molotow liquid chrome pens and spray paints

The Klear Kote is made by Alclad. The coloring is alcohol based ink that I added to the Klear Kote, and it is not made by Alclad, it's made by Ranger.

Here's a pic:
https://i.imgur.com/SgrVqh2.jpg

The inks are from Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or Joann. They all sell them. They usually come three in a pack, about $10 per pack, but all of those places always have discount coupons available.

Here's the Hobby Lobby product page for the inks. There's several color choices, and there are more colors that aren't listed on that page. You can see much better what they look like there, because my bottles are old and have other colors of ink spilled on them.

What types of clear coat are you using, and does it dull the finish?

It's the above clear (and ink for the gold badge). The reflectivity is dulled, yes, but only a very small amount (barely perceptible as you spray it on). If you're going for an aluminum finish it's actually to your benefit given just how shiny the paint is on its own. Another of Zlurpo's posts shows some comparisons: https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=272691&p=4274724&viewfull=1#post4274724

Hey folks. Just found this thread while Googling solutions to the issue of varnishing over Molotow liquid chrome. I'm planning on using it for a garage kit I'm working on; the model won't be handled once it's done so I would leave the chrome unfinished, but due to the way the kit is constructed I can't spray the chrome last. I'll need to mask it, paint over parts of it, and apply a bit of wash to some lines and crevices. Already had a bit of experience with how fragile the Liquid Chrome is on its own, so I think some sort of sealant is going to be close to mandatory for what I'm working on.

Just wanted to say that you all have been a great resource. I've been doing plastic spoon paint tests with some of the varnishes I have on hand (so far so mediocre, though I still have a handful to try), but Alclad Klear Kote definitely sounds like something I'll be be looking into if nothing I've already got will do the job.

To add some actual value to the conversation, figured I'd share another positive result that I found during my Googling this evening. According to this YouTube video that came up in my search, Liquitex High Gloss Varnish may also be pretty successful at sealing the Molotow Liquid Chrome without dulling the reflectivity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fObz2XN2Njk Haven't tried it myself, but may give this a shot as well if the current tests don't pan out.

Oh and if I have any success testing the varnishes I currently have, I'll be back to let you all know.

Thanks to this thread, I bought a Molotow pen and a refill. It worked great on a 3D printed Blade Runner unicorn. You'd think it was really folded tinfoil. IMG_20180220_153755.jpg

Thanks to this thread, I bought a Molotow pen and a refill. It worked great on a 3D printed Blade Runner unicorn. You'd think it was really folded tinfoil.View attachment 800574

Bit off topic, but given that Gaff was always using found objects for his origami, my thinking is the unicorn isn't tinfoil, its the foil paper wrapper from a pack of cigarettes. When Deckard holds it up, it looks like the inside of the legs is white, though that could be a trick of the light.

Bit off topic, but given that Gaff was always using found objects for his origami, my thinking is the unicorn isn't tinfoil, its the foil paper wrapper from a pack of cigarettes. When Deckard holds it up, it looks like the inside of the legs is white, though that could be a trick of the light.

Actually, it is most likely actual silver origami paper. Origami paper is only silver on one side, so the legs are the reverse, non-silver, side of the paper due to the folding.

The foil paper on a pack of smokes is the same way, white on one side, silver on the other. I suspect that what they did in making the prop was to use silver origami paper, but narrative wise, it'd make more sense that it was from a pack of smokes, since every other origami he made was from what was handy at the moment.

I think you're right, but I thought it looked better all silver.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hello to all, I came across the site by doing some research to apply a colored varnish on molotow liquid chrome.

Following your tests I buy alclad klear koat and I put it with a brush and yellow translucent varnish is the result is not bad but not the one wanted for me, the reflection is not enough yet good, I can see me but it's still not super net.

I have an airbrush but also a problem .. actually I can not set the correct for the installation of klear koat have settings to recommend me?

I am currently testing another product that has nothing to do with varnish but that would have the same resistance to touch and multiple colors, I try the brushing the reflection of the molotow is better at the first stroke. eye that klear koat, the only problem is that this product is very thick and it does not work with the airbrush, see over time

sorry for my english I'm french and I'm using a translator

To contribute something as well - I went with the Alclad Klear Kote sealing, which indeed dulled it down a tiny bit, but just the right amount if you are after polished metal, rather then actual mirror chrome..
I weathered my model with oil-paint, which worked great with the Alclad K.K., the result is about the best I ever achieved for fake metal!
...now I need a convincing gold workflow!!!

2018-05-06 11.13.12_preview.jpeg2018-05-06 11.12.50_preview.jpeg

A couple tips that might come in handy:

Brushed aluminum:
For a realistic brushed aluminum look (as opposed to polished), matte down your base coat just a tad with 600 or 400 grit paper before you spray the chrome. Basically, you want to make scratches that kill some of the reflectiveness, while the area between the scratches will still be shiny and therefore mimic the effect of machine cutting tools on the metal.

Durable non-dulling clear:
For a very durable clear coat that doesn't kill the shine, use a 2-part urethane-based automotive clear coat. ("House of Kolor" does a good one called UC35.) I never had great results with the special Alclad clear- no matter what I did it would always start to feel tacky after handling for a while, as if it reacted to oils in the skin. The automotive is a bit more expensive, but airbrushes on GREAT and gives you a MUCH more durable finish since it was made for cars. Just make sure you clean the airbrush thoroughly afterward, because once it's hardened. (This method is also great if you want to do the real-metal-look weathering by spraying a water-based acrylic on top of the chrome, then chipping or rubbing away the acrylic with alcohol to reveal the metal underneath. You can also get a candy additive to tint your chrome gold, or any other color and have it look anodized and still be durable .

I

These Flash helmet golden wings were painted with the Molotow topped with Alclad clear + ink mentioned earlier in the thread.

Jay Garrick helmet build

And here's the entire helmet(built from an Eternal Armory kit):

Jay Garrick helmet build

I used Spaz-stix for the silver as I wanted a less reflective, slightly tarnished look -- it goes on much thinner than the Molotow, allowing variation in how much of the underlying black ABS shows through. Topcoated with Alclad clear to protect the paint (though for this piece, any natural wear would be fine).

Last edited:
This thread is making me want to strip down old metal-look projects and redo all of them. Incredible stuff, and great tips from the community.

Hi everyone !

I was wondering, since I don't have an airbrush, if any of you tried or thought about using something like the Preval Sprayer to spray on the Molotow Liquid Chrome?
271939.jpg

I'm an industrial design student and I need the perfect chrome finish for my shower model. The Liquid Chrome seems to be the right choice :)
But since I need to cover a large surface, the pens are not a solution for me and I don't really have the money to invest in a airbrush at the moment.
What do you think? Does it seems doable? How much can I paint with a 30ml refill?

Thanks in advance for the respond ! (sorry if there is some errors, I'm a Belgian french speaker)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back