Blade Runner 2049, old and new blasters!

I think K's blaster would look cool if it had a cylinder and it was a top break revolver.

Yes! 20157603_10214206528182512_8766081043.jpg

There are elements of the new blasters I like. Bits here and there. But I think Mark's point is probably the same reason I don't like it. It doesn't look like a weapon to me. It looks like a remote control, or some kind of non-lethal device. A taser of some kind. LUV's gun atleast that looks like something you shoot. but it still looks like something you shoot nerf darts out of. And as I was discussing a bit earlier today, I have such a deep adoration and unhealthy obsession with Deckard's gun, it might be clouding my judgement somewhat. I really wanted to like the new guns.

Another big thing for me is the idea that Blade Runner is not tech forward. The first film took it's future from the past. This one does not appear to do that on any level, so I might just need to see the film, see the props in the context of the story and the world, and I might fall in love with them then. Maybe.

Blade Runner is not tech forward. The first film took it's future from the past.

I totally agree that aspect of the production design hasn't been coming through as much as I'd like to see. I think if Luv's gun (luv-gun : /) had a better differentiation of materials it would look really great. The matte & gloss monochromatic look isn't doing it any favors. There are some cool details there - little bits that evoke the sight rod, the bolt lever... but none of them pop and it's a shame.

On a total tangent, I'm hoping Duncan Jone's Mute will bring back that tech-noir flavor we're all craving if this one misses the target.

I bought my Coyle Worldcon version (resin) when, no kidding, I had $20.19 balance in my Paypal account. Total coincidence.

I think what we may be missing that is so much of BR's production design and set dressing used old stuff. The "blaster" (I always thought of it as his sidearm) is a kinda Asian cheap-o firearm with plastic grip, the add-on breach gives it an "old tech" look. What's it do? Who knows. But instead of some electronics or caseless ammo or other sci-fi mumbo jumbo, it looks like someone cross-bred two firearms, retrofitted some electronics (much of the BR production design was based on retrofitting stuff onto stuff onto stuff to an insane degree), and voila, you have some kind of pretty dang powerful sidearm, maybe a one of a kind.

I have an old Webley that someone modded to handle .45 rounds (but takes cowboy load, my father said it "spewed metal" when he used regular cartridges), then did a botched job rebluing it. It's a Frankengun. Still firing, I should take it to a range sometime. That's what Deckard's gun reminded me of. Something a gunsmith toyed around with. He took it to a back-street Chinatown gunsmith who said, "They no make parts for these no more. But I can cut up this rifle I have in my trash bin and make something work for you…"

K's looks like something you'd buy. Or get from the armory. Or order from the back of Soldier of Fortune. I'm sure it serves the plot. I'm sure it even fits the character (Deckard was "out," maybe K is still on active service). It doesn't have to look like Deckard's, probably better that it doesn't to help differentiate the characters and their kit. All this poo-pooing, you'd think they gave Deckard a different gun that looks like the Star Trek Discovery Phaser 2.

isn't k's gun a "nod" to the original "blaster" sketch design?? alil updated to not look like hair curler's... but it kinda looks like it to me.... :confused maybe this one will shoot a mini black hole :wacko

Wow, the new VK looks very interesting !
But it must be annoying to hold it onto a replicants eyes all the time while asking him 'some' questions ?!

I think what's indeed missing from the new blaster is the thing that fed the aesthetic through the whole of the original movie: retrofitting. Deckard's PKD looks like it was cobbled together from old parts of different firearms because it WAS. K's pistol looks too new and sleek. It's very cool for other SF, but it doesn't dovetail into the Ridleyverse.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I like elements of the new blaster. But the trigger and other sleek areas are not as great. Looks too futuristic, and as many have already said, it lacks the elements that draw on something current. I like the handle and the front though.

The "New V.K." looks like...:behave...but we forget that it's 2049 and it could just be a portable V.K. (nothing impressive visually, looks like some kind of Polaroid camera).

Looks like a Walkman, or one of those phone-video cameras that Nokia was touting for real amateur filmmaking (and had some stars and folks making films, incl. Gary Oldman).

The full VK took in breath (hence the bellows) and other indicators, this looks like a "pocket breathalyzer" version. "Hey, wanna see a video of a real, live sheep I have for sale? Look into this viewer for a second…."

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back