Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

I'm not as bothered by this retcon as I am the way rogue one negates the death star that we see at the end of ROTS

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I don't think it negates it. In ROTS we see the frame of the laser dish, but I can accept that we don's see the final installation of the dish itself until Rogue One. Plus, Krennic does mention "setbacks" as the reason he needs Gaylen Urso, so it provides the head canon needed to explain the long construction schedule (for the most part). In fact, one would think a project of that size would need decades to complete. It all works for me.

Scotchlite is designed to reflect light back from a light source. I don’t see how it’d work if the light source is at 90 degrees to the material. But I’ve never tried it.

Right. Scotchlite reflects back near-directly to the source. Off-axis reflections drop off very, very quickly. That's why road markings reflect from your car's headlights back to the car. Any viewing angle other than near-coincidental, and you can't see the return reflection at all.

Good point. Didn't think about the angle of the light source. Oh well.

Electroluminescent material has a ton of cool (literally) advantages for models. It can be incredibly thin and flat (EL tape and EL panels), which is completely perfect for backlighting control panels. It doesn't produce any heat, and draws very little power.

It has some drawbacks, two of which are why I'm not going to use it in my Falcon. The inverter packs are a bit bulky and definitely audible, which means you can't use them in very small models. But the reason I dislike them is because white EL materials produce a slightly strange and eerie pale blue glow (unlike LEDs you can't get EL material that accurately simulates tungsten light yet, or at least I have yet to see it), and because they have a relatively short lifespan. As they age they start to drop in light output. That time period is in the thousands of hours, but I just don't like the idea of sealing material like that in a model.

If those two issues don't bother you, EL tape is fantastic for your Falcon panelry!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.adafruit.com/product/416

One other thing - cutting EL panels is possible, but really fiddly. Especially resoldering wires. Maybe this is why it’s so rare seeing EL material used in model making, despite its obvious advantages. I have seen photos of Falcons where people have installed EL sheets in their cockpits and to make corridor underfloor lighting, though.

I bought EL sheets years ago for my FineMolds 1/72 cockpit,.....I scrapped the idea,....first of all, the sheets were pink, so in the cockpit with the panels switched off, it looked rubbish.

When lit,....it looked ok in photos, but not bright enough to my eyes & with the knowledge that EL looses luminosity over time,.....it was an instant decision not to use it

J

The piece was designed to be glued, but may also be screwed depending on the material in which it was printed.
It is by no means a "snap-fit."

If trimming does the trick, then it might be OK, but mine didn't require any trimming or filing to fit in. It wasn't all that tight either. As I said, it was designed to be glued.

Thanks for doing these brackets.
Minor modifications but it worked out great!
8fc50e3f8959d2ef9cb1bfbc45addfda.jpg

c8c334a9af24c5fb3023470bea5fbc0c.jpg
ea58e4a4fd45803a3592ff46e76c84df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I love my PG falcon, in all it's 5 footer glory, I wouldn't mind a "perfect grade" 1/72 falcon based off of the 32 incher. If you haven't seen this build, it's one of the best I've ever seen - he takes the fine molds falcon and heavily reworks it so that it is accurate to the 32 incher https://www.flickr.com/photos/toromodel/sets/72157633221939370/page1 I guess you can never have too many falcons

Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

What do you guys think of using aluminum black on the photo etched grills?

I just figure it maintains the metallic texture while darkening the metal.

Yay or nay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I love my PG falcon, in all it's 5 footer glory, I wouldn't mind a "perfect grade" 1/72 falcon based off of the 32 incher. If you haven't seen this build, it's one of the best I've ever seen - he takes the fine molds falcon and heavily reworks it so that it is accurate to the 32 incher https://www.flickr.com/photos/toromodel/sets/72157633221939370/page1 I guess you can never have too many falcons

Wow. That's just nuts!

If you haven't seen this build, it's one of the best I've ever seen - he takes the fine molds falcon and heavily reworks it so that it is accurate to the 32 incher

Man. I dunno. I mean full respect for such dedication and such an incredible amount of precision craftspersonship. But all the work and the saucer angles are still wrong. Wouldn't it be better to build something from scratch at that point?

