Dragoncon 2015

Hey everyone ! I met a lot of you around con. I met helpfulnerd and matrixspoon in the Hyatt. I kept running in to helpfulnard and he has a great plan for cosplay idea. I have four people in for our football game. I am signed up for any meet up next year.

Hey jrusso8504 it was good to meet you!!!

Since you are still interested in being part of the Rebel X-Wing Pilot Football Player cosplay for next year I started this thread for that group costume:
http://www.therpf.com/f79/rebel-x-wing-pilot-football-costume-group-costume-dragoncon2015-223656/

Message me on that thread and let me know what character you want to be and I'll update the list. I'm still working on the official price list for the costume parts. I am so happy my costume went over so well and that others are interested in taking part.

... We failed to get the Hyatt. Hilton vouchers are all gone. Sheraton is sold out. Westin is out of their current room block and is pending release of more rooms at a future date. All that leaves is Marriott in the near future for the main Dragon Con hotels...

I'm pretty sure the hotels release blocks of rooms periodically. I've been going for about 10 years, always stayed in a host hotel, and I've never booked before January. I checked my e-mail records - in 2013 I booked on Feb 11th, and in 2014 I booked on Mar 3rd. Just keep trying!

Last year we booked our room in the Westin on the last day of the con at the front desk with no trouble whatsoever. This year we couldn't get a room anywhere. Yay, con stress.

Last year we booked our room in the Westin on the last day of the con at the front desk with no trouble whatsoever. This year we couldn't get a room anywhere. Yay, con stress.

our group tried that as well and we had to wait till tuesday after 10 am est

So...In the past, and at Dragoncon, and even after Dragoncon, I have been told I should do Loki, cause I look like him whats everyone think about that?...should I go for it?....

Also I'm thinking of doing a Crossplay...for those that don't know that's costuming as the opposite sex...what does everyone think about that?...worried I might get greff for it?...

would like everyone's advise and input thanks...

I have about 8 ideas for new Cosplays and I'm fine tuning and deciding on what I'm going to start working on for next year...

Conversation starter...

What did everyone learn from Dragoncon 2014?....

My Secound Year at Dragoncon I learned this:

I learned I need a handler for my New costumes...

I learned I need a ice vest for my New costumes, seeing I lasted an hour and a half until I was ready to pass out...

I learned NOT to stay up to late (ex: 7am every day) , other wise you wake up late, and miss a lot of the con, especially the parade...

I learned the Marriott does not have microwaves, so the huge box of microwavable food I brought to save money never got used nor eaten...

I learned being alone and single at the con sucks, having friends around 100% is better then 50% of the time...(special thanks to RPF memembers: helpfulnerd, & inkblot for hanging out with me and letting me hang out with you.)

And the Most important thing of all I learned: Is to finish your costume before the con. There's nothing like being in your hotel room working and sowing your costume while you know all the fun is going on, and you can hear the people and music, and all you can do is say to your self...I gotta finish my cosplay, as your missing parts of the con...

There's a lot more then all that, but those are the chart toppers for me...what about everyone else?...

Last edited by a moderator:
So...In the past, and at Dragoncon, and even after Dragoncon, I have been told I should do Loki, cause I look like him whats everyone think about that?...should I go for it?....

Also I'm thinking of doing a Crossplay...for those that don't know that's costuming as the opposite sex...what does everyone think about that?...worried I might get greff for it?...

would like everyone's advise and input thanks...

I have about 8 ideas for new Cosplays and I'm fine tuning and deciding on what I'm going to start working on for next year...

I have seen plenty of rule 63's at dragon con and have never seen anyone say something "mean" about it, not saying it hasn't happened just haven't seen it, but i wouldn't worry about it anyways. Someone doesn't like something I have done, that's their problem :D. With that said in general females doing a rule 63 costume are usually more on the serious side, and males doing a rule 63 are usually more on the silly side, Like I saw several male 63 "Mistys" from pokemon and the were full on hairy legs and five o'clock shadows or full on beards.

I am thinking of doing a blood bowl black orc I am fairly new to making stuff like this so if anyone knows of a build on something similar I would appreciate it if you tossed a link my way :D

Conversation starter...

What did everyone learn from Dragoncon 2014?....

My Secound Year at Dragoncon I learned this:

I learned I need a handler for my New costumes...

I learned I need a ice vest for my New costumes, seeing I lasted an hour and a half until I was ready to pass out...

I learned NOT to stay up to late (ex: 7am every day) , other wise you wake up late, and miss a lot of the con, especially the parade...

