Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Post-release)

What did you think of Star Wars: The Last Jedi?

• It was great. Loved it. Don't miss it at the theaters.

Votes: 154 26.6%
  • It was good. Liked it very much. Worth the theater visit.

Votes: 135 23.4%
  • It was okay. Not too pleased with it. Could watch it at the cinema once or wait for home video.

Votes: 117 20.2%
  • It was disappointing. Watch it on home video instead.

Votes: 70 12.1%
  • It was bad. Don't waste your time with it.

Votes: 102 17.6%

• Total voters
That's kind of exactly the point. I don't disagree that her proficiency is fast. However, I can also accept implied stretches of time in the narrative that you apparently don't... and that's fine. The structure *IS* vague enough to open to a lot of interpretation. Except, I also accept that the entire premise is that the Force is doing something unexpected and beyond even Luke's comprehension. He literally said that the only time he has seen raw power as strong as Rey's was... Kylo.

And what's been holding Kylo back? His staunch refusal to give up his emotional turmoil. He's basically standing in his own way by believing he has to live up to some legacy and resenting his parents for wanting to protect him from that.

I find the fact that Rey doesn't come from any important family a better testament of the Force than had she some well-known heritage. I mean, if the strongest abilities keep landing within the same small sets of families, that doesn't really speak very highly of the Force... the Skywalker's, for example, haven't exactly had the best track record.

I've given good specific reasons for not accepting a long stretch of time has passed. Reasons which you are glossing over and failing to address. While your belief in a long stretch of time is based on "We don't know."

I'll expand on one of them here....
Kylo's bandaged face wound is a good indicator. Real life Humans can heal a 1cm deep cut in 1-2 weeks. Then you add in the existence of Bacta in the SW universe which speeds healing. Based solely on that I'll say two weeks tops and I think that's being generous.

Luke's actions in the OT redeem the Skywalker family.

A little more on the box office and China from CNN.

Despite the middling box office figures, "The Last Jedi" was still the top Western film in China over the weekend, which Disney said helped it pass the $1.2 billion mark worldwide.

It is also now the sixth-biggest U.S. film release of all time, according to the company.

"Any movie that enters the $1 billion club globally like 'The Last Jedi' is a smash hit no matter how you look at it," said Dergarabedian.

"But China.... is always extremely important to any movie's success, and so breaking big there is a very important goal that all studios try to reach."

It doesn't just feel accelerated. She dives into Kylo's mind and pulls out a specific fact. That's like what the Jedi masters do to kid-Anakin. They literally read his thoughts "Your thoughts are with your mother" etc. So she is demonstrating something that highly advanced force users do. And it's her first go at it. Same with her using Force-persuasion. And it's canon that 3 years past between ANH and ESB. Luke couldn't lift the X-Wing, but Rey can lift multiple giant rocks and maneuver them all with ease. It does not feel earned, not in the slightest.

The whole rock scene was a terrible attempt to complete the very stupid "its not about lifting rocks" dialog.

I have no problem with her weapon proficiency. They actually should have had her use a lightsaber to carve a tunnel in the rocks. At least that would be in line with her abilities and what we see on screen, since she chops that rock right in half with one.

That right there would have made alot more sense.

Luke uses blasters in ANH. And he had 3 years between ANH and ESB to train his force abilities and practice with a lightsaber. According to ''SW: The Essential Atlas" it took weeks for the Falcon to get from Hoth to Bespin. So, Luke likely was training with Yoda for weeks. The book is technically no longer canon, but this has also been corroborated with the "Star Wars in 100 Scenes", which is current Disney canon.

Rey's progress just doesn't fit in with what we know about the force and how long it takes to cultivate these kinds of abilities. Why is "nobody" Rey better at using the force, and quicker at using it, than the family of a force-messiah? I won't call it a deal-breaker, but it certainly makes Rey look like the Mary-Sue that people want to accuse her of being.

Ep IX will be 3 days later, and Rey will have Force Lightning and just start zapping people..,:lol:facepalm

One of the defenses against all the quick powers and the Mary Sue accusations last time was well.. we don't know who she is related to yet. Wait for the next movie to explain.

Here's the thing.

As soon as TFA was announced as having the old actors in it, you should have realized that "happily ever after" wasn't in the cards for any of 'em. If you read your kid a fairytale bedtime story that ends with "happily ever after," and your kid says "And then what happened, Daddy?" what do you tell them? Because the truth, ultimately, is "they got old and died." Not very happy.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I knew that at least one of them was gonna die as soon as the casting was announced. At that point, once I knew that the new films would pick up 30-ish years after the old ones, I knew it was time to make peace with the notion that our heroes would be broken in one sense or another.

