"The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Space Adventure on Fox

I thought last nights episode was the best so far.

I laughed out loud 3 or 4 times...a first for ANY show MacFarlane has done.

The AVIS & Hertz mentions were all funny as hell.

Someone here had much earlier mentioned a hint of Buck Rogers (1978) feel to it.
This episode had loads of that. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Fox, this show is a KEEPER don't do anything stupid please.

According to a video I watched earlier today The Orville is Fox's number 2 show, right behind Empire. So, there's a good chance that this show isn't going anywhere, at least not for a bit at any rate.

Yeah this episode was great-- easily as good as an average episode of TNG. The jokes were a little more grounded too so it helped. If the humor is more like this-- where the characters themselves have a sense of humor instead of the jokes being out-of-universe for our benefit it could actually work.

I have a question that's been bugging me for a while. When the technician in the first episode is revealed to be working with the Krill, and his named is mentioned as Derek, Ed says, "Of course it's a Derek." What exactly does that mean? Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was surprised when my 79 year old Mom told me she watched this show and liked it. Wonders never cease..... I never thought my Mom would ever watch much less like a sci fi show that I liked.

I made my mom watch it with me when I visited her last weekend. She's a big Next Gen and Voyager fan.
I warned her about the juvenile humor, and was prepared to shut it off halfway through, but she liked it.
I kept looking over at her periodically and she always had at least a half-smile on her face.
When it was over she said she liked it. On one hand I was surprised, on the other, well...
It is kind of out-trekking Trek...

Good episode, but...

sNofo8j.jpg

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

"...go ahead and"
Everyone always forgets the go ahead and! :)

- - - Updated - - -

Liked this one, although jokey guy got on my nerves. SHUT. UP.

Thumbs up on every episode so far.

Re: "The Orville". A Seth McFarlane Star Trek Parody on Fox

"...go ahead and"
Everyone always forgets the go ahead and! :)...
Yeah, sorry about that. I've only seen Office Space twice and I remember that character's "unique" way of informing his underlings that they would be required to do something out of the ordinary for the company, but I clearly hadn't committed all of his little catchphrases to memory.

LOL, no biggie!

More on the episode:

(I still have not memorized character names)

Annoying guy mentions Christmas amongst the aliens and it just whizzes by everyone?

Could they not have looked into sabotaging the bomb so that it would explode shortly after launch? Or launch it prematurely themselves?

Pretty small turnout for the religious service. Of course, one can do only so many alien makeups.

A better "callback" type of line for the end would be for the captain, answering "why did you save the children", to say "because I have a soul."

Seth is an Atheist of the "Believers are Morons" Caliber, he's not going to deliver a line like that. Otherwise, I'm enjoying this thoroughly.

Then why did he allow the entire basis for the Krill's attitude toward humans to be that they are soulless? It's not a line I personally would suggest under different circumstances, but it's what the episode was friggin' ABOUT.

Then why did he allow the entire basis for the Krill's attitude toward humans to be that they are soulless? It's not a line I personally would suggest under different circumstances, but it's what the episode was friggin' ABOUT.

I found it to to actually be a shot at organized religion in general. So many of them preach that their deity is the only true deity and anyone that doesn't believe in their deity will spend eternity in damnation. The Krill feel that since humans don't believe in their religion then humans are "wrong" and therefore don't have souls, which is extremely similar to many religions we have had in our own human history.

It it was even mentioned earlier in the episode that as societies have become more technologically advanced they have tended to leave religion behind, yet the Krill have adhered to it more tightly...which implies that the humans in this universe are most likely not overly religious, which again makes the "Because I have a soul" line you are suggesting make no sense in the context of the universe they are building.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter if the person saying it believes in souls; SHE does, and using her own beliefs to zing it to her is the perfect thing to say.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back