Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
Yeah, Willie, I posted about that book the Jedi Path Nd Rian's post a page back. Personally I love it he is so engaged with fans, even those who attack him.
It's been nothing short of amazing how personable and outgoing Rian has been all along. He was interacting with fans since practically day one. If you haven't read his reply about Leia's Superman scene, it's worth seeking - it's high among my dislikes in TLJ, but I've warmed up to it (it's actually his reply to his reply's reply that's pretty amazingly funny).

While part of me will always been against a trilogy away from our main saga, I am still very curious to see what he creates. He's always created solid films and television episodes (Breaking Bads' Ozymandias for one).

i havent been in this thread much, and i dont know if this was already brought up, but i was told by a friend who has twitter that johnson explained the power luke uses at the end, and its called doppelgänger

any truth behind this? anyone else hear this?

i havent been in this thread much, and i dont know if this was already brought up, but i was told by a friend who has twitter that johnson explained the power luke uses at the end, and its called doppelgänger

any truth behind this? anyone else hear this?
It's on his twitter, he posted photos from a 2010 book called The Jedi Path.

Rian has commented on that too. He said that the film was meant to leave the impression that Kylo couldn't be sure the graflex was destroyed, because he sees a bright flash and is knocked unconscious. Luke projects it because he's deliberately doing everything he can to enrage Kylo, which is his weakness.

Shouldn't anger increase his dark side power though?

Shouldn't anger increase his dark side power though?

Well, Kylo being unable to contain his rage is an on-going thing. Also, that's the beauty of the force projection.

Here's the actual quote from Rian:
“[Luke] is basically tailoring this projection to have maximum effect on Kylo. He knows that Kylo’s Achilles heel is his rage, and so that’s why he kind of makes himself look younger, the way Kylo would’ve last seen him in their confrontation at the temple, and that’s why he decided to bring Kylo’s grandfather’s lightsaber down there—the lightsaber that Kylo screamed at Rey, ‘That’s mine, that belongs to me.’”

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if he got the idea there, but he's using it to answer criticisms that force projection isn't canon. The same book says Jedi's can make themselves as small as a single atom. :facepalm
I didn't necessarily take it that he was using it to say it wasn't canon or as defense against the criticism - just that the idea had been out there. While I will agree that there differences between the two - had we never seen a Force ghost prior to Luke doing this, I might have a bigger issue with it. Had the effort to do his projection not killed him in the end, I might a bigger issue with.

Now - as small as an atom and all that, I have no idea the context - but, that just seems silly. But, so does bringing back Darth Maul and a hundred other little things we've seen become canon.

Not sure if he got the idea there, but he's using it to answer criticisms that force projection isn't canon. The same book says Jedi's can make themselves as small as a single atom. :facepalm
From what it sounds like from Pablo, they can take what they like from the EU/non-canon and use it and disregard what they don't like. I'm not an EU fan but I hear some really cool things that came from it, e.g.. Thrawn.

This is such a weird discussion on its face. It's canon if it was in a movie. Now it has been. Has zero relevance to whether or not it's stupid.

But really... You just made a movie that has 100x more relevance to canon than all of the books.

Last edited:
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' Heads Toward Final Global Total Of $1.3+ Billion

We can talk about The Last Jedi coming in below expectations, then, and the reasons it happened without fooling ourselves into thinking it is some sort of failure or signifier of deeper problems. I assure you, while Disney-Lucasfilm surely expected slightly higher numbers, nobody is sulking around headquarters today, and that endless merchandising stream continues to pour larger profit margins into their overflowing pockets.

Despite this, cue the Disney doomsday conspiracies.... :lol (We need a tinfoil hat emoji).

Wow, still on your little tinfoil hat trip? Why does criticism of JGL and RJ chafe you so violently?....:behave

You can just use the "cry" emoji that's already here from now on. Save you the trouble of typing "tinfoil hat" every time.....:lol

hopefully this can be fixed, what if the entire Luke experience is a force projection on the island and at the base all a projection, Luke Lives! and what kinda vegetarian message in this movie, let chewy eat a porg! its not okay to mynocks infest the ship but porgs are okay?

heres another reason why this movie sucks https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

you can see where the writers are coming from, I want movie to entertain me not lecture me, plus they're killing everyone who is really alive and they let live the one person who really is dead?

