Can someone identify this Star Trek DS9 Screen used prop?

TOS

Hi, I'm hoping some of you experts on DS9 and Voyager can identify this working prop. I bought it a decade+ ago and it was sold to me as a DS9 screen used prop, but the seller couldnt identify which episode/s it was used in. The prop lights up 2 blinking LEDs and the white square when you push a switch on the side. It also has a slot in the side, like something you would maybe slide an identity card in maybe? The white card next to it is the size of a business card and I'm including it in the pic for scale. IMAG0066.jpg Thanks everyone.

None of the episodes I can recall featured a 20th century style cardreader type prop. Nobody in Star Trek carried ID type cards, I'm sorry to say but the prop in the photo looks a bit fan made to me.

None of the episodes I can recall featured a 20th century style cardreader type prop. Nobody in Star Trek carried ID type cards, I'm sorry to say but the prop in the photo looks a bit fan made to me.

Wow, that's the best you can do? This piece doesnt look like '20th century' and I never said it was a card reader, I said it had a slot in the side, and I speculated it could be used to read a card. No offense but maybe next time stick to areas you have knowledge in before posting.

Anyone else? I know I've seen some obscure trek props identified on these forums.

Wow, that's the best you can do? This piece doesnt look like '20th century' and I never said it was a card reader, I said it had a slot in the side, and I speculated it could be used to read a card. No offense but maybe next time stick to areas you have knowledge in before posting.

Anyone else? I know I've seen some obscure trek props identified on these forums.

Anyone else ? With an attitude like yours towards a senior member with a point of view, I doubt it :facepalm

Anyone else ? With an attitude like yours towards a senior member with a point of view, I doubt it :facepalm

Let me out it this way, when I post in a forum I dont post in areas I have no knowledge in. For instance Star Wars, I know little to nothing about that franchise, therefore I dont offer my opinion to people seeking info on props from those films. The 1st poster clearly didnt read/comprehend my post before offering his 'opinion'. Its not a big deal so dont get upset, no offense to anyone was intended.

What i'm hoping for is some of the people specifically knowledgeable in the later Trek series will help identify my piece - if possible.

Let me out it this way, when I post in a forum I dont post in areas I have no knowledge in. For instance Star Wars, I know little to nothing about that franchise, therefore I dont offer my opinion to people seeking info on props from those films. The 1st poster clearly didnt read/comprehend my post before offering his 'opinion'. Its not a big deal so dont get upset, no offense to anyone was intended.

What i'm hoping for is some of the people specifically knowledgeable in the later Trek series will help identify my piece - if possible.

We are much more familiar and easy-going on this board. We have no "If you're not an expert, shut up" mentality. We share opinions freely and openly, whatever they may be, so long as we are respectful. And that is the big deal around here.

Anyway, good luck in identifying the prop :thumbsup

On that subject, it looks like a fan-made piece to me too, although I stand to be corrected of course.

We are much more familiar and easy-going on this board. We have no "If you're not an expert, shut up" mentality. We share opinions freely and openly, whatever they may be, so long as we are respectful. And that is the big deal around here.

Anyway, good luck in identifying the prop :thumbsup

On that subject, it looks like a fan-made piece to me too, although I stand to be corrected of course.

No problem, I guess I'm just more careful with posting opinions. I dont like to steer peope in a direction Im not sure of. Like I said though, no biggie.

I own a small collection of Voyager and TNG original props, all authenticated for me by HMS - the company that made them. The prop I'm asking was about was imo made by them as well, as it has many of the same build tells. Unfortunately they were not able to offer any info on that is piece to me. I'm hoping someone here recognizes it from an episode or screen capture.

I own a small collection of Voyager and TNG original props, all authenticated for me by HMS - the company that made them. The prop I'm asking was about was imo made by them as well, as it has many of the same build tells. Unfortunately they were not able to offer any info on that is piece to me. I'm hoping someone here recognizes it from an episode or screen capture.

If Mike couldn't tell you anything about it, then it's doubtful it was made by them. Mike has an astonishing (like in the elephant is shamed beyond belief :lol) memory !

If it wasn't Mike you asked, he is a member here, so ..... HMS Mike ..... paging Mike :D

... if it was you who were asked, sorry for paging you buddy :lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Let me start by saying I have a pretty good knowledge of Star Trek from TNG on-wards, and not only own some screen-used props but I've also made a lot too so I'm used to scouring the internet for screencaps and information.
To say that I have no knowledge is a big assumption on your part and as Alan pointed out it seemed a bit rude. and to say that I clearly didn't read/comprehend my post before offering as you quoted my "opinion" is not only condescending but ignorant.

