Sorcerers Stone WIP

PropReplicator2

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So for the past month or so I've been working on a sculpt for the sorcerers stone/philosophers stone as seen as Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone.. This is sculpted in air dry clay and measures approximately 7cm(tall)x4.5cm(wide)x3.5cm(thick). I've gotten to a point where I am pretty happy with the basic shape but some obvious work still needs to be done. Hopefully this will be done in the next few months so I can mold and cast a few :$

JdQcZf3.jpg

3Bi0XrZ.jpg

N3GCmcR.jpg

nO01Wqq.jpg

Here is a screenshot of one of the flatter sides.
KKWbZrN.jpg

Any help is appreciated on this one!
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Re: My sorcerers stone..

Can't say I've seen the movie enough to give an opinion. But if it approved and you do a run, I'll buy one for the Potter fan in my house;)

Original post updated with a reference pic.. not much to go off of as far as reference from the film itself... If anyone has any better shots all are welcome I'd love to get all available info if available:$

That particular red stone has no White stone on it, so can't be the one from the movie.
Here's the Noble one.

hpnbsstone_1024x1024.jpg

Even if Noble's isn't perfect, any replica NEEDS to have some regular stone on the red clear stone.

Knowing the scale of the red folding razor in that last pic, and referencing the scale above with it a) in the hand and b) in the case next to the mannequin, my eye thinks you may be a bit small, if not at least by half, close. The shape looks to be coming nicely though! Interested to see how you transition from smooth to rough stone.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

SimplyTim thanks for the input! I sized the stone with a 12 year olds hand, who's about the same size as Radcliff was in the film. Looks to be about right in his hand, but then again not everyone's hands are the same. The stone stands about 3" tall total. Of course, this is just the V1 which can always be beat by a V2 ;).
red4 this clay is reasonably easy to sand, yes. I've used it to sculpt masks before and it's worked fine in that sense. In fact I'm using it to sculpt a Joker "Bozo" mask right now. It holds up well in molds as well but if you get it wet it will get all slimy and begin to disintegrate :( so watch out for that! I get it from Walmart in little 2.2lb/1kg blocks. The product is made by Model Air.

Last edited by a moderator:

@SimplyTim thanks for the input! I sized the stone with a 12 year olds hand, who's about the same size as Radcliff was in the film. Looks to be about right in his hand, but then again not everyone's hands are the same. The stone stands about 3" tall total. Of course, this is just the V1 which can always be beat by a V2 ;).
@red4 this clay is reasonably easy to sand, yes. I've used it to sculpt masks before and it's worked fine in that sense. In fact I'm using it to sculpt a Joker "Bozo" mask right now. It holds up well in molds as well but if you get it wet it will get all slimy and begin to disintegrate :( so watch out for that! I get it from Walmart in little 2.2lb/1kg blocks. The product is made by Model Air.
Haha wow, good thinking! Man, it never occurred to me that it was a kids hand, as was the statue it was displayed next to...

Last edited by a moderator:

Haha wow, good thinking! Man, it never occurred to me that it was a kids hand, as was the statue it was displayed next to...

Haha. Understandable. This is the problem I ran into when I started the project. I kept trying to scale it to my own hand and had a "doh!" moment haha. I figured scaling it to the 12 year olds hand was about as close to reference as I could get :$

Kinda OT - but, PropReplicator2 - did your dad Wayne ever do a run of these? Attached are pics I bought from a run here on the RPF in 2002 or so, and I'm virtually certain Wayne did the run and sent it to me. (But, as I am closing in on 50 years old, I'm also vaguely remembering the name SinkTubeJedi from around that time as well, so I may be misremembering who was responsible for this) Disregard the wand in the photos- it was just something I threw together quickly at the time to display with the stone.

Beat,
Mike
potterstone.jpgpotterwandstone.jpg

Kinda OT - but, PropReplicator2 - did your dad Wayne ever do a run of these? Attached are pics I bought from a run here on the RPF in 2002 or so, and I'm virtually certain Wayne did the run and sent it to me. (But, as I am closing in on 50 years old, I'm also vaguely remembering the name SinkTubeJedi from around that time as well, so I may be misremembering who was responsible for this) Disregard the wand in the photos- it was just something I threw together quickly at the time to display with the stone.

Beat,
Mike
View attachment 798123View attachment 798124
Yeh actually! Surprised you remember that! I have the first and last casts he made from that run sitting on my desk as we speak... I helped cast each one that came out of that mold. Looks great!

Wow, very cool! Skipped Noble's offering and always hoped someone on the RPF would make a nice replica of it. Really smart about sizing it to a child's hand, I don't know it that would have occurred to me!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back