Rocket's Nite-Finder NERF gun from GOTG2.

I posted this in its own thread but thought I would add it here too. Thanks for all the great finds guys...

View attachment 733105

View attachment 733108
The final step was the assembly and the scope which came today. Now I just need a few more greeblies for the part of above the top barrel and the piece coming out of the flashlight.

Now onto Rocket's other gun made from a Nerf Retaliator (which I also had a spare one of)

This is awesome seeing it come together. As Anubis said, you're the first one to do it properly.

In terms of complete accuracy though, I came to the conclusion earlier in the thread that the upper Maverick plunger is just the inner tube. As you can see in the screengrabs, it has a channel that goes the complete length of the tube, rather than a kind of fin? I did some measurements in PS and I'm almost certain that the upper tube is narrower which would account for this. This is not reflected in the Hot Toys version however. The upper Maverick plunger also has some kind of fin on the top which I haven't identified but wonder if something similar could be cut out of the Maverick tigger (that was my plan anyway).

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats! I think you're the first to do this "correctly."

Which $20 airsoft did you buy for the flashlight? I'm still waiting for the much more expensive order I placed for just the flashlight alone to ship.

Someone already bought a set of my Shapeways parts for the Retaliator. Was that you?

Has yours arrived from the UK yet? On the bright side, I think the one you ordered has the correct mount so the extra cost is going towards screen accuracy.

I can't thank you enough for your 3D models, I had been putting the Retaliator build on the backburner until we had better screenshots and could correctly ID the greeblies. Awesome work!

suttykins,

I thought the same thing about the inside plungers at first. In the photos one of them has a channel like the inside of the plungers the other has large strip. They definitely have the inner tubes inside an exterior tube. You can see the gap between the two where the inner tube is coming out. I have highlighted that in the green square. I agree it looks like it but the inner barrels have a grove around the outside for the o ring - which is not in the pictures.

I believed the channel you mentioned is actually added on to the exterior tubes. I added a polystyrene U channel piece to the side of the tube.. That would account for the shape it makes when it meets the nightfinder. That is in the red square

I also believe they used the exterior because of the small piece that connects the 2 tubes. which I solved by simply rotating the tubes until the 2 notches that are on both connected. That is in the yellow square.

1.png

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    195.8 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Has yours arrived from the UK yet? On the bright side, I think the one you ordered has the correct mount so the extra cost is going towards screen accuracy.

They issued a refund on Friday because they "don't ship to the US." (Then why was it an option on the order form?) I bought one of the UKArms SA80s off eBay, $35 shipped, already in the US, accurate mount on the light, and $10 cheaper total than paying to ship the UK one to the USA.

KHMountain also just cancelled my order for the Retaliator silencers, claiming insufficient stock. Now I have to decide if I want to use the slightly inaccurate plastic silencers I found or spring for the correct aluminum ones off eBay at $20 a piece. Ick.

I can't thank you enough for your 3D models, I had been putting the Retaliator build on the backburner until we had better screenshots and could correctly ID the greeblies. Awesome work!

Thanks. I'm glad you guys are using them.

suttykins,

I thought the same thing about the inside plungers at first. In the photos one of them has a channel like the inside of the plungers the other has large strip. They definitely have the inner tubes inside an exterior tube. You can see the gap between the two where the inner tube is coming out. I have highlighted that in the green square. I agree it looks like it but the inner barrels have a grove around the outside for the o ring - which is not in the pictures.

I believed the channel you mentioned is actually added on to the exterior tubes. I added a polystyrene U channel piece to the side of the tube.. That would account for the shape it makes when it meets the nightfinder. That is in the red square

I also believe they used the exterior because of the small piece that connects the 2 tubes. which I solved by simply rotating the tubes until the 2 notches that are on both connected. That is in the yellow square.

View attachment 733853

I think you might be right, although I don't like how U-channel looks. My plan is to cut material from the outer barrel to match the grooves underneath, then glue the top and bottom halves onto the inner plunger. That matches how the Hot Toys looks.

The Retaliator is tricky. I am right about where you are. I have it cut and I have the 3 barrel extensions done. But there is that piece on the front top where the top barrel attaches. I feel until we find it or a suitably stand in I am going to hold off.

The Retaliator is tricky. I am right about where you are. I have it cut and I have the 3 barrel extensions done. But there is that piece on the front top where the top barrel attaches. I feel until we find it or a suitably stand in I am going to hold off.

