Who makes the highest quality lightsabers?

Orbital Machine (Wat Tambor on FX-Sabers) does some of the best machining/hilt making currently... however I believe he does more RUNS and production parts than single sabers.\

VadersVault does GREAT custom hilts, high end, but usually canon type sabers.. (and their wait time might be long)

SaberForge,, like the visual designs.. but wouldnt purchase from him ever due to the feedback over the years (theft, no saber, wrong saber shipped, stealing of ideas/other works and other dodgy practices)

UltraSabers = never in a million+ years would they get MY money (product is below sub-par, and custom service matches their product)

TCSS (The Custom Saber Shop) is a great place!.. but not a 'turn key' store.. this is where you can configure your own sabers and get the parts.. like a one stop shop with hilt parts electronics...etc..etc)

plus they have an 'awesome' MHS (Modular Hilt System) builder to play with on line before buying parts:

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php < / shameless plug > :)

MadCow: From Genesis Custom Sabers is also a very top notch place to get hilts made.. artistic, can duel with them, truly works of art.

The sound board you put in it will mean a lot as well.. as far as adding value and the effects it will have...

IMHO (and many others) PlecterLabs products are hands down the top notch in the game. (and more or less a leader for others to follow)

There are several tiers/versions of soundboards available from them (The Crystal Focus (CF) being the top tier)

this not only gives you (customizable) sounds.. but also a slew of blade effects as well.

If you are looking for a replica/canon type hilt (Luke. Obi, Vader..etc)..

Perhaps try checking out LDM (Gen. Grevious on the fx-sabers forum).. as he and Orbital Machining had a run of pretty nice run of Luke/Obi hilts available.

I'm not sure I follow. Are you suggesting that a Roman's is not the best he can get for $1k? It's hands down the most accurate available, and the new FX parts allow electronics installs and blade anchors that have never really been possible before with an accurate Obi ANH ( @slothfurnace doesn't count--he's a wizard on a different plane)

<3

aw, shucks.

Roman's weathered kit is $481. You could get the rest of the parts required for around $200. Would it cost more than $300 for somebody to do a basic install (just to make it functioning with blade, light, and sound, no fancy crystal chamber or anything like that)?

The costs, risks and time would skyrocket with a build like this. Not for a first project I would say.

<3

aw, shucks.

Holy crap but there are some celebrities reading this thread. Would you do the OP a solid and set him up with a battle-ready Roman's for $300? :rolleyes

Last edited:
Okay, so then how much would it cost if somebody supplied an FX Obi saber and all of the parts to do a Nano Biscotte install?

I'm talking just labor. I wasn't aware that there was any machining or anything required to install electronics in the FX Obi kit from Roman. I thought that was the point of the FX kit. So I'm not sure what risk is really involved or how the cost would skyrocket. This would be extremely easy to wire up, it shouldn't take that long to do. Even if somebody charged you $500 (which seems pretty over the top to me based on how easy this is) to install that, that puts him at $1200 and he said he was willing to go over his budget. That would be a film accurate battle ready saber with a removable blade, would it not?

As he said, he is new to this, he may decide that he doesn't really need "all the bells and whistles" that he thinks he wants. Obviously, if he wanted to have more than 2 fonts in it at one time, lights under the bubble strip or something, flash on clash, color mixing, etc, that would start to jack up the price, but he would also be able to upgrade it in the future if he decided what he had wasn't enough.

Last edited:
We're not talking about a Force FX saber, but rather a fully machined set of replica parts completely accurate to the real deal, made ready to accept electronics.

Well then, by the power of the edit button...

1776235-poster01copy.jpg

Okay, so then how much would it cost if somebody supplied an FX Obi saber and all of the parts to do a Nano Biscotte install?

I'm talking just labor. I wasn't aware that there was any machining or anything required to install electronics in the FX Obi kit from Roman...

We're not talking about a Force FX saber, but rather a fully machined set of replica parts completely accurate to the real deal, made ready to accept electronics.

Well, even Roman had scottjua do his first one (of course he undoubtedly wanted the best):

If the OP can get or if pinousse will give him the files to 3D print the internals that would help:

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247397

You don't want to stuff everything in there and dump in hot glue. You still need to figure out how to activate it and where the sound will escape from. Also, where to place the recharge port and micro-usb port for the sound board... It'd be a hell of a first project... If I broke a piece of that hilt I'd freak :wacko

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with Roman's new version of the saber, with everything threading together, and the new emitter to fit 1" blades, the install is anything but "easy". I've done so many of them ranging from basic to full spring loaded reveals similar to sloth's (not as good naturally), and each one makes me pause and sigh. There's hours of work even for the "basic" version. Not to mention the chemical and weathering work. The internal, wiring just takes time, and custom chassis parts.

Even with Roman's new version of the saber, with everything threading together, and the new emitter to fit 1" blades, the install is anything but "easy". I've done so many of them ranging from basic to full spring loaded reveals similar to sloth's (not as good naturally), and each one makes me pause and sigh. There's hours of work even for the "basic" version. Not to mention the chemical and weathering work. The internal, wiring just takes time, and custom chassis parts.

