.. until we were invited to a birthday party and I decided to use this as the gift. Couldn't have been better. The box is an old router bit set box and the 'H' grade polystyrene was cut using the band saw. The fabric I use for a backdrop for photo shoots with my models and I thought it would look good in the box to set off the orange.

IMG_3876 (2).JPG IMG_3877.JPG IMG_3878.JPG IMG_3880.JPG

Yes, this recipient was VERY pleased with this gift! ;) It's a great piece, highly detailed and a really cool size. Here are some photos for scale:

IMG_7675_zpsmjrt8mv3.jpg

...and compared to a Walther PPK:

IMG_7676_zpst7gotrya.jpg

Thanks again to Nick K for this amazing replica!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back