Today is 30th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation

CessnaDriver

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
"Star Trek: The Next Generation" turns 30
http://kticradio.com/abc_entertai/star-trek-the-next-generation-turns-30-abcid35974975/

star-trek-the-next-generation-season-1-cast-promo.jpg

Damn, I'm really am getting old. I hated it when it first came out and didn't watch it again for years.

I remember the premiere and I was not all that thrilled with the whole living inside the space jellyfish angle, and the Enterprise D huge saucer seemed
so incredibly out of proportion, and we had been forewarned about kids on the ship. Something I wasn't thrilled about either.
But I never missed an episode after to say the least.

Watched it that eventful night and knew that it was going to be a sucess, even though the Pilot was rough around the edges

Bringing back a lot of bittersweet memories for me, as quite a few people have moved on to the next adventure.

I remember dreading to see Jimmy Doohan and telling him he was wrong about catching lightning in a bottle again

I watched the pilot, hated most everything about it, and proceeded to watch every episode over the next seven years.

I still don't like the damn ship...

I watched the pilot, hated most everything about it, and proceeded to watch every episode over the next seven years.

I still don't like the damn ship...

haha me too!
I was in MAJOR denial about this old looking guy being the captain.
I kept telling myself Riker was the actual captain.

In college, our sci-fi club got on good terms with the local affiliate and they brought the premiere on 3/4" video tape to show to us a few days early. They even let me dub it to VHS while it ran. I was surprised he didn't mind, but he said I could tape it off the air anyway, so what's the difference. To me, it was the much higher quality! (And only the as-fed commercials, not the locally inserted ones.) So I got it with satellite feed slates and such, which was neato for me at the time. I eventually reused the tape---I've been working in TV since graduation, so "INSERT COMMERCIAL HERE" kind of stuff lost its novelty a long time ago. :)

They did the same thing for us for the next two years.

I remember watching it when I was a kid. I was watching it because there was no other SciFi show AT ALL available at that time. I have never been a big Trek fan by then but thought, what the heck, maybe it would be fun. I didn't think it was all that great at first because I was used to Star Wars, BSG and Buck Rogers, and I was continously comparing. The costumes looked like pajamas and there were no space battles. Hmm. However, the stories were fairly interesting so I got hooked. The appeal was increasing with every installment - till one thing happened: The Borg. When I watched "Q Who?" for the very first time I was so thrilled because this episode was so different from what I was used to see on TV. Then season 3 came and with it a vast improvement in story telling, costumes and visuals. It got more and more interesting, the characters grew on me, and then - BANG!

"The Best of both Worlds, Part 1"

happened! Gee, what an episode. An episode for the eternities. It should be pressed in GOLD. THE BEST EPISODE OF A TV SHOW E-V-E-R. It (finally) turned me to a real Star Trek fan. (Okay, I love Star Wars and live BSG, but Star Trek will always be something special, TNG in particular ;) ). Patrick Stewart's fine voice taught me English - no kidding! I always recommend people learning English to watch TNG. They speak very clear and use a sophisticated vocabulary. A text book example of educational and entertaining piece of TV history. :)

Happy Birthday, TNG! You have aged well! ENGAGE! :)

I loved TNG.

Out in the boonies where I grew up we only had one channel (ABC) up until I was about 13, so I never really got to see much of TOS. An episode here and there at a friend's house and that was pretty much it. I, of course, knew the characters and had the toys and played Trek at recess, but I never really knew much about it until the movies started coming out..

By the time I got into college and actually moved into town where there was cable, that was about the time TNG started up. I was wary at first but I was instantly hooked. It was the first show where me and my friends would all get together and get wasted and watch it and discuss it. I understand TOS is classic and I love it and still watch it, but personally as a tv show, TNG is my favorite of them all.

I remember watching it when I was a kid. I was watching it because there was no other SciFi show AT ALL available at that time.
Paramount also started their syndicated War of the Worlds series around the same time....but it only lasted two seasons, and wasn't that good.

[snip]
"The Best of both Worlds, Part 1"
[snip]
Same! That was the point when I knew I was a fan, because I absolutely had to be sat in front of the TV ready for that next episode!
I'd watched from the beginning, because both my parents had been kinda into TOS, and we wanted to see what this new show was like. I remember some half-hearted 'outrage' in the tabloids about a Frenchman replacing Kirk (the concept of a sequel clearly hadn't been explained to them). I even remember my Dad's "Aha!" outburst when Data revealed he was an android (he'd clearly noticed the odd way he acted)

Here in Germany seasons 3 & 4 were shown in a row, one episode a day, so we did not have to wait a few months between TBobW, Parts 1 & 2. But haveing to wait even just one day for the conclusion was enough for me to speculate about how things would continue. I was glued to the screen like never before. When I watched the second part I felt a bit dissatisfied because the battle at Wolf 359 was not shown - something DS9 would finally deliver. When the show went into syndication again I recorded the eps on VHS cassette and left a one minute gap after Riker got the note that the Federation fleet had engaged the Borg at Wolf 359. Then I waited for DS9's pilot "Emissary" to be shown again and inserted the battle sequence from the beginning to close the gap, making the episode a bit "more complete". Oh man, you can't imagine how I wished they would have reshot the entire thing with a grand budget and turned it into a movie! It would have been much better than "First Contact". :)

Last edited:
That show was so bad it was good, loved it and still do, in all of it's late 80"s cheesy glory!

Paramount also started their syndicated War of the Worlds series around the same time....but it only lasted two seasons, and wasn't that good.

Stewart was old back then, but he's still kicking.

It makes me feel I haven't actually grown older myself.

Too old to be the captain of a galaxy-class starship? I don't think so. How old do you think the captains of our aircraft carriers are? I'm betting they are older than 35. Maturity and experience are what actually counts most for positions like that. Besides just because a man is balding, doesn't mean he's old. I imagined Kirk was just a fluke or an oddity in the general average age of starship captains....not to mention the hollywood approach to everything back in the 60s (and high-prices toupes).

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back