MPC Falcon builders of the galaxy unite!

This looks fantastic! One question - was the radar dish slightly oversized on this particular version? Maybe it's just the perspective (or just me!).

Many thanks! No you are correct! The dish is oversized. I didn't get around to fixing that. Now with my PG Falcon, I doubt I will.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh yes! at home I can see the pics, fantastic! I thought mine looked good :lol

Many thanks indeed!! Much appreciated.

My mpc, heavily modified, still my favorite.

Attachments

• HSUijX8.jpg
    HSUijX8.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
My mpc, heavily modified, still my favorite.

https://i.imgur.com/HSUijX8.jpg

SUCH superb paintwork on yours!

Really nice to see so many modellers using my upgrade kits, I absolutely love seeing the resin come to life in the hands of you guys.
Here's the last MPC Falcon I did, for the box art of my upgrade kit actually.
Jan 2017, MPC kit and HH resin only, I wanted to see how good I could get a kit looking without labouring on the engine deck or photo etch. Sold it soon after to a client in Germany.

31967405221_b68e46aec6_c.jpg

31686720870_78ef4115f6_c.jpg

I'm working on a more extensively modified one at the moment: I plan to give it LEDs, photo etch, decals and improved components. Keep your eyes peeled for a thread on that one soon!

Wow so many great MPCs!

I have been comparing it more with the Bandai kit and it actually is pretty amazing what they did with it. Soft detail aside, they got a lot more right than they are given credit for, especially for a 1970s model kit

What are you guys doing...taking a break?:confused:lol
Sorry, I got sidetracked by an Ep.8 A-wing last week which I am planning to give the “McQuarrie / Arrowhead” paint scheme from the ROTJ concept painting.
Looking at all the great stuff you guys are posting, I can’t wait to get back to the Falcon. Truly amazing stuff.

I've got a MPC and the Haystack Hair Mark 1 upgrade kit. I've been trying to figure out a way to identify good/inexpensive kits for greebles for kit bashing the rear deck and the maintenance pits. I know that there are many parts you can get on shapeways, but that gets pretty expensive quickly. Does anyone know of good kits for these areas?

I've got a MPC and the Haystack Hair Mark 1 upgrade kit. I've been trying to figure out a way to identify good/inexpensive kits for greebles for kit bashing the rear deck and the maintenance pits. I know that there are many parts you can get on shapeways, but that gets pretty expensive quickly. Does anyone know of good kits for these areas?

Here are some I've found useful in my scratch built Falcon!
I've only listed ones that I though were real goldmines for parts, so they're very good value for money.

Sd.Kfz. 7 & 8.8cm Flak 37 (Revell, code No.03210)
USS Quincy (Trumpeter, code No.05748)
Matilda II (Airfix, code No.A01318)
Panzerkamfw V. Panther Ausf D (Zvezda code No.5010)
Fuchs A1 Eloka/ABC (Revell code No.03139)

There are a myriad other kits I could recommend but these are great starting points filled with interesting pieces

Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again, and probably not for the last time...3 CHEERS! for our friend and benefactor Mr. Haystack Hair :cheers:cheers:cheers He's done for MPC Falcon fans an incredible service and I for one am most grateful and impressed, and I was there to see it happen! :thumbsup Thanks Haystack! :thumbsup

is this thread dying out or what? I was hoping to pick up some new tricks for MPC's. I was thinking of doing another MPC as a run up to the Bandai so I can hone my paint and weathering skills a bit sharper.

I hope not.

I myself have slowed down a bit on model building as I typically am doing more outdoors stuff in the spring/summer with what free time I have.

Anytime I spend on modeling is usually on painting all those kits I had built over the winter, but couldn't paint then due to the weather (I have to airbrush outside)

I've got a 1/48 Eagle, several 1/1000 Yamato kits, all the various Bandai 1/72 Tie Fighters and the 1/144 U-Wing all waiting to be painted

I probably won't be getting around to the MPC Falcon until the fall

Well I can understand that, I really need to slow down the building at least to make time to get my butt to the gym. As far as the weather, it's a different deal here. Too hot to be outside unless it's pool time. have to do outside chores as the sun comes up before the heat of the day sets in. So summer is actually the build season for me. I got so much in the pipeline now, I'll be into 2020 before everything is done :wacko
I hope not.

