Star Trek: Discovery (2017)

How are you watching Star Trek: Discovery?

• Signed up for CBS All Access before watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Signed up for CBS All Access after watching the premiere

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Not signing up, but will watch if it's available for free

Votes: 82 57.3%
  • On Netflix (Non-US viewer)

Votes: 35 24.5%

• Total voters
I think hiring Jonathan Frakes is mostly fan service to bring in more of the older fans, much like the various executive director roles they've handed out. I don't see how it will greatly alter the quality of the show one way or another.

I think hiring Jonathan Frakes is mostly fan service to bring in more of the older fans, much like the various executive director roles they've handed out. I don't see how it will greatly alter the quality of the show one way or another.

Exactly. The same thing applies to the Orville. They are only trying to bring in the older Trek fans to both series.

I feel as if he must have learned a ton by bsg. He's probably got enough chops to come back to star trek

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I agree. He loves Trek and only left, which he states was very painful for him during Voyager after getting screwed by Braga.

I agree. He loves Trek and only left, which he states was very painful for him during Voyager after getting screwed by Braga.
Exactly. A lot has happened since then to the way tv is made. And he was a HUGE part of that. He's got the clout to properly do a show like this and feel good about it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kevin Smith talked about it when he was directing the DC CW shows. On TV directors are pretty much there to just get the shots done. Not change the tone of the show or innovate it.

Exactly. The same thing applies to the Orville. They are only trying to bring in the older Trek fans to both series.

I get the feeling that in Orville's case, it's also because Seth Macfarlane is a big Trek fanboy and wanted Frakes involved. He may have already known him from the time they did that Family Guy TNG episode. Bringing in Trek fans may also have been a factor in that decision, but I think the show has already managed that in various other ways.

I get the feeling that in Orville's case, it's also because Seth Macfarlane is a big Trek fanboy and wanted Frakes involved. He may have already known him from the time they did that Family Guy TNG episode. Bringing in Trek fans may also have been a factor in that decision, but I think the show has already managed that in various other ways.

Macfarlane is also friends with Stewart. I would not be surprised if he shows up in some capacity.

Man, I swear I had a thought on ST and GoT style storytelling.... :lol

I had less skepticism than some about Discovery, but it keeps growing.

Well it sounds a bit more promising to me. One of my big concerns was continuity, and if they are melding in some TOS technology, costumes, sets and characters, I'm all for it. In addition, if they are inspired by Game of Thrones in any way, that is a real plus, IMO. I also like the fact that they will be inclusive of 'lower deck' characters and perspectives!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just what the genre needed- the best positive SciFi property out there tainted by extreme violence, incest, rape and cruelty. They're really trying their best to ruin things.

It's becoming clear this isn't another JJ'ing, it's far worse.

IF they want to make edgy dark GOT in space with crew in conflict, then DO IT without dragging Trek into it.
But the studio want's that brand name on it!

Channeling Darmok....

Taylor on the beach, screaming and beating hands in the sand.

Last edited:
More GoT style or influence could mean almost anything. Hopefully it won't mean that everything is all super dark and gritty and they kill characters off left and right while others get horribly messed up, either physically or mentally. Hopefully it will mean that it will be more like DS9 with continuing story arcs and the whole show being more serial and not episodic and where something that happens in one episode actually matters, tldr: no reset button at the end of each episode.

I'm starting to wonder how many people are going to sign up for CBS All Abcess not because they really want to see this show, but just because they want to see how good or bad it's going to be. Also, is anyone putting odds on whether or not airing the pilot episode on network television will result in a spike in subscribers, a minor blip, or make no difference at all? :popcorn

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back