Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I think Affleck will be fine in the role. It doesn't matter who they chose though, we'd all still be having the same type of conversation. In going by the supposed shortlist, if it was Brolin, people would say he sucked as Jonah Hex while overlooking No Country for Old Men. If it was Gosling, people would say he's too much of a pretty boy, while ignoring Drive. Manganiello? "He can't act!"

However, some of the bashing is going a little overboard. Claiming you wanted someone a "little less gay" in the role? What kind of silly comment is that?

The kind of silly comment that is unfortunately EXTREMELY common on teh intarwebz0rz.

Here's the thing. Your actors matter, but only so far. You need people who look the part, and people who can play it convincingly....but bear in mind they're playing something specific that's been provided TO them. They're speaking words that someone else has written, and doing so in a way that someone else has told them to do (namely, the director). So much of a good performance depends on the underlying material the actor works with. Don't believe me? Let me tell you about an actor named Dominic West.

West played Jimmy McNulty on The Wire. This role is a dream job for an actor. The character is charismatic, neurotic, self-destructive, charming, funny, a total screw-up at times, and deeply passionate about his job. West played him AMAZINGLY. But compare that performance to the one he played in Punisher: War Zone as Jigsaw, or the one he did in Jon Carter as Sab Than. I doubt anyone would say that West is a particularly good actor if those were the only roles you ever saw him in.

Material MATTERS. It matters in a BIG way.

So, yeah, I think Affleck will neither make nor break this film. What will matter FAR more is the writer, the director, and how meddlesome the studio is (both in good and bad ways).

So the fight is going to be over the Red Sox being the greatest sports team evah? Superman's going to punch Batman and Bats'll say he got hit "wicked hahd?"

To me this screams nothing more than they wanted a 'name' and not the best person for the job.

So much for the older/wiser batman aspect as guess. I don't know their actual respective ages, but they seem pretty close in age to me (appearance wise).

Gordon and Batman? I'd love for Cranston to be Gordon.
argo-affleck-bryan-cranston-interview-ben.jpg

Just read that Affleck's going to play the Bat. Gutting! Had been looking forward to this but seriously do not rate him. I just don't think I'll want to watch this if its not Bale. Similar in way I feel they messed up withthe latest Spiderman film - though Toby Maguire was brilliant in the Sam Raimi films far better than the new 'Hollywood - pretty boy'.

FWIW: Affleck's 41 and Henry Cavill is 30

Which is a much greater age difference than Batman and Superman are usually given. Doesn't mean much, depending on how they portray Bats and given Ben can pass for younger than he is.

I can get behind Cranston for Gordon, assuming Jim's in the film. He did great in Batman: Year One as Gordon.

To me this screams nothing more than they wanted a 'name' and not the best person for the job.

So much for the older/wiser batman aspect as guess. I don't know their actual respective ages, but they seem pretty close in age to me (appearance wise).
Affleck is 41, Cavill is 30.

Affleck is an Oscar winner, a name and the best person for the job (IMO). Ben Affleck Is Batman, and Here?s Why That?s Perfect Casting - Screen Crush thinks so, too.

Superman Returns - Poor
Man Of Steel - Great
Man of Steel 2 - with that casting one step forward, dare I say it two steps back!

None of which necessarily makes him right for the part.

Hopefully I'm wrong, I just don't seen Affleck as the kind of guy who forsakes a normal life to become a vigilante. Well, I can see him as a Silver Age Batman, but not a modern day dark and gritty Batman. The live action Batman bar isn't that high though, so he should be fine.

It's the first thing that's made sense in the mess of a DC movies... well, Zach Snyder seemed to make sense to me at first - but, I think his Man of Steel failed terribly (and I know I'm in the minority with that thought).

I've gone full circle on Superman vs. Batman/MoS 2. I think Ben Affleck is underrated (despite the recent accolades) and will make a great Batman/Bruce Wayne. Heck, he should play the shark in Jaws 5.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back