Star Wars Fan Film Storyline

Hello, Dan

If I may ask what program did you use to create the Animations? Hitfilm? Final Cut Pro X? Im going to attempt snimations like that using Hitfilm and Sci-Fi 3D.

Hello, Dan

If I may ask what program did you use to create the Animations? Hitfilm? Final Cut Pro X? Im going to attempt snimations like that using Hitfilm and Sci-Fi 3D.

In these examples: modo, After Effects, Audition, and Premiere Pro. But, of course, anything that works for you is what you should use, and if budget is a limitation there are plenty of free or very cheap applications that are also very capable. It just takes time and some work to become proficient in using them to achieve the effects you are looking for...

Dan

Black Hawk Down + Star Wars. In this case the US troops would be the Empire, and the Somalian militia could be rebels or aliens. Hooah.
Predator + Star Wars. Pretty straightforward, our favorite alien takes on a squad of troopers. I ain't got time to bleed.
Die Hard + Star Wars. Imperials occupy whatever (building, ship, whatever), a lone rebel takes them down one at a time. Nine million Imperials in the galaxy and I gotta kill one with feet smaller than my sister.

I could do this all day.

Hello,

Ok thank you Dan, for me I have all the time in the world to start and finish my fan film. Ive seen tutorials using Hitfilm express, and the animations come out really nice. My goal is to start filming by this summer.

Edit:

While I work on the script I have the theme song "Glory to the Empire" playing over and over. Since that will be apart of the soundtrack for my film in the parade, It helps me get in my Patriotic mood.

you could use a miniature set for the wide shots of the street, filming people against the green screen and inserting them onto the miniature set. could look really good especially if your model skills are better than your GCI skills. if you can actually make some large-ish sets, foam is your friend

you could use a miniature set for the wide shots of the street, filming people against the green screen and inserting them onto the miniature set. could look really good especially if your model skills are better than your GCI skills. if you can actually make some large-ish sets, foam is your friend

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback I was thinking last night in the long run I might make a miniature set considering Ive made many dioramas before. For the parade if anyone could point me out to an "Imperial Assault Combat Tank" 3D model I could use, it would be great. Now I'm just trying to figure out if I want to give the insurgents a short backstory, or just go full Rogue One style where they attack the parade.

Hello,

Im writing two scripts now one about Empire Day and a new one about an Imperial installation or Rebel base on a beach planet.

Okay, I'm going to be a total dick for a moment. I've worked on a lot of movies and I can tell you the biggest mistake one can make is trying to do something beyond their scope/range/budget. When you say you don't have a lot of money and you want to shoot it at home, then you say you want to do a parade scene that is literally one of biggest things one could produce for a sequence, it makes me nervous.

if you're a miniature, green screen, and compositing whiz, or you really like the idea of learning to do that stuff and like a challenge, by all means you should do it. I think you should decide what you want feel when you have a finished product. Do you want something for yourself and friends to enjoy, something that shows the work you put in even if it isn't perfect? Or do you want something that could go viral and get you attention? Something in between?

i think you decide that first, then from there develop and idea that plays to that, and most importantly, can be done with what you have available. Again, ignore me if you want this to be your version of film school as you try things you've never done before. That's fully legit. But so is doing something smaller in scope if you worry your production assets are thin.

Theres a ton of single-room shorts and stories out there. Me, personally, I'd build one great set I know I could make work and not try to create a battle from thin air. A one room short can still be full of tension-- a rebel and an imperial are trapped in an escape Pod together, a Jedi is trapped in a cell and has to escape, two rebels have vital information to deliver but their ship is dead in space and life support is failing, smugglers hide with their cargo waiting for an imperial inspection team to pass, etc.

Want to expand the scope from there? Go outside and find a place in your area without people or structures-- forest, desert, rocky hills, whatever is by you-- now you have a sparsely populated planet.

Doesnone of your parents or friends or somebody work someplace like a factory, warehouse, sterile office, hospital? Any of those places could work if you can steal a couple shots to set up some scope-- long halls always feel like they are part of something.

I'd take stock of what you have available and what sort of product you want at the end and go from there.

Or, again, ignore me and have fun. I over think these things.

...I over think these things.

No, you're just practical. You gave some solid advice but I would add one addendum to them: some of these things this guy's writing, leave them as written work.

If you're gonna work to make an actual production out of one of them, he should consider what assets are available to him and adapt accordingly as you suggest. If it's wanting to be grand in scale, go ahead and write it out but also recognize that if there aren't practical means to accomplish it, then keep it just for self gratification (unless someday by whatever chance you do have the means to make it happen).

Hello, Dan

I use Lightwave for all my 3d work but it's not cheap. Blender is free but I don't have any experience with it. I'm a writer but I don't share my plots however, I would be glad to read your script if you need a beta reader. I would also agree about not setting your story in the woods, you can download 3d models of buildings or use green screen to set it in a city, also, you can set it indoors and film inside a warehouse if you can get one. Here is where I get a lot of my models, http://www.foundation3d.com/ but you need to register. Best of luck.

Last edited:
I use Lightwave for all my 3d work but it's not cheap. Blender is free but I don't have any experience with it. I'm a writer but I don't share my plots however, I would be glad to read your script if you need a beta reader. I would also agree about not setting your story in the woods, you can download 3d models of buildings or use green screen to set it in a city, also, you can set it indoors and film inside a warehouse if you can get one. Here is where I get a lot of my models, http://www.foundation3d.com/ but you need to register. Best of luck.

Hello, Many Thanks ill check it out. Ive been looking at a 3d model of Mos Eisley Spaceport on Sci-Fi 3D.com, and it looks pretty good. The problem with warehouses and such is that I live in New York City, so renting one can get really expensive.

All I know is, I don't ever need to see another fan film that's set in the prequel era starring Jedi or three (usually a guy with long hair or a skinny hot girl) with their buddies from kung-fu class swinging TCSS sabers around with a plot that is basically Jedi in hiding (or secretly trained new Jedi) facing off against a Sith (usually some ass with Juggalo/Maul make-up or a poorly modded Boba Fett helmet) that's hunting them down for the empire, accompanied by some terrible CGI.

I can't agree with you more!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A band of space scavengers are plundering the floating wreckage of the first Death Star following the battle of Yavin and find a large chunk which contains a Stormtrooper battle-injury trauma centre. There are many Bacta tanks inside and one of them contains a survivor in stasis. He is rescued and despite some very severe injuries begins to recover. He says his name is Snoke...

Thankyou mr Abrams I will take me ep.9 writers fee now please...

So here's my idea....

A young Jedi Padawan strikes down his or her master when in a rage they draw upon the Dark Side during a training session. They either kill or believe they've killed their master. But rather then face judgement for their actions, they run away. They vow to never use their lightsaber or the Force again.

They find themselves on a agriculture world. Dotted with small farming settlements. But they find out that harsh ruler of the world lIves in a grandiose palace and once a month he sends his men to gather one slave from each of the settlements. The former Jedi becomes stuck in an moral quandary. They realize that they could help these people secure their freedom. But do so would break their solemn vow. And what will happen when they embrace the Force again? They came so close to the Dark Side before. Will they fall this time? What do they do?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back