I learned the Marriott does not have microwaves, so the huge box of microwavable food I brought to save money never got used nor eaten...

I learned being alone and single at the con sucks, having friends around 100% is better then 50% of the time...(special thanks to RPF memembers: helpfulnerd, & inkblot for hanging out with me and letting me hang out with you.)

And the Most important thing of all I learned: Is to finish your costume before the con. There's nothing like being in your hotel room working and sowing your costume while you know all the fun is going on, and you can hear the people and music, and all you can do is say to your self...I gotta finish my cosplay, as your missing parts of the con...

There's a lot more then all that, but those are the chart toppers for me...what about everyone else?...

-Having a handler in a complicated costume is definitely an awesome thing to have. With my loki shoulder armor I built, people would have walked into it left and right if I did not have someone will me to bodily block the way in front of my shoulder piece.
-I am going to start working on stuff right away and get it done well before con so if I end up with any other ideas as the year wears on I will actually have time for them and not be finishing things on the way or at the con ( IE- scalemail working on the plane)
- I am so grateful that part of my costumes was wearing a shaper layer underneath which kept my costume from soaking up any sweat from when I was out in the sunlight for the big Marvel shoot. That got deathly really fast, thank god they brought a water cooler.
- I am also grateful that we went to bed around 2am each night so we were able to get up and see morning things ;-; but still missed the parade due to drama and threat of someone who is no longer a part of our group and will never be spoken to again.....

GOAL? MAKE THE PARADE NEXT YEAR xD two years now and I've still not seen the parade lol

I have more things on this train of thought but this is all I can think of at the moment.

I have seen plenty of rule 63's at dragon con and have never seen anyone say something "mean" about it, not saying it hasn't happened just haven't seen it, but i wouldn't worry about it anyways. Someone doesn't like something I have done, that's their problem :D. With that said in general females doing a rule 63 costume are usually more on the serious side, and males doing a rule 63 are usually more on the silly side, Like I saw several male 63 "Mistys" from pokemon and the were full on hairy legs and five o'clock shadows or full on beards.

I am thinking of doing a blood bowl black orc I am fairly new to making stuff like this so if anyone knows of a build on something similar I would appreciate it if you tossed a link my way :D

No mine would be totally serious, to the point you couldn't even tell...so yeah...

I've wanted to crossplay Desolation Jones for a while and will probably start putting the outfit together after i fully decompress and get through some of the other sewing I promised myself i'd do.

It seems like more women crossplay than men, but that dynamic seems to be changing, particularly in recent years. Reconceptualizing and making things work seems like part of the fun. Why anyone would choose to be mean about it I don't know, but there certainly shouldn't be any reason that should keep you from crossplaying if you wish.

No mine would be totally serious, to the point you couldn't even tell...so yeah...

I still wouldn't worry about it. I can recall seeing a Storm from Xmen that was pretty convincing, save for the adam's apple the size of my fist. (and my fist is pretty big) didn't see anyone bothering them. The costuming track does a LGBT party and there is even a furry meetup, so pretty much anything goes. So it's not like you will get run down and beaten for it or anything. For the most part people follow the "don't be a dick" rule.

So far as I'm concerned, a costume that I don't finish in time for the con is a costume for the next year. If something of mine isn't ready, it doesn't get packed.

So far as I'm concerned, a costume that I don't finish in time for the con is a costume for the next year. If something of mine isn't ready, it doesn't get packed.

that is very true, though I took costumes with me and finished them and finished sowing in the room,,,,,I acutally have one cosplay I've been working on for almost 2 year, which is my Iron Man Mark 7 suit that is highly detailed...I keep leaving at home...

Oh man, this was my first Dragon*Con since 1997 and, DAYUM, has it gotten big since then! I almost felt like a newbie again, and I definitely relate to the above posts. Main things I learned:

