Judge Dredd ABC warrior references

here's couple of groin pics. The plan is make a 20mm ply frame and fabricate some PVC dressing for the frame and the 'hip' pipe. This will change the overall look of this part but it should be covered in pipes and stuff anyway and it will be strong enough to support the torso but also allow the robot to stand up and sit down and the ply frame not attached to the hip pipe. Make sense? Hope it works.

I've got the groin slightly too high I have to lower it a bit otherwise I think it looks pretty close.

Next step is to try and attach the legs to the hips and then I reckon I might have made some progress!

20170926_133308.jpg20170926_133328.jpg20170926_133344.jpg

how tall is he gonna be standing?? :confused

about 2.4 - 2.5 meters I think. So what's that like 8'? the legs and feet make up the bulk of the height much like the human figure I guess. So I'm making it so it can sit down and stand up which will handy for storage :)

My process is to regularly check the height of things against the 1/9th scale model and I think I'm still fairly close (ish)

bro... as a sci-fi robot loving guy myself.... I have no IDEA :lol but damn, you pull this off and you have a pearl in your hand. you lost me with the metric system tho... ;)

ha ha yeah it's all over the place with those centi-milli things.

I'm at a stage of obsession now that I can't stop really I'm kind of curious to know what it'll be like on the other side of this build :)

if you lived ALOT closer I would be bye your side pitching in what I could on this journey with you bud. alas, I HAVE NO choice but enjoy your endeavor from afar... and im friggin excited to see your end game!! :cool

Hey all small update. I've been mucking around with PVC pipe for the thighs and after a bit of heat bending have a basic armature sorted out. It will allow the robot to stand up and sit down. I might look at changing the thigh armature to aluminium (you were right Blax :)) as the PVC might be a bit soft and those thigh pipes have to hold up the weight of most of the robot. But I'll fix everything together before I make up my mind.

I've tested fitted the one thigh piece I have to get a feel for how it will look. Overall it's looking about right. There's not a hell of a lot of room in the thigh area for pipes and hoses which is fine by me :)

ha ha it was quite funny sticking together the damned legs and hip pipe kept moving around all over the place so nothing's terribly square in the pics. Mind you I'll be making sure the robot isn't too straight when I do the final fixing I want to avoid it looking too wooden

20171006_163709.jpg20171006_163715.jpg20171006_163941.jpg20171006_171145.jpg20171006_171206.jpg

Hey Oot, keep an eye out for some 90mm 'D' grade PVC pipe. It's a much thicker wall and resists bending a lot more than the thin-walled white pipe. But it costs more per metre.

Not sure. There's a lot of yellow plastic gas pipe being laid. It has a very thick wall, but is slightly flexible.

What about some steel exhaust tubing? It'll produce the most accurate rust effect ever! :D Plus it is very strong, can be bent if needed and is easy to notch and weld - and I have a MIG welder. Just putting that thought into your head. :)

Not sure. There's a lot of yellow plastic gas pipe being laid. It has a very thick wall, but is slightly flexible.

What about some steel exhaust tubing? It'll produce the most accurate rust effect ever! :D Plus it is very strong, can be bent if needed and is easy to notch and weld - and I have a MIG welder. Just putting that thought into your head. :)

ha ha nice! Yeah I think I'll plow ahead with PVC for now and it might be the PVC gets replaced as need depending on how much weight there is. At the very least the replaced PVC can be a pattern for the ali or the steel

seriously I would love to build one of these. I will def keep you in mind when I can get the time between "work and a 5 year old son" to build one. :thumbsup looking forward to your progress and keep up the great work!! ;)

oota, I just check back in with this build and your progress is awesome. You are inspiring me to get back to work on mine:)

Hey Smoke! yeah I've been motivated by a few rpf members to keep going at this guy too. I'm nearly up to the hip level and then I can get the legs and feet into primer before the next bit. Hoping to get back into this guy in 2 weeks time been busssssy. Post pics sometime Smoke be good to see what you are up to

Crap... I cant wait 2 weeks oota..... :popcorn I needz my robot crack!! :lol seriously tho, its all good bro just keep grinding ;)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back