Close Encounters 40th Anniv soundtrack question

SpaceCrawler

I have the Close Encounters soundtrack from a few years ago that was "expanded" or something (It's in my iTunes program so I don't have the jewel case in front of me so not sure who released it). But it contains 26 tracks and has the Special Edition end music rather than the original end music. The new 40th edition contains a 2nd disk but it seems some of the tracks listed have been previously released, according to the LA La Land website. http://lalalandrecords.com/Site/CloseEncounters.html
I'm wondering where were those tracks released before? Also does this 40th edition have the original end credits music or the Special Edition.
Thanks for any info.

Sean

From what I gather, the 40th edition has both. The Special Edition ending on disk 1 and the Original/Director's Cut ending on disk 2. I believe the soundtrack you have is the Collector's Edition. I have it too. On that version, they combined three tracks into one, The Visitors/Bye/End Titles.

I think you meant previous unreleased material. One of those tracks is from the Special Edition, "Inside", which features the inside of the mothership. I had the original LP and CD and none of those unreleased tracks were on them. Unless there was a different release at some point.

From what I gather, the 40th edition has both. The Special Edition ending on disk 1 and the Original/Director's Cut ending on disk 2. I believe the soundtrack you have is the Collector's Edition. I have it too. On that version, they combined three tracks into one, The Visitors/Bye/End Titles.

I think you meant previous unreleased material. One of those tracks is from the Special Edition, "Inside", which features the inside of the mothership. I had the original LP and CD and none of those unreleased tracks were on them. Unless there was a different release at some point.

I'm not sure what you're referring to regarding unreleased vs released. When I said "The new 40th edition contains a 2nd disk but it seems some of the tracks listed have been previously released, according to the LA La Land website" I meant previously released- the Lalaland website shows a • or •• next to the title of a song that hasn't been released (or that contains previously unreleased material). Several of the tracks on the 2nd disk have neither that dot nor the double dot, so I'm wondering where and when those tracks were released. Also some of the tracks on the 1st CD aren't on my 26 track release. I'm wondering if they combined tracks on my release.

Anyway- I also have the original LP, the disco 45, the 26 track CD I mentioned and I think a previous released CD that had fewer tracks. So I'm sort of burnt out buying CE3K soundtracks but I'd like all the music- it's a favorite Williams score.

Sean

Sorry, I thought you meant unreleased tracks by mistake. My mistake.

I see what you mean. Some of those previous released tracks were on the LP, but were edited down or combined with other edited tracks. And they're on the Collector's Edition, again combined with other tracks but unedited.

The few unreleased tracks on the 40th edition, like 'Inside', might make it worth getting. But I see where you're coming from. Is it worth getting it for a few extra tracks plus everything else I already have?

Wayne

Hey SpaceCrawler, I remembered this playing on the radio, when CE3K was released, but didn't know who made it until recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back