Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

But here the core is nice and clean, and the color richly defined. In the cap above, the core looks like a crappily done practical effect and the color is nearly nonexistent.

Fair point but that screen grab is coming from a heavily compressed twitter clip. Plus, Rey is in bright sunlight. That might tend to subdue the color saturation a little. I'm only suggesting it'll probably look better than this in the final film.

Hey CT1138 and @Dem Bones and ssdesigner ! I'm with ya!

LIGHTSABER - OBI-WAN VS VADER - BLINK OUT GHOSTSABER - Ridire Firean - 01.png

I'd love to say that "I WON'T BUY ANOTHER RELEASE IF..." ,but I know I probably would, however, my "ifs" would be:

1. Fix the blinking out of Obi-Wan's Lightsaber.
2. Make all the lightsabers skinny and pointy in the Prequels and Sequels.
3. Han SHOOTS FIRST.
4. Sebastian Shaw is the Force Ghost of Anakin Skywalker.
5. The Wolfman is allowed back in the Cantina on Mos Eisley.
6. The Sarlacc Pit is changed so that it doesn't look like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.
7.... You get the idea...

I'm really bumbed that the Skywalker GRAFLEX no longer has its traditional blade shape.

HEY LUCASFILM / DISNEY ! I HAVE AN IDEA THAT CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS! Pony up some money and let's get to work on fixing it!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking about taking Johnson's advice to just wait for the movie to come out and skip the new trailer. You know the old saying, abstinence makes the heart grow fonder. Or is that absinthe?

Hey @CT1138 and @Dem Bones and @ssdesigner ! I'm with ya!

View attachment 764806

I'd love to say that "I WON'T BUY ANOTHER RELEASE IF..." ,but I know I probably would, however, my "ifs" would be:

3. Han SHOOTS FIRST.
6. The Sarlacc Pit is changed so that it doesn't look like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.

I'm really bumbed that the Skywalker GRAFLEX no longer has its traditional blade shape.

HEY LUCASFILM / DISNEY ! I HAVE AN IDEA THAT CAN HELP YOU WITH THIS! Pony up some money and let's get to work on fixing it!!! ;)

YES!!!!

But look at all the colors in those two caps. That's due to the color grading Rian and George used. All colors in TLJ are flatter than in tje Prequels
This is unfortunately true. Personally, I dislike when color grading is decreased only slightly. Like in the Snyder Superman movie and BvS. Everybody looks like a freakin corpse.

Fair point but that screen grab is coming from a heavily compressed twitter clip. Plus, Rey is in bright sunlight. That might tend to subdue the color saturation a little. I'm only suggesting it'll probably look better than this in the final film.
True enough it's a compressed, but even then "broad daylight" isn't an excuse when it comes to Star Wars.
oDJZSDe.jpg

Sure, they had to change the color because it wasn't showing, like here. but that was back in the 80s. They fixed that problem:
rl6poTd.jpg

While I do think that while compression and color grading are adding to it, I still think that the lightsaber effects in this teaser are atrocious. This shot may be bad, but then most of them are:
V9voHMJ.jpg

I've seen worse compression and color grading than this on videos... where the Hell did the lightsaber blade go?

Even if production is completely finished, it' doesn't mean what we see in the trailers will actually appear in the movie. I'm betting they're fine tuning this until the day before it ships to theaters.

As for worse on-screen lightsaber effect, I'd have to disagree ;)

View attachment 764805
Now this I can at least forgive. It was the 70s, and an effect like that had never been done before. When the effect is proven and has been so for decades, I get a bit more upset. But for all the effect's clumsiness, at least it looks finished.

View attachment 764826

I've seen worse compression and color grading than this on videos... where the Hell did the lightsaber blade go?

Hey CT1138 ! It's there, if your monitor is anything like mine, you can look up at the screen from the very bottom and see the lightsaber pointing off behind her / to our right as we look at it, towards the top of the island off in the distance out on the water's horizon.

Hey @CT1138 ! It's there, if your monitor is anything like mine, you can look up at the screen from the very bottom and see the lightsaber pointing off behind her / to our right as we look at it, towards the top of the island off in the distance out on the water's horizon.
I can see a hint of blue near her wrist, but even with the bottom of the screen trick I can't really make out the lightsaber blade.

Ok so after begging the top manager, he let me know that he says tickets won’t go on sale until 8:30 est time... he started a line and i’m #1 fingers crossed

I thought tickets were going on sale at 6:30....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey @CT1138 and @Dem Bones and @ssdesigner ! I'm with ya!

View attachment 764806

3. Han SHOOTS FIRST.
6. The Sarlacc Pit is changed so that it doesn't look like the plant from Little Shop of Horrors.[/n]

I'm ok with most of these except the ones I bolded. The sarlacc isn't menacing at all when it's just a hole in the desert with teeth and the pencil sabers they use on Rebels, as you're suggesting, looks effing ridiculous. Lightsabers never looked like that, not even on the OOT. And you can't just thin out the ST lightsabers in a SE cuz of the light up blades.

Hey halliwax ! You're going to be cutting it pretty close if you want to make it home by half time to see the new trailer. I hope they get you your tickets quick enough that you can escape the swarm around your theater and make it safely home through traffic! If you get stuck there, remember to save your battery power now and turn it on later to catch the game on ESPN-GO. Hopefully they'll play the trailer there to if you need to see it that way! Or if the theater has a bar and a T.V. see if they'll put the game on for you guys!!!

Good Luck tonight!

the pencil sabers they use on Rebels, as you're suggesting, looks effing ridiculous.

Hey seelsa73 ! I don't know how they look in Rebels, and I'm suggesting that lightsabers look the way they did in the Original Trilogy (shapewise). They could definitely change the shape of the blades in the ST with a simple filter mask if they wanted to. I'm not saying it would be easy, but it could be done.

I was a afraid of that hole in the desert with teeth when I was a little kid. Even the worms in Dune looked more menacing than the Sarlacc did in the Special Edition. The CG just looked lame. "Feed me Jabba, FEED ME!" Is all ever hear when I see the SE Sarlacc. :lol All I'm saying is they could have made it a little bit more than just a brown CG sock-puppet.

The pointy sabers came from episode 3. But other than that... yeah, they need to ALWAYS be round.

Hey @OldKen ! EN GARDE!

https://media.giphy.com/media/UIeLsVh8P64G4/giphy.gif
LIGHTSABER - General Grievous - 01.jpg

Wait, relax, you might just be confused. Or at the very least, you're confusing me! :lol

Are you talking about the tip needing to be round? And that the tips were pointy in Episode 3? Like this green one in Grievous' lower right hand?...
LIGHTSABER - General Grievous - 02.png

I'm talking about the lightsabers being pointy from an overall standpoint. Meaning that they taper from the emitter down the point, where the taper begins after the blade exits the end of the emitter (say 3/4" thick) down to the very tip where it's maybe 1/2" thick at the very end.

Or are you saying they need to be round in a sense that there is no taper? Just curious, because I'd call the lightsabers in Episode 3 round all the way down, meaning straight-sided, with a bullet pointed tip at the end. ;) Which to me, is the way they look in TFA and what they appear to be looking like in TLJ, and I just don't like the straight-sided, super thick blade look.

Last edited:
Hey halliwax ! They would have given you a chair if you'd worn your belt and lightsaber! :lol

"You will give me a chair." (Waves hand.) "A manager's chair with a high back that rocks." (Waves hand.)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back