Deathtrooper blaster

More excellent fun.
After getting some pictures from the European showing of the death trooper, I revised my under barrel laser sight. Here’s the new one. Again I made it in 3 pieces held together by a threaded rod. The front required the most work, getting those little rectangles. I used a watch crystal for the clear front. Pictures show a ring on the glass like a sight or area from which the laser projects. My first thought is to use a dry transfer letter ‘o” centered on the glass.. Not sure how that’ll work out. Getting the “sight” under the barrel shroud and anchoring the folding stock to it is proving to be the biggest challenge yet.
The saga continues..View attachment 719753View attachment 719754

Already liked the first "laser", but love the second ;)
The tapered section should have a groove if I remember the collage I sent you correctly (don´t have it on hand right now).

Can´t wait to see it attached to the barrel shroud!!!

Just some little details this time.
I drilled a hole and mounted a small turning on the front of the trigger housing for the wire from the laser. Haven’t figured out what wire or string to use.
Before mounting the stock adapter to the back of the receiver, I put a plug in the receiver tube so that I would have more metal for the screws to turn into than just the receiver wall. I locked the receiver plug in place with a set screw.
Drilled and threaded a hole for a small screw under the receiver front because there was one there on the air soft, though it probably doesn’t need to be there. I prefer it to be as solid as possible.
I cut the magazine to length. The air soft magazine looks like it has a button in the floorplate just like the real sterling magazine. On the real magazine you just depress that button and you can slide the floorplate off. The button on the air soft magazine is plastic and won’t depress. Pushing hard will just ruin the plastic button. Cut the magazine in two first and then you’ll be able to take out the plastic assembly and save the button… or you can just make a new one like I did and epoxy it to the floorplate DSCF0685.JPGDSCF0683.JPGDSCF0689.JPG

This is too much fun to do a parts run. Been there, done that. Thanks for asking though.
The best way to mount the flashlight is to use a rail for mounting such things as scopes, etc. But the one that is recommended for this blaster is out of stock so I made one. Attached it to the barrel shroud with screws into a backer piece machined to fit the slot but with a small lip to allow it to hold against the inside of the shroud as the screws hold the rail. I wanted it to be unobtrusive.
I’m done with major parts. Now just working on that thing on the magazine side of the receiver at the back and other details. So here’s a dry fit of most of the partsDSCF0687.JPGDSCF0686.JPGDSCF0690.JPGDSCF0691.JPG

Well, here’s the last installment of the construction phase.
The Hengstler was mounted to the receiver by an L shaped bracket. I used 2 small allen screws to attach it to the receiver. I milled a groove in the hengstler (it’s a casting, I don’t have a real one) so that one arm of the bracket would extend far enough into the casting. Then I could replace a cast screw head with a real screw that went through the resin into a hole threaded in the bracket. This way the bracket disappeared into the counter and the outward appearance of the hengstler was unchanged. I did it this way because I was unable to find a picture of a bracket or mechanism holding it.
Mounted the “ power cylinders” on the magazine by putting 2 allen head cap screws into threaded holes
In the magazine housing. Then I ground the screws off inside the magazine housing so the mag would fit.
Last was the thing at the back. I used a piece of 2 inch outside diameter tubing that had a .125 inch wall. Turned it down to about .9 inch thick wall then followed a pattern that I put on the exterior of the thinned tubing. Then cut it free. It had the same diameter curve as the exterior of the receiver so it fit really nice. JB welded it into place.
That’s it for construction of the major pieces. Now a couple little things like the wire for the laser and sling studs and it should be ready for paint.
Thanks to all who followed this thread. Hope it was helpful to those aspiring death troopers out there. DSCF0692.JPGDSCF0694.JPGDSCF0695.JPGDSCF0702.JPG

I didn't see it mentioned, but is part of the stock a real part? If it's totally machined I'm impressed. I thought the butt, rails, and the parts the rails slide through was an existing part.

The images you have are very good but I would recommend the Death Trooper CRL for more reference. They have a 501st approved E-11D blaster, which has a red (LED lit) “bow tie” gerbile along with the square on the same side...which has 2 yellow bars. However if you look at the screen used ones or photos from the movie they are clear with yellow LED’s.

The images you have are very good but I would recommend the Death Trooper CRL for more reference. They have a 501st approved E-11D blaster, which has a red (LED lit) “bow tie” gerbile along with the square on the same side...which has 2 yellow bars. However if you look at the screen used ones or photos from the movie they are clear with yellow LED’s.

Do you have any pictures of the screenused rifle, where I can see the yellow LEDs?
All pics you posted are 3D renders and not pics of a screenused blaster

Here is the E-11D reference for the Death Trooper CRL (501st approved). https://databank.501st.com/databank/File:DT_Blaster.jpg

You can see on the left side of the blaster on the square greblie in question there are two yellow squares. In the film they should light up yellow and are clear when not activated. Additionally, the rectangle next to the square should also light up (red). I believe those two and the Hengstler all operate on the same switch. The scene on the platform with Galen Erso and Dir Krennic the DT’s have them lit up, but the beach scene on Scariff they are not lit, which leads me to believe they were all activated together on one switch.

5D76934F-E987-488C-823D-EEA1F76B9FA6.jpeg

5D76934F-E987-488C-823D-EEA1F76B9FA6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some additional photos. One was taken at Comic Con, I believe and shows the left side detail. Ive spoken to a few knowledgeable guys in the Death Trooper Build Group (Facebook) and a few of the guys who wrote the CRL. These are the reference images they used to develop the E-11D blaster profile. Hope this helps.

View attachment 807042

View attachment 807040

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
So I do have all the parts from Field Marshal. They are really great. However, I was planning to MOD the square griblie to accommodate 2 yellow LED’s after finding this detail. Some of the guys in the FB group commented on this, which prompted further research. I created a template to cut out the square holes, but need to practice bending plastic first.

He (Field Marshal) does have the rectangle griblie available on his eBay store, but the square one will need some modification if you want the LED feature. I purchased some clear plastic sheets from Home Depot and bought a heat gun to add the curve and accommodate the fit into the square. I planned on posting a tutorial how to MOD the piece. I might have to buy more than one griblie from Field Marshal, because there is a high probability I will screw something up.

Last edited:
Spoke with Field Marshal last week about the greblie in question. He is modifying the existing square piece to fit the above photos with two rectangular cutouts with yellow LED’s. He posted a picture of the new greblie he is working on for the E-11D on the Death Trooper Build group via FB as well has his FB page. I would imagine they will be on his eBay store in the coming weeks / month. I would probabaly recommend joining the Build group via FB if you aren’t in it already. He posts when stuff is up for sale on his eBay site pretty often.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back