Sandcrawler

So if the Studio Model is around 1/32 to 1/35th, I believe I could get away with using a 1/32 Sherman for those parts when scaling down to 1/72 ( or in the ballpark anyway)

Make sure you get a Sherman with an HVSS so the bogies match....

Gene

Any "Easy 8" Sherman variant will probably be as good as the other since all you are using is the suspension/drive. And most of that is covered up. The Sandcrawler also makes generous use oft he 1/24 scale Harrier, so if you can find a 1/48th Harrier kit with engine, you can use that, too.

Gene

The dimensions in those books are way off, the studio model is 43.5" in length. Regarding the sherman tanks they modified them a lot by cutting the chassis and removing several links of track. The full length tracks were not used "out of the box."

So the SS Sandcrawler is 1/36 scale, if Wookipedia's length of 40 metersn(~131'), and U87cylon's figure is correct.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
So the SS Sandcrawler is 1/36 scale, if Wookipedia's length of 40 metersn(~131'), and U87cylon's figure is correct.

TazMan2000

1/36 would be pretty good with down scaling some key parts

the 1/16 Sherman 1/16 would scale down to 1/32 (I found 1/35 parts, but will have to look for 1/32 parts)
the 1/24 Harrier stuff would scale down to 1/48. There seems to be kits of that as well
1/32 stuff scales down to 1/64 (an established scale for many things)
1/48 drops to 1/96 (an odd scale, but there may be some hope, or possibly fudge it with 1/87 stuff if it's not to key of a piece)
1/72 drops to 1/144
1/144 drops to 288 (never seen this scale unless by accident with "box" scale stuff)

I did my own calculations based on the 1/16 Sherman Tank wheel width, which "should" be 3.25 cm in diameter. Of course such a tiny part compared to the length of the entire model, there is going to be some error incurred. I calculated 105.7 cm or 41.6 inches. Still a far cry from 125 cm. or 49.2 inches as stated in the Star Wars Chronicles book. I have the original 1/24 harrier part used in the back and I will measure that out and compare it to the rear photo.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
taking measurements from my tamiya 1/16 tank with a set of digital calipers:

road wheel diameter: 31.89mm
width of a set of road wheels: 27.03mm
length of HVSS bogie and wheels (total length including the two sets road wheels): 85.72mm

diameter of upper rear tensioner wheel: 34.06mm

width of single track element: 36.39mm
length of single track element: 9.72mm
thickness of single track element: 4.80mm
distance from outside edge of road wheel to outside edge of track: 5.24mm

taking measurements from my tamiya 1/16 tank with a set of digital calipers:

road wheel diameter: 31.89mm
width of a set of road wheels: 27.03mm
length of HVSS bogie and wheels (total length including the two sets road wheels): 85.72mm

diameter of upper rear tensioner wheel: 34.06mm

width of single track element: 36.39mm
length of single track element: 9.72mm
thickness of single track element: 4.80mm
distance from outside edge of road wheel to outside edge of track: 5.24mm

Thanks very much for those measurements. I'll recalculate this this tomorrow. Too late tonight.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
WIth Tsnecal's measurements, I calculate the length of the SC to be 102.88 cm or 40.5 inches. I guess it's no so surprising that such small differences in measurements can have huge swings because of how small the parts are compared to the whole. I guess that would put the scale at about 1/39.

Checking behind the scenes photos online such as StarWarsbehindthescenes12.jpg suggests to me that we're getting close.

TazMan2000

If your referring to the studio model then it's 43.5" and not 40.5"
I measured the studio model in person when it was on tour and its exactly 43.5" long from the top rear to the front edge.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize that you did that. I thought your figure was derived from measuring a known object and extrapolating.
Did you have special access to measure it directly, or did you measure it behind glass?

TazMan2000

Resurrecting this this thread since I now have had a chance to measure this against a known larger part. I calculated the width of the studio model to be about 297.5mm and the length to be 1095mm with extrapolation between photos. With error creeping in on pixel width and distortion, I can say that the length is between 43 and 43.5 inches as U87cylon measured and the width 11.71 inches based on my calculations.

TazMan2000

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back