Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pre-release)

So what's the deal with Wedge? Is he still alive?
Just trying to think of what OT characters are left in the E9 timeline.
So far I can think of:
Lando
Wedge
Nien Numb (not sure if he was another off screen casualty in TLJ)
Although it seems like their treating these OT guys like red shirts in Star Trek now.

Wedge got injured in a bomb blast that was meant to take out the New Republic leadership about a year after Endor, but before the Battle of Jakku. Screwed his leg up enough that he might -- at the time -- never fly in combat again. He didn't like the idea of "flying a desk", but what ultimately happened still has yet to be laid out. Far as we know, he's still alive.

Lando reclaimed Cloud City. Beyond that, we don't know anything.

Mon Mothma is retired, but as of five years before TFA was still alive.

Boba's armor was found by Jawas. No further hints about him.

Nien Nunb is one of the survivors of Crait on the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ.

No word on folks like Cracken or Madine or Rieekan or similar that I know of.

Hera and Sabine are around shortly after ROTJ, but I have a feeling their story will be picked up in the not-too-distant future. Whether either of them, or Thrawn, or Ezra, or Hera and Canan's son Jacen are still around in the current setting, no one yet knows.

--Jonah

Although it seems like their treating these OT guys like red shirts in Star Trek now.

The only one left that hasn`t been been ripped to shreds in this ST disaster so far is Lando. There is still time for them to make him look stupid or kill him off as well in Ep Nein I suppose though.

If Disney had any kind of plan moving forward, Kenobi would be the film opening this May, then bring back Lando in Ep Nein and have him relevant for the Solo movie. Too bad huh.

Where'd all this come from?

Wedge got injured in a bomb blast that was meant to take out the New Republic leadership about a year after Endor, but before the Battle of Jakku. Screwed his leg up enough that he might -- at the time -- never fly in combat again. He didn't like the idea of "flying a desk", but what ultimately happened still has yet to be laid out. Far as we know, he's still alive.

Lando reclaimed Cloud City. Beyond that, we don't know anything.

Mon Mothma is retired, but as of five years before TFA was still alive.

Boba's armor was found by Jawas. No further hints about him.

Nien Nunb is one of the survivors of Crait on the Millennium Falcon at the end of TLJ.

No word on folks like Cracken or Madine or Rieekan or similar that I know of.

Hera and Sabine are around shortly after ROTJ, but I have a feeling their story will be picked up in the not-too-distant future. Whether either of them, or Thrawn, or Ezra, or Hera and Canan's son Jacen are still around in the current setting, no one yet knows.

--Jonah

The Wedge, Lando, and Boba stuff is from the Aftermath trilogy. Mon Mothma spoke out in support of Leia after her parentage was revealed in Bloodline. We saw Nien in those last shots on the Falcon in TLJ. And the Rebels characters we know from both Sabine's post-ROTJ epilogue on the Rebels finale, and from the Forces of Destiny series.

So what's the deal with Wedge? Is he still alive?
Just trying to think of what OT characters are left in the E9 timeline.
So far I can think of:
Lando
Wedge
Nien Numb (not sure if he was another off screen casualty in TLJ)

Agreed - bizarre that after paying 4B for the world built by the OT characters - Disney and LFL both seem to be fine with the telling them to get the hell out and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Agreed - bizarre that after paying 4B for the world built by the OT characters - Disney and LFL both seem to be fine with the telling them to get the hell out and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

OT characters have diminishing value to newer audiences.

Good God man....

I’m not saying that’s how I feel personally, I’m just saying the ancillary OT characters have diminishing value since the old EU was vacated. That’s the post I was responding to.

- - - Updated - - -

Then I don't understand why they are making a Han Solo movie and a possible Obi wan movie?

See above, we were talking about ancillary characters. A Boba Fett and Obi-wan film will be in the sooner then later list.

Last edited:
Good God man....

No bleep...

It's one thing to have diminishing value to newer audiences (whom, btw, ARE NOT the ones buy the most tickets, not even close), but it's quite another to basically treat them with total disregard and couldn't give a ^%$& mentality.

Is it REALLY that hard to move on AND treat them with care and respect? In short, it's not. They made a conscious decision to trash them.

The. Background. Characters.

Yeesh.

What spurred this current discussion. The Cult of Wedge is alive and well with us 40-somethings. Less so with those growing up with these new films. Even if they've watched the OT on home-video (on their own or with their parents). Wedge, Biggs, Lando's copilot, Captain Tarpals, Zam Wessel, Dannl Faytonni, Captain Panaka... Younger viewers who grew up with Clone Wars, Rebels, and the new films don't really know or care about them. If they pay any attention to ancillary characters, they're more likely to be Sidon Ithano, General Merrick, Tallie Lintra, and folks like that are the ones drawing interest now.

If it isn't in the movie then it doesn't matter.

If crucial information for a film is only able to be understood by reading a book, comic, watching a tv series, or playing a video game then it's a bad film. Those mediums can certainly compliment a film, but shouldn't be necessary to understand it.

It's almost impossible to tell who Disney is targeting these new SW films to and frankly I don't think it matters much unless they are going to release quality content with interesting stories and lovable characters. Otherwise what's the point of even watching them if they don't have (at the least) those two things?

They're also using supplemental "instruction manuals" to explain their poor writing and characters. For instance, the TLJ novelization.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rey-jedi-mind-trick/

“Kylo had retreated at finding Rey in his head – had practically fled from her. But that had not been the end of that strange, sudden connection. She had seen more – far more. Somehow, almost instinctually, she knew how he accessed some of the powers at his commend – even though she didn’t understand them. It was as if his training had become hers, unlocking and flinging open door after door in her mind”

Rey didn't just pull the Mind-trick from nowhere. She learned all her abilities from looking into Kylo's mind in TFA. So, not only does she turn that mind-probe back on Kylo, she absorbs his training.

They're too dense to realize that actually makes her even more of an insta-win Mary Sue, not less.

If it isn't in the movie then it doesn't matter.

If crucial information for a film is only able to be understood by reading a book, comic, watching a tv series, or playing a video game then it's a bad film. Those mediums can certainly compliment a film, but shouldn't be necessary to understand it.

It's almost impossible to tell who Disney is targeting these new SW films to and frankly I don't think it matters much unless they are going to release quality content with interesting stories and lovable characters. Otherwise what's the point of even watching them if they don't have (at the least) those two things?

Totally this. If it isn`t in the movie not only doesn`t it matter, it didn`t happen. OT characters are OT characters.

I keep hearing about this EU thing and it being "vacated" but have`nt they cherry picked certain things to fill holes and further muddy the waters?

The. Background. Characters.

Yeesh.

What spurred this current discussion. The Cult of Wedge is alive and well with us 40-somethings. Less so with those growing up with these new films. Even if they've watched the OT on home-video (on their own or with their parents). Wedge, Biggs, Lando's copilot, Captain Tarpals, Zam Wessel, Dannl Faytonni, Captain Panaka... Younger viewers who grew up with Clone Wars, Rebels, and the new films don't really know or care about them. If they pay any attention to ancillary characters, they're more likely to be Sidon Ithano, General Merrick, Tallie Lintra, and folks like that are the ones drawing interest now.

Exactly, they are more likely to make an Ahsoka movie then Wedge. Dennis Lawson turned down a part in TFA as it is.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back