- Handler: YES! I was solo for a little while because my friends and I went to different shoots on Friday, and of course that's when the wardrobe malfunctions began. When another friend showed up during the Skyrim shoot I was so, so happy to see him. I'd already designated him as squire for the con, and he was a lifesaver. It is so much easier to do a repair when there's someone there to hold your stuff, hand you things, help you keep that part in place while you duct tape the crap out of the inside of it, and tell people that no, you're not posing right now. I got a little pissed off when I had to take off a piece of my armor to replace a metal ring that somehow gave way, and there was a photographer still trying to take photos of me after I told him no. I literally had to hide in an alcove until I got the repair finished. My friend was also handy in blocking people from crashing into my pauldrons (for my safety and theirs - nobody needs a dragon claw in their eye).
- Start sooner than you think you need to. I was still working on some last-minute things on Wednesday night and there are some things I didn't do because I was just out of time. I thought I had planned it well, but I am starting now on next year's costumes.
- I would probably see more of the parade if I marched in it. So very crowded.
- Book room even if friends won't freaking commit. We ended up at the Omni this year because everyone hemmed and hawed until November. The service at the Omni was great, but it's just too far from the energy of the con and walking 4 blocks in armor sucks. I also passed up booking the Sheraton when they opened that block before the con this year for 2015 because they weren't sure. Next year, I'm getting the freakin' room even if I end up in it alone. I have booked the Omni again as a safety net but will keep plugging away at the host hotels.
- Bring lighting. I don't know about everyone else's room, but ours was dark. It was also one of the atrium ones that looks at CNN instead of the outside, so there wasn't even any natural light. Tough to do makeup. I have folks on the thrift store prowl for one of those lighted mirror thingies.
- Check out on Tuesday. There's more happening on Monday than I thought, and that was a way better time to be in the vendor hall.

So, what am I doing for 2015? We want to do a Mass Effect group costume, so I have chosen Aria T'loak. She's perfect for gals like me who suffer from Chronic B*%ch Face. I'm not as good at sewing as I am at building, but I have a helper for that. I'm going to start by building weapons. Can't wait! I have some other ideas I'm kicking around, but I haven't settled on anything yet. Will post once I narrow it down.

There's a meetup? Well, since I'm new here I feel a little weird saying I want to come but I definitely enjoy meeting other artists. :)

Oh man, this was my first Dragon*Con since 1997 and, DAYUM, has it gotten big since then! I almost felt like a newbie again, and I definitely relate to the above posts. Main things I learned:

- Handler: YES! I was solo for a little while because my friends and I went to different shoots on Friday, and of course that's when the wardrobe malfunctions began. When another friend showed up during the Skyrim shoot I was so, so happy to see him. I'd already designated him as squire for the con, and he was a lifesaver. It is so much easier to do a repair when there's someone there to hold your stuff, hand you things, help you keep that part in place while you duct tape the crap out of the inside of it, and tell people that no, you're not posing right now. I got a little pissed off when I had to take off a piece of my armor to replace a metal ring that somehow gave way, and there was a photographer still trying to take photos of me after I told him no. I literally had to hide in an alcove until I got the repair finished. My friend was also handy in blocking people from crashing into my pauldrons (for my safety and theirs - nobody needs a dragon claw in their eye).
- Start sooner than you think you need to. I was still working on some last-minute things on Wednesday night and there are some things I didn't do because I was just out of time. I thought I had planned it well, but I am starting now on next year's costumes.
- I would probably see more of the parade if I marched in it. So very crowded.
- Book room even if friends won't freaking commit. We ended up at the Omni this year because everyone hemmed and hawed until November. The service at the Omni was great, but it's just too far from the energy of the con and walking 4 blocks in armor sucks. I also passed up booking the Sheraton when they opened that block before the con this year for 2015 because they weren't sure. Next year, I'm getting the freakin' room even if I end up in it alone. I have booked the Omni again as a safety net but will keep plugging away at the host hotels.
- Bring lighting. I don't know about everyone else's room, but ours was dark. It was also one of the atrium ones that looks at CNN instead of the outside, so there wasn't even any natural light. Tough to do makeup. I have folks on the thrift store prowl for one of those lighted mirror thingies.
- Check out on Tuesday. There's more happening on Monday than I thought, and that was a way better time to be in the vendor hall.

So, what am I doing for 2015? We want to do a Mass Effect group costume, so I have chosen Aria T'loak. She's perfect for gals like me who suffer from Chronic B*%ch Face. I'm not as good at sewing as I am at building, but I have a helper for that. I'm going to start by building weapons. Can't wait! I have some other ideas I'm kicking around, but I haven't settled on anything yet. Will post once I narrow it down.

There's a meetup? Well, since I'm new here I feel a little weird saying I want to come but I definitely enjoy meeting other artists. :)

Glad you learned from your experience...as far as the meet up, we had about 25 people show up to the meet...Doesn't matter if your new in the sport or a veet...we all enjoy talking and socializing and most importantly, learning new things...so feel free to join us next year...please let me know if your going to attend the meet next year, so we have a custom badge for you, thanks...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back