Monolith from 2001

Astonishing that the rejected prototype clear lucite Monolith was re-used for the Queen's Jubilee!

On the other hand, I guess now we know the true dimensions of the 2001 Monolith: 10' 9" x 5' 9" x 8".

Karl

I believe that the piece in the traveling Kubrick exhibit you're referring to is actually an art piece created in the 1960s, of different proportions to the 2001 monolith. The description says something like "this piece could have inspired the monolith in the film", or something similar.

You can see photos from the exhibition's recent LA opening on our Facebook page:

Stanley Kubrick Exhibit Opening - Oct 24 2012 | Facebook

Best,
Brandon

Hi Brandon,

The piece I was referring to looked like an accurate replica of the monolith.... I'm talking about its proportions here because it was obvious it was too small compared to the screenused prop... and it was hanging from the celling, high above the visitors' heads.

You also have to keep in mind that every museum has its own way of displayed the exhibition, for example the starchild was also hung to the celling in Paris...

Fred

PS : BTW, great info on the Art piece displayed at the queen jubile, happy to have learned something new today !

:thumbsup

I believe that the piece in the traveling Kubrick exhibit you're referring to is actually an art piece created in the 1960s, of different proportions to the 2001 monolith.

I just looked at the photo, and I am 99% sure I saw this exact piece on display at the RISD museum in Providence. They simply had it leaning on one of the walls. I think they actually mentioned it being inspired by 2001.

Joel

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back