Bandai 1/144 Millennium Falcon Lando version

Really terrific job! Did you paint the blue or is that the decals? I'm also guessing you used a brown panel accent ink? I'm just starting to fiddle with the engine lighting on mine, but I hope mine turns out as good as yours.

Thanks!

1. It's the included water-slide decals. They were a pain - I forgot how delicate Bandai's decals can be, and several of them are quite large.

2. For the basic panel accenting I used Flory's Models clay-based washes (http://www.florymodels.co.uk/washes/). I used a mixture of Grime and Light to get that sandy light brown color (see https://www.flickr.com/photos/aalpern/41366630610/ or https://www.instagram.com/p/BkvJX99F0WO/). I also did a small bit of pin-washing using Citadel Agrax Earthshade in places I missed with the wash, and a couple of spots of Seraphim Sepia for fuel leaks (both with a 20/0 liner brush).

It's currently all stock. I have a couple of replacement cockpit cones & cockpits on the way from 308 Bits on Shapeways. I ordered both the regular replacement Falcon cone (which is what's on my TFA falcon you can see in the comparison shot) and the McQuarrie concept cockpit cone.

And of course these turned out to be a complete and utter pain. Because of the traditional and much-lamented fact that the interior sets can't possibly fit inside the exterior shell. So it's taken a lot of mangling to make the internal corridors to be short enough to fit. Maybe. I don't know - I've got to wait for my tests to see if they come close!

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 17.49.09.pngScreen Shot 2018-07-06 at 17.48.47.png

And of course these turned out to be a complete and utter pain. Because of the traditional and much-lamented fact that the interior sets can't possibly fit inside the exterior shell. So it's taken a lot of mangling to make the internal corridors to be short enough to fit. Maybe. I don't know - I've got to wait for my tests to see if they come close!

View attachment 828938View attachment 828939

They look awesome! I still need to get you measurements... When I get home later, I'll grab them for you.

View attachment 828938View attachment 828939

I didn't bother putting the interior inside my Falcon, because then you can't really see it (access hatch not withstanding); I'm building it to display externally. I'd *love* to see corridor extensions made available to add to it without any of the squashing necessary to fit it inside.

They look awesome! I still need to get you measurements... When I get home later, I'll grab them for you.

Thank you! :)

I didn't bother putting the interior inside my Falcon, because then you can't really see it (access hatch not withstanding); I'm building it to display externally. I'd *love* to see corridor extensions made available to add to it without any of the squashing necessary to fit it inside.

Well, I've been maintaining two sets of models in parallel, which is part of the hassle. How would the interior work if not in the model, though? Would you build a box with an opening so you can look inside? Or have the thing sort of sit out there, like these exterior tubes? The latter would make it more difficult to light, since the areas for sticking fibre optics, LEDs, etc., would be exposed.

Screen Shot 2018-07-06 at 19.55.10.jpg

Note: I know that the specific locations of the cushion tubes on the corridor walls are out by a few degrees. Trying to decide if anyone will notice and if I should bother fixing it. :)

Last edited:
If I built that up and lit it, I'd probably put a second skin of styrene on top of the wiring to hide it. Make it look like the Falcon's exterior plating.

Note: I know that the specific locations of the cushion tubes on the corridor walls are out by a few degrees. Trying to decide if anyone will notice and if I should bother fixing it. :)

Everything about the Falcon is a cheat, so I think you can be off by a significant number of degrees and it will still look "right." In fact, I think you can make the curved corridors much shorter because once the hold is installed and the hull in place, it's almost impossible to see that deep into the corridors.

I think you can make the curved corridors much shorter because once the hold is installed and the hull in place, it's almost impossible to see that deep into the corridors.

Yes, I designed the parts for the Lando Falcon model with a lot of cutouts for areas you can't see anyway. I don't have the dimensions of the saucer jawbox opening, so I've had to estimate the visible area, but it's obviously really limited. It's more if I were to do a version that would be for standalone use.

Umm ... I just noticed something on @monsterpartyhat ‘s post #77 . The 3rd image down in particular , of the two Falcon models together .
If it’s been discussed and explained away beforehand , I apologise for bringing it up again now .

I understand the cosmetic panelling being removed from the ‘ Lando ‘ Falcon , results with the Falcons look we’re most used to , but why does it appear that the exposed circular maintenance pit on the Lando version mandible , was cut out and repositioned on the post damaged Falcon ?
Afterall , the other pits on the earlier incarnation seem to remain underneath and in approximately the same areas afterward !?

:cheersGed

They're in exactly the same place -- it only looks like they're not because the mandibles of Lando's Falcon are both wider (on the outside *and* the inside) and longer than the mandibles of Han's Falcon. The mandibles we all know so well are encased inside an additional layer of stuff. You can see the tips of the ANH Falcon mandibles in the notch at the front of the Lando Falcon mandibles.

If you overlay the two kits, the maintenance pit is in exactly the same place relative to the center of the ship.

Looking good. :) What base colour did you use?

Thanks! Tamiya AS-20.

I see what you’re saying now .
The exposed circular pit on Lando’s Falcon is actually the closest exposed one to the jaw box on the hunk of junk we love !

Thanks for sharing that mate , much appreciated .

:cheersGed

For those who missed this on Facebook:

https://www.pronews.jp/column/20180706152948.html

There are a couple of possible translation issues, and he refers to the MPC model being used to test concepts in Solo, whereas I think it seems clear it was the Fine Molds 1:72 kit. But it's awesome to see screenshots of the in-between damaged Falcon as it appears in Maya, the modelling program!
Thanks for that link- I love the stripped down falcon and it is great to see some good images of it.
I wish Bandai would issue this edition as a kit!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back