How to do...

Real Scooby

Could anyone hint me to how to create effect clouds of smoke/dirt/sandstorm... to use for dioramas ?

Last edited:
That's probably one of the hardest things to pull off.

Smoke trails may be the easiest of what you're asking, especially if you illuminate the interior near the source with fiber optics, but dust or sand clouds, that's really tough.

The only way I'd try it would be if your perspective was dictated by one point, in other words you are only looking from one plane like the front of an aquarium and then I'd try to insert multiple planes of clear styrene lightly dusted with the appropriate translucent color. That way, you'd have one level of obfuscation before the model, then building levels as the distance increases.

Ok, do give you a picture, I want to try to create the launch scene of the Falcon from TFA with my upcoming 144 Bandai. When Rey dunks the cockpit cone into the sand.
Either that or the hard hit of Han in the snow

Cotton stuffing. You can airbrush it and even add lights to it to illuminate it from within to create explosions. Gives and incredibly realistic effect. This will only work on heavy clouds of dust. It doesn't have the same effect of wispy smoke or fog. I believe there was a posting here where a guy recreated the battle of hoth using lightbulbs and painted cotton stuffing.
https://spikeybits.com/2014/10/hobby-how-to-make-explosions-smoke.html
https://static.squarespace.com/stat...000w/554340_366760723422989_1857448963_n.jpeg

TazMan2000

Yes, use batting made for stuffing pillows and stuffed animals. Don't use cotton balls. Here is my Deluxe Eagle using batting. It was teased into shape and spray painted. Little dabs of white glue hold it to clear support rods.
1z1hd3q.jpg
55pld1.jpg

I just got the idea to make a diorama with a huge twister tornado in with flickering lightning bolt effects in it at the top and make it actualu twist.wow so many ideas so little time.
Now i think of it ,..you can make real smoke actualy twist with a fan can;t you!?

Check out the Halo 3 Diorama "Believe", it looks like they use cotton for smoke and trail effects

Last edited by a moderator:
Robiwon

Thanks, I definatly will give that a try. That Eagle display looks way awesome :) :)

WarpeD

Ahm, yeah... biking-gloves ? Unless I have to rip them apart to get to some filling material ... ;) :) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back