EV-9D9 head paintup

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Been working on painting up the fantastic EV-9D9 head sculpted and cast by zorg to add with my 8D8 and 2-1B.

The base colour was a pain to try to nail - blu-ray screencaps make it look a slightly different colour that the exhibition photos which are then a different colour again to the exhibition photos that have been taken with the flash on! In the end I went with a base of Rover Russet Brown with a light overcoat of Ford Roman Bronze - both spraycans from Halfords.

Again, weathering was tricky as the exhibition photos make the weathering look virtually non-existent. I went a bit heavier on the weathering that the actual prop may have, but worked well for how I thought she should look, and gave the weathering a little bit of a Boba Fett helmet feel, with multiple layers of different chipped colours rather than just drybrushed edges.

Also added brass tube in the eyes. I have LED's in the eyes, but they're the wrong colour ("white" instead of "warm white") so have ordered new ones and will swap them once they arrive.

3XF9tNj.jpg
3P8mCws.jpg
4kJAMwV.jpg

GQ3ozJA.jpg

dWDHnAY.jpg

I added aluminium mesh to the underside of the top jaw (as seen in the exhibition photos). I'm still toying with the idea of adding the lower jaw, but I'd need to find appropriate sized ribbing for the lower surface behind the jaw and I can't find anything that has half-inch wide half round rods with a low enough profile so they don't stick out from the edge overlap. If I stumble across something I'll likely go back and add the lower jaw, but for now she's done.

Attachments

• 3XF9tNj.jpg
    3XF9tNj.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 3P8mCws.jpg
    3P8mCws.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 75
  • 4kJAMwV.jpg
    4kJAMwV.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 61
  • GQ3ozJA.jpg
    GQ3ozJA.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 99
  • dWDHnAY.jpg
    dWDHnAY.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited by a moderator:
Good job man,

I only have warm white leds with my kits so unless I've been supplied the wrong ones they should be right.

-z

Good job man,

I only have warm white leds with my kits so unless I've been supplied the wrong ones they should be right.

-z

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you had supplied the wrong LED's. I had a pre-wired LED string of 10 LED's from Poundland that were the right size, so I was using that (wouldn't have to do any soldering or wiring at all). Those are the wrong colour though. I'm sure the ones you supplied with the kit are perfect. :thumbsup

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back