I believe you misread my post. I have no problems with putting a limit on the time period associated with ROTJ's "happy ever after ending" and continuing the story by having new challenges and struggles for our heroes. No problems whatsoever. But why not allow them to face these new challenges as themselves, instead of alternate versions of their characters?

When they made Crystal Skull, I had problems with the story. But at least Indy was Indy. Yes, older, slower, but HE WAS STILL INDY. Luke doesn't act like Luke. Han was a washed up shell of a man.

Secondly, I have zero problems with any of the main characters dying. I only regret them doing so in this case because they're dying after their characters were handled so badly, and the deaths mean this can't be corrected in an upcoming episode.

One of the defenses against all the quick powers and the Mary Sue accusations last time was well.. we don't know who she is related to yet. Wait for the next movie to explain.

The only relevant defense against the Mary Sue accusations is.... she's not.

I've given good specific reasons for not accepting a long stretch of time has passed. Reasons which you are glossing over and failing to address.

Dude, I've literally agreed with you that her proficiency is accelerated. I'm willing to accept a little more time passage than you are... I never said it was "long" period of delay between the manifestation of powers and what we see her doing toward the end of TLJ.

I'm *ALSO* willing to accept what we've been literally told in the films: that the Force is now behaving in an unexpected way and growing in people stronger than it has in the past. Then there's also the fact that Rey grew up in an environment that taught her to fight, to be creative in finding and repairing things, and to use her mind and body in ways that made her very receptive to whatever it is the Force is expanding to now.

Liuke was a moisture farmer who blew up the Death Star.

Rey was a scrappy survivor with combat skills who... battled to a draw with a dude who had a hole in his stomach.

Even so, are there things in the new movies that can be picked apart if looked at closely? Sure. Just as those same things can be justified by an alternative argument. That's pretty much been the par for the course for all of Star Wars.

I mean, we've had almost 40 years to accept just how out of left field it was for Luke to use telekinesis to pull the Lightsaber out of the snow. How did he even know the Force could do this given that absolutely nothing in A New Hope suggested that this was a thing? The glossed over excuse is that 3 years had passed between ANH and Empire, so he learned things in that time... OK. Still, how did he figure out that was a thing he could do? And if the Force is so strong within the Skywalkers, why does he seem to struggle with it so much? If 3 years had passed, why did Obi Wan wait until mere moments before Luke might actually freeze to death to first appear to him and tell him about Yoda? Wouldn't it have been better for Luke to have been training with Yoda these past 3 years before "too old is he..."?

But, you know.... it's the "holy" Original Trilogy, so we're not allowed to apply critical thinking to all of it's weird plot holes and idiosyncrasies.

I thought TLJ explained Rey fine, but I was always hoping for a little more depth to her story. I don't subscribe to the theory of Rey as a Mary Sue. I thought that the force had manifested in her as being one of the most powerful Jedi ever. She has more raw power than Luke ever did yet we seem to be comparing her power/ascent to the ascent of lukes power and training. Maybe if luke was as powerful we would have seen him do what Rey has done earlier in the OT. So I think this subject is something that is pretty much wrapped up and won't be addressed at all in e9.
I have many issues with this movie but Rey is not one of them. However, im still in the camp of where for me, this movie is possibly teetering on the beginning of the end for star wars. But I'm still emotionally charged so this changes day to day.

Last edited:
I believe you misread my post. I have no problems with putting a limit on the time period associated with ROTJ's "happy ever after ending" and continuing the story by having new challenges and struggles for our heroes. No problems whatsoever. But why not allow them to face these new challenges as themselves, instead of alternate versions of their characters?

When they made Crystal Skull, I had problems with the story. But at least Indy was Indy. Yes, older, slower, but HE WAS STILL INDY. Luke doesn't act like Luke. Han was a washed up shell of a man.

Secondly, I have zero problems with any of the main characters dying. I only regret them doing so in this case because they're dying after their characters were handled so badly, and the deaths mean this can't be corrected in an upcoming episode.

To me Luke’s actions were entirely in character. In the OT Ben and Yoda were convinced Luke needed to kill Vader and the Emperor. They brooked no argument or consideration for redemption like Luke did. We could easily say they were both acting contrary to their characters but we excepted they were flawed and Luke was right. Now we learn in the ST Luke made the same mistake with Kylo, for the briefest moment he felt killing Kylo was the only answer just like Yoda and Ben. Unlike those two, he knew it was wrong because he saved his father and it was his mandate to try again. Only it was already too late.