I see what looks like some styrene covering the top of the gun, presumably to cover the seams. Is that what you're talking abut?

suttykins,

View attachment 733853

Interesting... Thanks for the info.

I may need to wait until the Blu-ray for that one too. This is going to be a slow build for me as I want to get it as close to 100% as possible. :wacko

So I went out to find the barrel for the nite-shot.

Screenshot from that one video vs google image results (which have already been posted):
rocket_barrel.png vs m4_aeg_flash.jpg

Hey, that's pretty close! I wonder what it is? "All-Metal M4 AEG Flash Hider"
Well there's no way that the prop shop used a Nerf gun as a base and then used such nice
AEG parts for something as trite as a flash hider. Let's see what other airsoft M4 barrels exist...

Look at this one:
m4_barrel_cropped.jpg

Look Familiar? Look at the previous screenshot from the prop video and this sculpt:
rocket_statue_cropped.jpg

It's dead on. And who wants to bet that flash hider is threaded to fit the barrel?

Thread Type: -14mm Counter Clockwise (CCW)
- 14mm CCW threaded barrel compatible

Again, dead on.

I hereby nominate the following:
a) Barrel and flash hider are separate parts threaded together
b) The barrel is that of specifically an M4A1 Carbine, M16/AR15/M4-a-nothing barrels are all slightly wrong
c) Marvel spent more money on the barrel and flash hider than the rest of the gun combined apparently

(Please give me feedback on how my research is, I literally made my account 4 hours ago.)

Links:
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwo...censed_14_5_Inch_M4_Outer_Barrel_for_M4A1.htm
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/77-DBoys-Full-Metal-14mm-CCW-Flash-Hider-for-M4-AEGs-ACC-BI-M43.aspx

rocket_barrel.png

m4_aeg_flash.jpg

m4_barrel_cropped.jpg

rocket_statue_cropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^I have both the metal flash hider and barrel in question, and the plastic one @Sillhof used. After studying screen caps, I believe sillhof's barrel is the correct one. The metal flash hider has closely spaced slots around only half its diameter, while the plastic has slots arranged equally 90° apart around the while barrel. In screen caps, every angle of the gun shows one slot. Never two and never none. That matches the plastic barrel perfectly.

For anyone using the printed Retaliator backplate, FYI here's how I designed it to install.

Remove the black plunger cover off the back, and trim the plastic flush with the two screw holes found under the cover. Like so.

IMG_20170611_153608.jpg

The printed part replaces the trimmed material.

IMG_20170611_153623.jpg

Now that I have it in hand, the round protrusion should be about twice the high to be accurate. I'll update the model later.

Last edited by a moderator:
So for those of us who don't have the base guns on-hand:

On Amazon, the Nerf Retaliator is $25. There's also another Nerf gun that looks nearly identical save for an extra rail on the side called the Nerf Recon MK11. It's $10 cheaper because it doesn't include some of the extended barrel attachments and stocks that we, in theory, wouldn't need to build a proper replica. You may say "hey it's only $10", but that's an entire Shapeways part and I'd like to save everybody the $10 if we can.
Do y'all think that it's similar enough that if others were to remove the spare attachment rail it would work as a substitute?

41oRweYqepL._AC_US160_.jpg

Wiki Link:
http://nerf.wikia.com/wiki/Recon_MKII

The relevant part of the Reatailator is identical​ to the original Recon. I picked up my Recon body, minus the attachments, for $9 shipped off eBay.

The Recon Mark II looks like it would require to much modding to work. Every detail is slightly to majorly wrong.

Did you find out which barrel was the correct on for the night-finder?
Any chance of a parts list for the blasters?

I can write something up once both are built.

Multiple revisions, corrections, and mistakes later, I present...Rocket Blaster #1. Getting the barrels attached was a bitch. They're not quite correct but it's close enough. I can go into detail later. For now:

IMG_0972.JPGIMG_0968.JPGIMG_0967.JPGIMG_0965.JPGIMG_0971.JPGIMG_0970.JPG

Colors are are based on the CG model, with the Hot Toys and Chris Pratt prop video uses to fill in a few unclear areas.

1080p rips of the film are online. Here's the close-up of the physical props:

Screenshot_2017-08-10-15-37-01.jpg

This confirms the copper cone in the Nite-Finder's scope, as well as the U-channel on the sides of the top Maverick plunger.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back