Syd Mead's concept Blade Runner blaster

More to your taste Mike? Looks a bit classier than gold, just need to learn how to nickel plate plastic.
15.JPG

Display wise, I'm debating a presentation case or a display with Joel's concept pistol and a proper PKD.
pic-2010-01-18-pistol-box-medium.jpg

Wow, that gold one is really boss. If someone made a case like that for the normal PKD, I would absolutely buy it.

P.S. Is the trigger missing on the concept?

Almost there now, just need to add the knurling to the grip. The sight is made as a separate piece in case someone wants to make a clear one that can light up.

Untitled-1.jpg

Also need to make the power cell which will fit into the opening at the back. Thinking of making it so you can put an actual battery in it and use it to power electronics within the gun. A question to guys who would fit electronics, what voltage battery would you use to power any lights/sounds that you'd cram into this?

Edit: Super hi-tech rotating gif.
bgxj5.gif

Last edited:
Im IN and IN for a run. It would be a very nice complement if you could model the blaster cartrige.

Already ahead of you ;) Planning to put a pair of magnets in the circular indentations so they'll stay in place when you put the cartridge in the gun. Now to work out how to make it work as an actual battery to power the electronics.
battery2.jpg

Edit: Should be able to squeeze a CR123 battery holder in it, and use the magnets as connectors to hook the battery up to the circuitry in the blaster body.

Last edited:
I have a copy of OBLAGON.
If you need any close ups of the gun I can try to scan it or just take close up photos.

How do you plan to handle the old school radio slider on the center bottom?

Look closely the handle has a flat or inset area on the front.

If you could, I'd love a scan of the gun.

Old school radio slider? Might ignore the cut out at the bottom of the handle, been playing around with knurling on the grip and am worried that it'll look too busy if i add anything else.
18.JPG

For the battery pack, would it be good to use a push magnet? Like those on a cabinet, so we could push it in to lock and then eject it in the same manner?

Like this:
500-703-thickbox.jpg

I think I'm officially calling the model done. I know not everything from the concept picture isn't on the model, but I think I've captured the essence of the gun. Made an interest thread over in the Project Runs thread with details on buying a kit.
compare.jpg

edit: The hole in the top of the bolt on the hinge shouldn't be there. I was using it to line the parts up in SolidWorks :p

Last edited:
count me in on this run!

Filled the first run but I'll add you to the reserve/ second run list :)

Onto an update. Got easily enough interest to do a run of these so am converting the solid model into kit form. Started on the main body, added a hollow below the vents big enough to house electronics and lights. The wall thickness blocking the vents is a millimeter so should be easy to drill/file out if you want to add lights. Added some indents in the battery cylinder to glue in the magnets that'll keep the battery in place, and a smaller hole behind it so you can solder to magnets and use them to hook the actual CR123 housed in the battery to the electronics. Finally, the holes and extrusions on the side should make it easy to line up and glue the two halves of the body together.
right body.jpgleft body.jpg

If anyone has any idea/requests for this piece, just ask ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back