Death Star plans data card - zenix's build thread

Looks much thinner and bendeable than your R1 version.

Yeah, as that picture shows, the ANH version kinda looks like a plain sheet of some flexible material. The amount of bendability reminds me of theatrical lighting gels - such as they'd have had on the set - or the actual disc part inside an old floppy disc. But those are just my impressions - it might have been almost anything. Thin metal, maybe, or some kind of plastic sheet. It looks very dark, possibly black.

The white-with-gold-rings version in R1 is clearly a totally new design, despite supposedly being the same object. I like the new one better...not least because that ANH picture is about the clearest view we ever got of the old one. There wasn't really anything to make a replica of. A scrap of bendy dark stuff - so what? Nobody would know what it was. The new one clearly "is something". Best thing about the movie was to get this design pinned down at last! (The rest of the movie is cool too, but.)

This is cool! I think I need to make one of these in something like 18-16 gauge aluminum. I would like to see it and compare it. It really could be white, but it seems like it should be metal. Without stealing this excellent thread from Zenix, If there is enough interest in seeing aluminum ones, I would be willing place an order for some waterjet cut pieces.

Last edited:
Not sure if this will help but there is a video on ABC talking about the process they took in creating Tarkin and Leia. It includes a snapshot of Leia holding the plans.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/rogue-princess-leia-grand-moff-tarkin-created-44567006?

vlcsnap-2017-01-05-11h18m42s715.png

I think she is holding it upside-down (as to what we are considering top and bottom. So if true, it's not just a black bar.

Yeah, that guy was holding it by the "black bar", she took it from him, now we're seeing the back side, upside down. Apparently it's not just a black bar.
I'm really liking that view camera dark slide. The corners on the "bar" look just about right, and apparently that detail varies by brand, so there could be an even closer one. I'm not familiar with view cameras beyond the basic concept, but some quick googling suggests that these slides might come in EXACTLY the right size.

And...it wouldn't surprise me to see some old camera parts showing up on a Star Wars prop! This theory deserves further attention.

I hate to say it, but...

Don't underestimate the power of the DARK SLIDE.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back