Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull - 10 years later

Speaking of mothers...

When Indy and Marion kissed on the boat in Raiders, it was sweet. But when they kissed in CS, it was like watching your parents make out. Eeeew...

I think Mutt says "Daddy O" or something. Any time an actor that isn't in a film from the 50-60s says that, it sounds wrong.

Cliched/dated slang terms are like speaking in a heavy accent. Unknown faces can do it and sound fine. But it sounds "off" when it is coming from somebody you recognize from other roles without it, even when the deliver it really well.

I know it doesn't mean a lot, but my folks actually liked the 50's slang and references in KotCS. Of course, they were kids of the 50's. Also, Russians at that time were plenty scary to them.

My favorite section of the movie is Indy in Doomtown. I liked the contrast of Indy in the bright pastels of the 50's. It was jarring, but didn't bother me.

IMO, The entire Indiana Jones "chronicles" was a complete comedy-adventure. Was some acting better than the next? Sure. But there was humor and adventure in every one. The only problem I had with Crystal Skull, was just a bad plot.

If they just left the whole Aliens thing out of it, it would probably have been remembered with much higher regard. That decision is one of the few fails that can be attributed to the great Steven Spielberg.

I haven't watched Kingdom, but personally, the notion of surviving an improbable fall vs. surviving A NUCLEAR ****ING BOMB are different by orders of magnitude that my brain simply can't ignore.

Oh he didn't just survive the blast...the blast destroyed the house (and town) the fridge sat in, and LAUNCHED the fridge into the sky, all the way out of the blast zone, to land on a hillside overlooking the blast. Whereupon Indy got out...dusted himself off, and looked down upon the damage.

It was the kind of scene that Warner Brothers might have considered a bit comical for Wile E Coyote.

If they just left the whole Aliens thing out of it, it would probably have been remembered with much higher regard. That decision is one of the few fails that can be attributed to the great Steven Spielberg.
That's GL's baby. Steven's sin was finally giving into it. But George wasn't going to let it get made any other way.

'Raiders' centered on an ancient Jewish artifact in a room full of snakes that contained body-melting ghosts.

'Temple' centered on a cult leader, wearing a horned helmet, pulling beating hearts out of live human sacrifice victims, in a volcano.

'Crusade' searched for an ancient Christian cup, patiently guarded by a 900yo knight, that either heals gunshot wounds or ages you like a meth habit.

All are considered classics.

But alien artifacts? Oh, NOW the idea is too cheesy.

BTW: If you accepted Tony Stark's crash-landing escape from the terrorist cave without making a vocal complaint, then I think your forfeit most of your right to complain about Indy's nuked fridge.

Last edited:
The first three Mcguffins are truly magical. Humans connecting to the divine.

In Crystal Skull it looks like the same thing is happening, but it turns out they are not divine they are aliens. Magic has been exchanged for technology.

Also, I'm not sure two wholly different film universes can be directly compared in that way. Superhero movies are simply going to involve physical events that are extremely exaggerated. It's a staple of them.

The first three Mcguffins are truly magical. Humans connecting to the divine.

In Crystal Skull it looks like the same thing is happening, but it turns out they are not divine they are aliens. Magic has been exchanged for technology.

Meh. The new-age ancient aliens thing has more in common with a religion than not.

The other big world religions that the franchise has not done a movie around yet are Buddhism and Islam. They may have stayed away from those for political/commercial reasons.

Also, I'm not sure two wholly different film universes can be directly compared in that way. Superhero movies are simply going to involve physical events that are extremely exaggerated. It's a staple of them.

They are different universes but I don't think the Iron Man movies (independent of the rest of the Marvel comic world) are any farther from reality than Indy. That scene in Iron Man#1 happened in a context where it was pretty stupid-impossible, just like Indy's fridge. We excused it more readily when Tony Stark did it because we liked the movie better on the whole.

No you have to blame George for that , he had been ramming that script down Stevens AND Harrisons throat for years.

When the right amount of money was offered they both finally signed on, but hey thats what friends are for right?

Oh he didn't just survive the blast...the blast destroyed the house (and town) the fridge sat in, and LAUNCHED the fridge into the sky, all the way out of the blast zone, to land on a hillside overlooking the blast. Whereupon Indy got out...dusted himself off, and looked down upon the damage.

It was the kind of scene that Warner Brothers might have considered a bit comical for Wile E Coyote.

Indy survived due to the latent benefits of drinking from the grail. The seal was not the extent of its power.

The worst part of Crystal Skull was Shia LaBeouf and sadly Karen Allen.
It was as if she forgot how to play Marion and always had that creepy Joker smile.

I would have sworn it had SS written all over it but if that is the case, shame on George and thats something very hard for me to say.
Since the video has already been linked I'll quote it.
1.png

They are different universes but I don't think the Iron Man movies (independent of the rest of the Marvel comic world) are any farther from reality than Indy. That scene in Iron Man#1 happened in a context where it was pretty stupid-impossible, just like Indy's fridge. We excused it more readily when Tony Stark did it because we liked the movie better on the whole.
I've only seen Iron Man once but it's not just that scene, but practically every scene where a guy is flying and accelerating to supersonic speed in nothing but a metal suit is the same realm as a guy flying around in a fridge after a nuclear explosion. Same applies to the raft sequence in ToD I cringe a bit every time I see it. Same applies to the petroleum river in Last Crusade. or hundreds of years old snakes being nice and dandy in Raiders. And so on. I't s suspension of disbelief.
Crystal Skull is not problematic because of the fridge scene no matter how stupid it was. Same as the main issue with Phantom Menace is not the little boy and Jar-Jar, it's just a very obvious thing that people latch on because the real issues are more layered and need some more looking into.

hundreds of years old snakes being nice and dandy in Raiders.

Wait, are you implying that the snakes in the Well of the Souls were supposed to have been in there since the time of the Ark? I never interpreted it that way. I always just assumed since they were snakes, they found their way in there through small cracks or holes in the walls. Not improbable at all.

Wait, are you implying that the snakes in the Well of the Souls were supposed to have been in there since the time of the Ark? I never interpreted it that way. I always just assumed since they were snakes, they found their way in there through small cracks or holes in the walls. Not improbable at all.
Maybe, for me it was always part of the many traps that guard the treasure. I would still call having hundreds of snakes from all over the world shoaled up right next to the Ark quite improbable, but again, suspension of disbelief works in this case. The whole Indiana Jones series hinges on totally improbable, almost schlock-like tropes and masterfully crafting them to an enjoyable adventure.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back