I merely said that in Star Trek nobody carried ID cards which makes this a little unusual to see in a prop apparently from Star Trek.
There have been a good few props sold at auction and a whole plethora on e-bay over the years purporting to be screen-used and from the set of Star Trek, I just genuinely hope that you didn't get duped, given that the seller didn't have episodes as evidence to show where the prop was used in the series, so buying blind was either a ballsy or daft move, depending on how much you paid for it.

I will round out my response by simply saying that you came here looking for an opinion on a prop that you bought sold under to you under the impression that it was a screen-used prop from Star Trek Deep Space Nine with no proof of which episodes it featured in, so attack to me for not knowing only demonstrates your lack of knowledge.
To say you've bought items and had them approved by Mike is great, so have many other collectors and buyers it still doesn't mean you know everything about Star Trek and equally neither do I.

I hope someone can help you identify your prop, but remember politeness and not attacking other members for their "opinion" will go a long way here.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Let me start by saying I have a pretty good knowledge of Star Trek from TNG on-wards, and not only own some screen-used props but I've also made a lot too so I'm used to scouring the internet for screencaps and information.
To say that I have no knowledge is a big assumption on your part and as Alan pointed out it seemed a bit rude. and to say that I clearly didn't read/comprehend my post before offering as you quoted my "opinion" is not only condescending but ignorant.

I merely said that in Star Trek nobody carried ID cards which makes this a little unusual to see in a prop apparently from Star Trek.
There have been a good few props sold at auction and a whole plethora on e-bay over the years purporting to be screen-used and from the set of Star Trek, I just genuinely hope that you didn't get duped, given that the seller didn't have episodes as evidence to show where the prop was used in the series, so buying blind was either a ballsy or daft move, depending on how much you paid for it.

I will round out my response by simply saying that you came here looking for an opinion on a prop that you bought sold under to you under the impression that it was a screen-used prop from Star Trek Deep Space Nine with no proof of which episodes it featured in, so attack to me for not knowing only demonstrates your lack of knowledge.
To say you've bought items and had them approved by Mike is great, so have many other collectors and buyers it still doesn't mean you know everything about Star Trek and equally neither do I.

I hope someone can help you identify your prop, but remember politeness and not attacking other members for their "opinion" will go a long way here.

Good luck.

Wow, you talk about 'politeness and not attacking other members' and almost your entire post is an attack on me.

To anyone actually interested in helping me identify my piece, please PM me from here on out as I wont be posting in this thread anymore. Thanks!

Well I will post it here so everyone hears it. I do recognize the prop. As far as I know there was only one made for the shows and it was redressed over and over again. The last time it was at our shop it did not look like that. Now that does not mean that it could not have been reworked again at the studio or another shop. If it is the real prop that we worked on over and over again the base material is made of clear Plexiglas not colored resin.

Hope that the info helps you.

Mike

Well I will post it here so everyone hears it. I do recognize the prop. As far as I know there was only one made for the shows and it was redressed over and over again. The last time it was at our shop it did not look like that. Now that does not mean that it could not have been reworked again at the studio or another shop. If it is the real prop that we worked on over and over again the base material is made of clear Plexiglas not colored resin.

Hope that the info helps you.

Mike

That does help - thank you very much for posting.

I am not possitive, but it could be the id card reader from the ds9 episode "past tense" in which dax, bashir and sisko were transported to 21st century san frisisco. As sisko and bashir had no cards they were sent to the sanctuary district.

I am not possitive, but it could be the id card reader from the ds9 episode "past tense" in which dax, bashir and sisko were transported to 21st century san frisisco. As sisko and bashir had no cards they were sent to the sanctuary district.

Just went through the screencaps & I didn't see it either being held, or on the 'police' utility belt. Would a second pair of eyes like to take a shot ?

Top of page, two-parter

http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/index.php?cat=4&page=2

Hey everyone, first let me say thanks for all your efforts in trying to identify my piece. I know trying to identify an unknown prop by watching shows is very tedious, lol. You want to actually watch the show, not search for tiny slices of something that may or may not be there.

To answer the comments: Alan, I cant tell if it's made from plexi or not, it's painted inside and out. But.. I can tell it's been machined rather than cast, so I'm thinking it probaby is made of plexi since that was Mike's recollection. Also interesting about it is it's very detailed, and probably better constructed than my mark IV tricorder. You'd think something with this much work put into it would be seen as a hero piece but who knows how props are ultimatetly used on these shows.

And renaissance, I doubt it's from Babylon 5 as the gentleman I bought it from - and most of my other stuff as well - only sold props from Star Trek (though nothing from TOS). Although looking at it it does have a Babylon vibe to it alright.

And you know, I mentioned the slot in the side of it seeming like an ID card could go into it, well I suppose a key of some sort could go in it too. It's also possible that that feature of it was never utilized and it was simply used as a light up scanner of some sort. Or maybe it sat on a desk, or someone's belt, or was way in the backround, lol. No way to know without actually seeing it.. :)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back