I myself have slowed down a bit on model building as I typically am doing more outdoors stuff in the spring/summer with what free time I have.

Anytime I spend on modeling is usually on painting all those kits I had built over the winter, but couldn't paint then due to the weather (I have to airbrush outside)

I've got a 1/48 Eagle, several 1/1000 Yamato kits, all the various Bandai 1/72 Tie Fighters and the 1/144 U-Wing all waiting to be painted

I probably won't be getting around to the MPC Falcon until the fall

I've got a pretty long queue as well. Not nearly as much as some people, but I would say I have about 88 kits to finish (assuming I don't pick up any more kits which we know is not going to happen)

39 of those 88 have been started to some degree, probably a dozen of them being ready for paint, or just missing some details parts to be added or finishing touches

Good God man! I thought I was going to have trouble finding a place for everything I'm building :eek I've still got a 1/72 Disney Nautilus 31" with de-luxe everything, to do...some day. I built one and sold it and got another one for me. Now that I'm on the SW kick, I have no clue where I'd even put it...new wall shelf with plexi-glass cover I'm thinking. Not to mention the 25" USS Arizona, a FM Falcon, and 8 or 10 more MPC Falcons :wacko. OMG
I've got a pretty long queue as well. Not nearly as much as some people, but I would say I have about 88 kits to finish (assuming I don't pick up any more kits which we know is not going to happen)

39 of those 88 have been started to some degree, probably a dozen of them being ready for paint, or just missing some details parts to be added or finishing touches

And then...I got a Deago Falcon to do yet so I don't know where the ISD is gonna go cause that's where "big bird" is gonna land. I need a bigger house :confused

Hi my name is. Jesse and I just got a MPC falcon original issue like the first one to come out. Got it for 30$ and it has grain of wheat bulbs to light it. So I will be building mine as it was from a new hope. My self I’ll be using everything from 308 bits. Then I guess if it’s still not detailed enough then I’ll get some 1/72 scale tank kits and use parts from them. And I’ll be using archive x paint and yes it will be lit

If your going to light it, I'd ditch the grain of wheat bulbs and go with LED's. The bulbs that came with the kit won't last and you'll either
have to live with a burnt out bulb or crack the model open to replace it.

Good luck with your build.

if I might, I'd recommend the HH Miniatures side wall set. Not that there is anything wrong with Tony's 308 stuff, I love the stuff and the man...he's awesome. but I think with the sidewalls part of it, you get more for what you spend. now for boarding ramp stuff, the hull interlocks, the cockpit goodies, corridor parts, gun turret wells, upgrade landing gear, and engine fan panel greeblies, 308 is the MUST HAVE stuff. I guess it just depends on how far you're going with it. I've still got like 7 or 8 MPC's in the closet only because I found them cheap on Ebay and it was like eating peanuts...once I started buying them I couldn't stop. I've bought just about everything out there for the MPC, including a Blue Moon set which I'll likely never use on anything. however I'm just expressing an observation from having done it all on half a dozen MPC builds.
Hi my name is. Jesse and I just got a MPC falcon original issue like the first one to come out. Got it for 30$ and it has grain of wheat bulbs to light it. So I will be building mine as it was from a new hope. My self I’ll be using everything from 308 bits. Then I guess if it’s still not detailed enough then I’ll get some 1/72 scale tank kits and use parts from them. And I’ll be using archive x paint and yes it will be lit

Also, and I agree completely with Cappy, LED is the way to go. And if you're not up to speed on doing an LED set, not to worry, it ain't that hard and you'll be able to light just about anything and everything you want on it. if you want to get crazy with it, look into some fiber optics as well. At that scale, you can do incredible things to the cockpit, gun turret wells, the red low clearance lights, the list goes on and on. Also with LED's you can get them pre-wired (with the proper resistors) all different colors AND ones that flash. The last one I did was a mix of HH and 308 and I lit everything I could think of...oh, AND the landing lights in the lower hull panel, very important. Go crazy with it brother, you'll amaze yourself :thumbsup

View attachment falcon 5 vid.MOVf5-5.JPGf5-6.JPGf5-7.JPGthis is what I did with my last MPC. I also forgot to mention, for sure 308 Bits cockpit "cone" and if you nutty with the lights, don't forget the landing gear wells, one LED each will work...but two is better.
Ok, I think I'm done rambling...I'll shut up now :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back