Man. I dunno. I mean full respect for such dedication and such an incredible amount of precision craftspersonship. But all the work and the saucer angles are still wrong. Wouldn't it be better to build something from scratch at that point?

I'll confess, I thought the same thing. His scratchbuilding skills are way superior to mine, but... the jawbox is still too tall, the hull curvature is still too flat (even for the 32"), the sidewalls too tall. The glory and pitfall of Falcon modeling is that proportions are SOOOOO important, for both versions. That's what's so refreshing about the Bandai. It's proportions are so pleasingly right. Speaking for myself, I'd rather get some details wrong as long as I get the fundamental proportions right.

I'm the same way. Although both are important to me, I can let some detail slide as long as the proportions and shape are correct.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you can definitely make this argument, but I think it all comes down to preference. I see people's de agostini builds where they might change something little here or there to make it resemble the five footer, or they do a paint job not faithful to the filming miniature, and I think in my head, "Why? You paid for a prop replica of the falcon and you are purposefully making it different than that prop!" And it is not that model makers care about accurate millennium falcon models, but that a small sect of model makers care about accurate millennium falcon models. The main thing I take away from this guy is that his work is inspiring. He may just be a "details" kind of guy, or perhaps he didn't even think that the overall proportions might be incorrect. And to me personally, even if some of the proportions may be wrong, I don't think they look bad at all on this particular model. So maybe I'm a "details" kind of guy too?

The main thing I take away from this guy is that his work is inspiring. He may just be a "details" kind of guy, or perhaps he didn't even think that the overall proportions might be incorrect. And to me personally, even if some of the proportions may be wrong, I don't think they look bad at all on this particular model. So maybe I'm a "details" kind of guy too?

And we're all our own scoundrels too. Some of us (well, me at least) will personalise the Falcon a little to our own taste, the same as Solo did when he won the Falcon off Lando.

Like you say Joe some of us, like myself too, are details guys and while I like the proportions and details better on the 5' Falcon I only have the room and finance for the 32".

I will eventually get the PG Bandai MF but I really like the structural aesthetics of the Deago framework and spreading the cost over subscription issues so I'm moding the Deago as much as i can to resemble the 5'er (ANH version), with the added option of fitting it out eventually with a full interior.

I think you can definitely make this argument, but I think it all comes down to preference.

No, that's fair enough. I always say people should do whatever the hell they want with their models, though sometimes it's hard not to react in a "I wouldn't have done that!" sort of way.

At the moment I'm sort of thinking of taking a "do everything in as screen-accurate and stupidly anal a way as remotely possible" for the PG Falcon, since it is so accurate. And then goof around and do whatever fun stuff on the DeAgo Falcon, if I ever get around to finishing that one, since it's not that brilliant. Just big! :)

I think you can definitely make this argument, but I think it all comes down to preference. I see people's de agostini builds where they might change something little here or there to make it resemble the five footer, or they do a paint job not faithful to the filming miniature, and I think in my head, "Why? You paid for a prop replica of the falcon and you are purposefully making it different than that prop!" And it is not that model makers care about accurate millennium falcon models, but that a small sect of model makers care about accurate millennium falcon models. The main thing I take away from this guy is that his work is inspiring. He may just be a "details" kind of guy, or perhaps he didn't even think that the overall proportions might be incorrect. And to me personally, even if some of the proportions may be wrong, I don't think they look bad at all on this particular model. So maybe I'm a "details" kind of guy too?

This guy did these mods a few years ago when it was generally accepted that the FineMolds model was the best available,....at that time folks were fixing the most obvious flaw with the kit,....the mandibles & jaws

What this builder undertook is truly inspirational & his kit turned out fantastic......but time has passed,...we now have DeAgostini & Bandai,....& files and accurate measurements by guys like Joshua Maruska.....now we can see that there were more unbelievable flaws with the dimensions that FineMolds came up with for their 1/72 & 1/144 kits

J

I notice that 308 bits has some cockpit parts up now.

Anyone try them yet?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

What do you guys think of using aluminum black on the photo etched grills?

I just figure it maintains the metallic texture while darkening the metal.

Yay or nay?

I can't see what this would buy you. What metallic texture? I think paint would probably give the same result?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back