If somebody sent you a weathered FX Obi kit, Nano Biscotte, LED, and battery (so around $600 in parts invested so far), didn't want additional weathering, how much would it cost to make it into a functioning saber?

If somebody sent you a weathered FX Obi kit, Nano Biscotte, LED, and battery (so around $600 in parts invested so far), didn't want additional weathering, how much would it cost to make it into a functioning saber?

You might want to send him a PM. I don't think we are supposed to talk commissions outside of the Project Runs section. I have been known to be wrong though... from time to time.

@ XxevolutionxX ... first ... welcome aboard ... as you may have gathered there are many options and possibilities ... looking at the many posts already made by some well respected members ... being new that may be quite overwhelming at first but they are only here so enthousiastically to enlighten and inform you so you'll make the wisest possible decision before spending those well earned $$$ on crap stuff online ... so I'll invite you to keep asking questions and inquire about taking further actions or searching reliable vendors :)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=247654

Chaim

I'm not commissioning anybody. We are discussing whether or not you could have an Obi Wan fx saber for around $1000 (+/- a little) and so far we're at $600 ish in parts. I only ask ScottJUA because I know he has done them numerous times and would consider him to be an expert on the subject.

So let's start over. I'll assume that I read your posts more condescendingly than you had intended for them to come across. I am just trying to figure out why, when Kevin Gossett suggested Roman's hilt, you essentially scoffed that the idea was laughable to even suggest.

I honestly don't know what a basic install costs. My frame of reference in electronics is working on wiring in guitars and guitar pedals. I can't think of anything that I would do that would cost you $600 to install for labor alone. I realize that these are two totally different animals, but the actual wiring itself isn't too far off from either of these things.

If $400-$600 really is unreasonable for just the labor and small parts, why? How long does this build take? Is it like 3-4 hours of is it 10-15 hours? What makes it take so long? Just trying to fit components in, or because even though it's MOSTLY ready for electronics, there is still machining required to make it work? Can it be done without additional machining but some more advanced builders prefer to do additional machining to make things easier on them? A 3D printed chassis shouldn't be that expensive. All of the small parts like resistors, switches, and wire are very cheap.

Again, I'm talking a basic NB, speaker, one switch, battery, recharge port, and LED build. I realize the OP said he wanted all of the bells and whistles, but again, he's new and may not actually need things like color mixing, FOC, lock up sounds, etc.

Sorry @LTsmash1200, totally wasn't trying to be condescending. I think we are all looking at this from our own perspectives with no further guidance from the OP (who seems to only have followed one of his other identical cross-posts).

With only the question of "What is the best lightsaber for $1k+/-", each of us formulated our own answer based on our opinions and experiences. We asked did he want custom? licensed? as close to screen used as possible? OT, PT? etc., etc. and got no response.

I was coming from my own noob perspective, with a few basic builds under my belt, that jumping into a top-shelf build would be horrific for a first project. You, on the other hand, have experience with electronics, so for you all that is necessary is parts cost. Access to wiring skills, 3D printer, drill press and lathe to customize the parts is no big deal. For me it would be a nightmare.

Can the OP get a battle-ready Roman's for $1K+/-? Maybe, depending on his level of expertise, luck and willingness to take risks. Without more info I think we're just arguing from different viewpoints.

Once again, sorry for the tone. Didn't mean to sound like a horse's-rump. :p

Any MR Luke ROTJ V2 Signature Edition owners here? Or maybe someone who knows - Did it come with two plaques like the ANH, or just the plaque with the signature?

I'm still kind of a newbie at the whole Lightsaber thing too, so I feel kind of bad giving my 2 cents with all the users who definitely know more than me. But there seems to have been a tangent about an Obi-Wan saber? But I didn't see OP mention wanting a specific character. I'm sorry if I missed something! I'm just posting with the idea that you want a totally custom saber.

I had a custom saber made for the custom Jedi I'm working on. I looked hard at both Saberforge and Ultrasabers but I really wasn't impressed with the options on either site. Some of the sabers didn't even feel "in universe" to me, they looked almost too sci-fi or "tacti-cool" if you know what I mean.

I started looking at http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/.

The custom saber shop actually allows you to build your own custom saber right in your browser, so I was able to style it exactly as I wanted it: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/mhsbuilder/mhsbuilder.php?tabid=38 You purchase everything piece-by-piece and they supply day blades which is important to me since it's for a costume!

However, there was still the matter of me being a total noobie and I know nothing of electronics and assembly! I turned to Saber Concepts, I only know him because he's where our local Revan bought his saber. I was able to show him my design and he was able to walk me through everything else I needed to buy, and he assembled it for under $100. (Keep in mind I did NOT get a sound card since I'm a costumer I didn't have a reason for one!) His facebook page is here: https://www.facebook.com/saberconcepts/?fref=ts

I can't tell you if my way of doing it was the best, because I only have a few Force FX (officially licenced) sabers and my friend's saberforge saber to compare it too. I CAN say that this saber is comparable to the official Force FX blades, with the benefit of getting a lightsaber of my own design with a removable day blade. I can also say that it is superior in terms of over-all quality compared to my friends saberforge blade. And it WON'T cost you your entire budget.

I hope this is helpful!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back