This is such a weird discussion on its face. It's canon if it was in a movie. Now it has been. Has zero relevance to whether or not it's stupid.

But really... You just made a movie that has 100x more relevance to canon than all of the books.

Unfortunately.

hopefully this can be fixed, what if the entire Luke experience is a force projection on the island and at the base all a projection, Luke Lives! and what kinda vegetarian message in this movie, let chewy eat a porg! its not okay to mynocks infest the ship but porgs are okay?

heres another reason why this movie sucks https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/movies/star-wars-last-jedi-women-run-universe.html

you can see where the writers are coming from, I want movie to entertain me not lecture me, plus they're killing everyone who is really alive and they let live the one person who really is dead?

Please elaborate on your point on "why this movie sucks."

Is it the four women out of eleven in the story group? The increased use of fully realized female characters?

I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt and not cry sexism, but I'm not sure what else to conclude from your vague insinuation. What am I missing?

Also....you really think SW has a "vegetarian message?" Really? Like, forreals?

read the article more closely, one of the first moves was to make the entire story group female. the story line is forced and biased, the female focus seems forced, you notice it. Alien, Aliens you dont notice that the main character is female, it doesn't matter it just is. BSG,the new one, Starbuck is a girl, it just is, theres no unrealistic writing no weird bias. politics entered BSG abortion, terrorism etc, it was part of the story line not some "message"I liked Atomic Blonde and Wonder Woman. In my mind they were great movies, not some "the force is female" message disguised as entertainment As a matter of fact Im tired of hearing about what a breakthrough wonder woman is for women, its a great movie, its wonder woman, of course the lead character is a woman-duh? So the movie sucks because of the crude bias in it. Other weird antifa themes, include military contractors want war and profit from it. No sane person wants war. Special effects, space battles-way too few, a plot so childlike its like it was written by middle schoolers, some awesome new ships we see so little of, few people can believe a giant imperial starship cant out run some rebel transport-and if it cant at sublight, simple just hyperspace jump in front and waste them. What Empire leaves its ships unguarded all the time, I can believe you sneaking on to a USN aircraft carrier in Alameda but a dreadnought has no security except for one droid and elite stormtroopers mop floors? TLJ is essentially a pretty good fan film done at a community college, its story simplistic a copy of the real thing

read the article more closely, one of the first moves was to make the entire story group female. the story line is forced and biased, the female focus seems forced, you notice it. Alien, Aliens you dont notice that the main character is female, it doesn't matter it just is. BSG,the new one, Starbuck is a girl, it just is, theres no unrealistic writing no weird bias. politics entered BSG abortion, terrorism etc, it was part of the story line not some "message"I liked Atomic Blonde and Wonder Woman. In my mind they were great movies, not some "the force is female" message disguised as entertainment As a matter of fact Im tired of hearing about what a breakthrough wonder woman is for women, its a great movie, its wonder woman, of course the lead character is a woman-duh? So the movie sucks because of the crude bias in it. Other weird antifa themes, include military contractors want war and profit from it. No sane person wants war. Special effects, space battles-way too few, a plot so childlike its like it was written by middle schoolers, some awesome new ships we see so little of, few people can believe a giant imperial starship cant out run some rebel transport-and if it cant at sublight, simple just hyperspace jump in front and waste them. What Empire leaves its ships unguarded all the time, I can believe you sneaking on to a USN aircraft carrier in Alameda but a dreadnought has no security except for one droid and elite stormtroopers mop floors? TLJ is essentially a pretty good fan film done at a community college, its story simplistic a copy of the real thing

Wow.

Funny how you don't like movies with a supposed bias in them. How do you suppose women feel about films where there are no fully realized female characters? You might even say that a majority of films have a crude bias towards men (especially white, heterosexual men). And yet Hollywood has spent decades selling us these movies as universally relatable.

And, like...Antifa? Really? C'mon. Besides the fact that I think linking this to contemporary events is absurd on its face, the ENTIRE PREMISE of the "war" in Star Wars is anti-fascist.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back