To me Luke’s actions were entirely in character. In the OT Ben and Yoda were convinced Luke needed to kill Vader and the Emperor. They brooked no argument or consideration for redemption like Luke did. We could easily say they were both acting contrary to their characters but we excepted they were flawed and Luke was right. Now we learn in the ST Luke made the same mistake with Kylo, for the briefest moment he felt killing Kylo was the only answer just like Yoda and Ben. Unlike those two, he knew it was wrong because he saved his father and it was his mandate to try again. Only it was already too late.
I read a comment that Luke may be suffering from PTSD, I think that might be something to consider as well. What happened with Ben was definitely a turning point for him and it's unfortunate he didn't go out to correct what had happened until... until, well - the ending of TLJ. Is it out of character for Luke? I didn't create the character - I just grew up with him like many of us here did - we don't know the complete story of what happened up until the Ben incident and what happened after.

Yes - I wish Luke would have gone after and saved the galaxy. But, you can't always get what you want. We can't expect the warrior from one generation to always go out and battle for the next.

SImilarly with Han, Han was doing what Han does - smuggling/pirating. Like many, I wanted to see him and Leia enjoying their grandchildren and looking after those that new ruled the galaxy... marriages end. Families get torn apart. Maybe especially so when they are the heirs of Darth Vader.

All of our OT heroes returned to their roots. Luke was isolated and alone. Han was out being a space smuggling pirate. Leia was a diplomat that helped build a Rebellion. I hope somewhere in that lost 30 years or so they had their peace, they had their happiness. But, this is Star Wars, not Star Peaceful Time for the Galaxy.

Im just having a brain fart here, mind crash, but. Taking things literally, I dont remember Yoda or Ben telling Luke he had to kill anyone. I remember them telling Luke, he had face him, but dont remember, kill him.

Both Yoda and Ben wanted the Emperor gone, and wanted Luke to face Vadar. I just dont remember them telling Luke to go out and kill.

I think thats why Luke (very briefly) going out to "kill" Kylo, threw me off.

Im just having a brain fart here, mind crash, but. Taking things literally, I dont remember Yoda or Ben telling Luke he had to kill anyone. I remember them telling Luke, he had face him, but dont remember, kill him.

Both Yoda and Ben wanted the Emperor gone, and wanted Luke to face Vadar. I just dont remember them telling Luke to go out and kill.

I think thats why Luke (very briefly) going out to "kill" Kylo, threw me off.

Luke told Ben he couldn’t kill his own father and Ben responded “Then the Emperor has already won.” As far as Luke was concerned that’s what was being asked of him.

Luke told Ben he couldn’t kill his own father and Ben responded “Then the Emperor has already won.” As far as Luke was concerned that’s what was being asked of him.

I know that part well.

"You must face Darth Vadar again"

If you watch it again, look at Ben's body language after Luke says "I cant kill my own father". It was almost frustration like, "thats not what I told you kid". The fact that Ben again uses the word "face" and not "kill". And Luke's use of the word "kill": Shows me that Luke is capable of killing, just that fact he even uses such a definitive word. And shows me that both Ben and Yoda were not the killing type.

I know im probably not making much sense. And this is off topic, my apologies

So, here's the thing. I think that the behavior of the characters fits...if you accept the preceding events in their lives and what that would do to them. The tragedy of Ben's fall to the Dark Side is what destroys the characters. This boy who was loved but misserved by his family basically destroyed that family, as each member failed him. His father was absent. His mother sent him away to an uncle who tried to kill him (from his perspective).

Now take each of those characters and spin out what would happen. Each blames themselves and retreats from aspects of their former selves. Luke shuts down the academy, travels to Ach-To, realizes that the Jedi and Sith have been at this same game for 100s of years, and resolves to end it all there, cut off from the galaxy. He views his own failure as the reason for the current state of the galaxy, and thinks the best thing he can do for everyone is to just live out his days on the island until he dies.

Han goes back to the life he knew as a smuggler, because it's familiar. It's comfortable. It may not make him truly happy, but it doesn't make him sad the way being around Leia would. Maybe he blamed Leia for sending Ben away to train, maybe he blamed himself for not stopping it. Maybe it's a mix. Either way, he's back on his own, doing his smuggler thing. Chewie goes with him because of the life debt.

Leia retreats to her world of politics, perhaps believing that's the only thing she's really good at. But she's no longer a princess. Now she's a general. She's THE general. But "The General" is a mask for her. It's a role, and she hides behind it. She's not Leia. She's The General. Or General Organa, I suppose.

The thing to remember is that all of this is because of a family tragedy involving Ben -- Luke's nephew, Han and Leia's son. Ben's fall broke them utterly. And what we see in TFA/TLJ is where they are after (6? 7? Not sure) years of living with being broken.

Now, it's true, we could've had those characters not change all that much. They could've been basically just older/wiser versions of their ROTJ selves, doing basically the same thing, but facing new crises. I think that would've been....fine. It would've been familiar and comforting, but also it wouldn't have been all that interesting. And I actually think it sets up some real complications for writing the story going forward.

