"Slow" paced shooter game for PC Win 10?

joeranger

Sr Member
Greetings programs...

I was in the middle of Sniper 2 Ghost Warrior when I upgraded to Win 10 making all of my games useless. How do I pick a sniper/shooter game that does not require a super fast processor of advanced graphics card?

I watch my son play PS4 and there is no way I could keep up. Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 looks OK but still pretty complicated for me.

I loved Bohemia's Operation Flashpoint.

How about the Sniper Elite series? I started with 2 and went back to play 1 and... didn't like it. Too old and clunky. So maybe play V2 through 4. There's also a Zombie Army Trilogy based on Sniper Elite, though it's a little faster paced.

Check the minimum specs required against your own specs to make sure it'll work, but you shouldn't need the latest and greatest for those games.

I guess I should invest in some upgrades;) Graphics driver 18 months out of date??? Oops.

pc stats.png

I've had a lot of fun playing the latest Wolfenstein games. They're not sniper type games but I really enjoyed the storyline and I thought that the voice acting was top notch and the graphics are really nice too. I don't know what the system requirements are but I know that they'll run fine on mid end systems.

Is it a laptop or desktop?

The only spec that seemed off to me was the I7 at 2.7ghz. Mine's an i7-5860 (hex core) at 3.3 (stock, clocked at 4.1). I wouldn't think an i7-7500 would be 2.7 unless it was a laptop. Unless that's a typo and it's an i7-750, but that'd be 6(?) years old?

Don't worry much about the graphics driver, it can be updated to current very easily, just a software download.

Thanks cboath,

This is a temp laptop I got on ebay refurbished for $700. I like it because of the giant screen. I updated the Radeon driver and now it only says "10 months" out of date:)

As for games. I hate games that are a long "corridor" and one's which enemies will re-spawn indefinitely. I will check out the new Wolfenstein set. I remember my little brother playing it on an Apple ll. It was a big deal at the time.

Thanks cboath,

This is a temp laptop I got on ebay refurbished for $700. I like it because of the giant screen. I updated the Radeon driver and now it only says "10 months" out of date:)

As for games. I hate games that are a long "corridor" and one's which enemies will re-spawn indefinitely. I will check out the new Wolfenstein set. I remember my little brother playing it on an Apple ll. It was a big deal at the time.

The current Wolfenstein games were a lot of fun and I enjoyed them enormously. However, they're a far cry from the original ones from back in the old Apple II days. Obviously, the graphics are greatly improved, they're also much more story driven and is set in an alternate future.

I always revert back to the dark forces/jedi knight series.

You can make the older ones work in windows with but a couple issues that are easy to play through. The last 2-3 are windows compliant.

I'll second Sniper Elite V2 and III. My 2010 era rig can run them just fine, and they are fun.

You might also try Just Cause 2. Just Cause 3 is fun and all, but it's got some optimization issues. Just Cause 2 came with my rig, and is fun for just screwing around and blowing stuff up. Not a great story or voice acting, but very fun destruction and physics.

If you want slower paced games that aren't shooters, I can recommend TONS. Lots of turn-based strategy games, for example. RPGs as well.

I always revert back to the dark forces/jedi knight series.

You can make the older ones work in windows with but a couple issues that are easy to play through. The last 2-3 are windows compliant.

They all work fine with Windows, even the very first one. The only issue that I've encountered is that in Dark Forces 1 you can't look up and down with the mouse, you have to use the keyboard. Aside from that, I've played through all of them about a year or two ago and had no problems.

DF1 and DF2 are dos based but have utilities that let it run in windows. They flatly aren't windows based. At that, to run on current set up, i.e. make use of your resolution, you need tweaks available from steam groups. The drawbacks of the utilities to make them work in windows vary from system to system, but sometime cutscenes don't play (and just a handful at that, most do) and a couple end game weapons in DF1 aren't usable. But it doesn't detract from anything at all.

DF1 and DF2 are dos based but have utilities that let it run in windows. They flatly aren't windows based. At that, to run on current set up, i.e. make use of your resolution, you need tweaks available from steam groups. The drawbacks of the utilities to make them work in windows vary from system to system, but sometime cutscenes don't play (and just a handful at that, most do) and a couple end game weapons in DF1 aren't usable. But it doesn't detract from anything at all.

I don't remember where I got my copies, but they were digital downloads (not originals) and they all worked just fine on my Windows system, no hacks, apps, or tweaks necessary. I think I got them as part of a Steam bundle or something, but regardless, a current copy of the games will run just fine on Windows.

Dark Forces is still one of the best shooters i have ever played and i still play it on a regular basis to this day.

DF1 looks great on the DarkXL engine so if you want to play it make sure to download this update.

I don't remember where I got my copies, but they were digital downloads (not originals) and they all worked just fine on my Windows system, no hacks, apps, or tweaks necessary. I think I got them as part of a Steam bundle or something, but regardless, a current copy of the games will run just fine on Windows.

That's steam's after the fact installer that ties it to steam. There are files in there that run a dos emulator for the game. If you get community mods for those, you can run in much higher resolution and fix things like not being able to look up and down with the mouse.

If install and run from steam or the desktop icon, it looks like it's a windows app, but it's not. It runs a dos emulator which runs DF.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back