If we're to assume that the main characters from the OT are basically just older/wiser versions of themselves, that would suggest that they hadn't had anything particularly bad happen to them, which in turn would suggest that the First Order was basically unknown. Probably also that there is an entire new generation of Jedi Knights trained by Luke, so figure at least another 10-30 people with Jedi powers at this point. Which in turn raises the question of how they get defeated, how the First Order comes to pose such a threat, etc. You could tell a story about that, with the First Order basically representing an invading force that threatens the New Republic, but now you're getting pretty close to EU territory. Not awful, but basically just more of the same.

Again, I think that would've been...you know, fine. Not objectionable. But it might also have played out like big budget fan fiction. TFA already was accused of playing like that. TLJ goes in a radically different direction, I think, and ultimately, it's one that I enjoy because I don't know what's going to happen next. I can guess, sure, but given what happened with TLJ, I have no idea.

I thought with TLJ that Luke's chat about balance between dark and light would lead to "Grey Jedi" of sorts. I was wrong. I thought Rey would be revealed as having some complicated backstory to her parentage (e.g., Kenobi's secret granddaughter). I was wrong. (Well, so far. JJ could retcon Kylo's big reveal, but I don't think he will.) I'm glad for that. I like that the film surprised me, because it means that there's still stories to tell in this universe where I can't guess the ending just through being steeped in the pre-existing material from the universe.

Basically, I think there's two schools of thought about this. Some people really enjoy having a familiar story be told. One where they know how it's gonna play out, where there's a degree of certainty and familiarity. I enjoy that kind of entertainment. (I mean, come on, I'm a Stargate SG-1 fan, and I've been digging Supernatural, now that I'm getting into it.) I enjoy the "mind meld" I get with these kinds of entertainment where I can guess the next line from a character because I just "get" the writers and their voice. That's fun for me. And I think it's fun for other folks, too, probably. I want "new" entertainment, but I want it in a familiar, somewhat predictable form. Show me who the monster is this week, and let me watch the story play out. Maybe throw one or two curve balls, but otherwise, stick to the formula. I don't think any of that is bad. BUT I do think it has a limited appeal. Shows like that tend to either require major "resets" or end up feeling like they're doing the same thing over and over again, or they just "embiggen" what came before. So, ok, Apophis is dead, but now we have ANUBIS! OH NOES!!! And then he's dead and we have...uh....NEW even MORE powerful faux gods! It's still fun, but it's ultimately unsustainable.

The other school of thought is where you try to identify what is truly the soul of your work, and retain...only that. And you're otherwise willing to destroy the layers of expectation that fans have built upon that soul, in order to keep things fresh and interesting. You make your work unpredictable, but you do it in a way that retains the core of what your story is about. Not necessarily whom it is about, but what it is about. What the messages are, what the core beliefs are, and that's what you focus on. I think TLJ did that. But I also think that after 40 years of Star Wars in pop culture, there's a LOT that's been layered overtop the soul of the work, to the point where many people take that layered material and treat it as the soul. I'm sympathetic to that view, although I don't agree with it personally.

From a business perspective, I think if you really want to build a franchise, and one that will last a long time, possibly for multiple generations, you have to take the latter approach. The former ends up with diminished returns, and as the soul is lost (especially in favor of the layered stuff), the franchise becomes unrecognizable.

I think if you took a hardcore Star Trek fan from the 1960s/70s, before there was anything other than TOS, and showed them JJ Trek or any of the nuTrek movies...they would find the new material barely recognizable. Not just because of the f/x and the pacing, but because the soul of Trek is just...gone, I think. It's fundamentally about something else now. It's no longer exploration and wonder and discovery. It's about something else. That something else isn't necessarily bad, but it's not the soul of what made Trek what it was.

I think TLJ retains the soul of Star Wars, which is about the struggle between good and evil, the heroism of the every(wo)man, all tinged with a vaguely Eastern-philosophy-influenced version of mysticism. Obviously, you still need the trappings of the series (lightsabres, blasters, space combat that plays out like WWII naval/aerial engagements), but the core of Star Wars is about the above.

Now, the really interesting thing that may happen to the franchise is that we might get a divergence where the saga films become all about the "soul" of Star Wars as I've identified it, whereas the "story" films are allowed to deviate from that and focus on other stuff, but all occurring within the settings of the Star Wars universe. That, I think, would give us the best of both worlds. We'll see how it plays out.

Might be because it wasn't aimed at you or anyone specific. Just that in general, why bring something unrelated to the table. Like the all fem-ghostbusters. Being women had nothing to do with the film being sucky. Had they cast random male cast it would still have been equally bad. TLJ wouldn't be better or worse no matter the % of women/men in the cast. Again not aimed at you ;)

Only thing aimed at you were the STUPID correction of "your", which is an extremely common error.

Gotcha, no problem.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back