Bandai 1/72 PG Millennium Falcon (also the Revell Germany rebox)

Re: Bandai 1/72 Millennium Falcon

A workaround to using thick plastic is to simply utilize the kit's translucent plastic, which shall make the light readily diffused before it hits the "milk glass."

Another way is to use multiple layers of thin sheets, preferably with some space in between them for efficient diffusion.

That brings up a question: has anyone replaced the Bandai LEDs with brighter versions and used the kit's diffusers? How much brightness can we pump out of that system?

I filed off the front of the set cockpit and replaced it with something that resembles the ANH front console. Not as detailed as 3D printing could make it, but I don't think it looks out of place.

20171221_224641[22391] (2).jpg

I'm also almost done with my modifications. I added magnets to the rear engine deck so that it never falls off, made a studio model cockpit interior that can be swapped out with the set interior, did lots of dremeling to add the damage Bandai left off, and added custom mounting. I will say that (in my opinion) a single rod holding up the falcon looks a lot better than the stand Bandai provides . . . and it's way sturdier! The base is courtesy the AMT Enterprise

20171221_231550[22392].jpg

That brings up a question: has anyone replaced the Bandai LEDs with brighter versions and used the kit's diffusers? How much brightness can we pump out of that system?

I have.

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=50&p=4318334#post4318334
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=50&p=4318885#post4318885
https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=262348&page=58&p=4326815#post4326815

How bright it can get depends on the type and amount of LED. There are brighter LEDs than the ones I used, but in my opinion, making it too bright starts to kill the sense of scale.
The hue of the light also plays a role. That is why I used filters.

That's a terrific mod, Lab. I wonder how brighter it would've been had you also replaced the kit's LEDs so they're shooting directly through the diffuser.

Thanks man. I'll give it a look. The challenge seems to be finding a vendor where I don't have to buy a poster-size sheet when I only need 1" x 12".

Do I hear, "project run?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, so I think I'm closer to finding my studio model lighting solution. Here's what I'm going for:
0c28b040908583.5791811a05cbd.jpg
I went to the home improvement store (Menards) and found a 18x24 sheet of glossy white translucent acrylic for $14. I cut a strip roughly the right width and length for the Falcon's engine on my band saw and then used a heat gun and a kitchen pot close to the same circumference to slowly bend the acrylic around the pot.
IMG_8718.jpgIMG_8716.jpgIMG_8719.jpg
This is a test strip, so I wasn't too careful to make the bend perfectly consistent. The acrylic is thick enough that I decided to see how it would look with two rows of strip tape LEDs behind it. I installed the Bandai defuser into the model and taped the LED strips directly onto it. With the new acrylic strip in place, there's about a 1/4"-1/2" gap between the LEDs and the strip.
IMG_8720.jpgIMG_8721.jpgIMG_8722.jpgIMG_8730.jpg
So this is what I ended up with...
IMG_8727.jpgIMG_8726.jpgIMG_8729.jpg
In real life, it's not quite as bright as the pictures show and I'd like it to be slightly brighter, but I think I'm close. The individual LED points blend together fairly well, giving a pretty even engine glow. I think on or off, this should give me to a look that's pretty close to the 5-footer.
IMG_8725.jpgstar-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11551.jpg

This is $325 on Amazon today, for anyone that hasn't got one yet. Really wishing I had had a little patience on this and saved some money :(

This is $325 on Amazon today, for anyone that hasn't got one yet. Really wishing I had had a little patience on this and saved some money :(

Me too. And, interesting. I was afraid that it would sell out right away and I'd have to pay 2x on eBay when I finally decided to do it...

Maybe the rapidly expanding bubble the world seems to have been riding on the surface of for so long has finally taken a pause?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, so I think I'm closer to finding my studio model lighting solution. Here's what I'm going for:
Beautiful work mate.....it really does look gorgeous

Here's that same frame from the Team Negative One 35mm scan

attachment.jpg

J

Attachments

• star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11551 copy.jpg
    star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-11551 copy.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 1,290

I know it's blasphemy but I honestly really like the blue with the grills better
*ducks behind couch*

I'm trying to fit this well underneath. Is there supposed to be this much of a gap? I've pressed as hard as I dare. I even cut a pin.

Attachments

• 5343CA46-B661-4A20-88D9-E98CF0505FF7.jpeg
    5343CA46-B661-4A20-88D9-E98CF0505FF7.jpeg
    982.9 KB · Views: 390

I'm trying to fit this well underneath. Is there supposed to be this much of a gap? I've pressed as hard as I dare. I even cut a pin.

Mine did that too! I noticed it a few days after I connected the pieces. I've been kicking myself ever since thinking I didn't push it far enough. Unfortunately, I ran some thin cement in there so it's that way for good. I'm not losing sleep over it, but yeah, annoying.

Same on mine - I want to say it's a flaw in the model but it hasn't caused a problem yet. I'm nervous about joining the top and bottom saucers though. I hope it's not going to get hung up because of that part not fitting all the way in.

Working on my gun bays. I painted them a light grey, than painted various panels red and black. I hit the decals spares box and kibashed all sorts of stencils mostly from old aircraft kits. Did a few buttons and switches with colored pencils; silver, red, yelllow.

Pretty happy with the results. Once the window is installed you can't make out many details inside however. I thought about using the framed windows only but don't want these gun bays exposed.

a8e97b65c9ea669eaf62cedefc3c0ac0.jpg
78b2bac6821f9733598fa956addf6a56.jpg
cec0ab991d9716cea4689e98e363b7f2.jpg
0d2611d0b532de586473f3ca72b562c0.jpg
7a838705c8c1e7fa4c08a8f7ae3c21a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Same on mine - I want to say it's a flaw in the model but it hasn't caused a problem yet. I'm nervous about joining the top and bottom saucers though. I hope it's not going to get hung up because of that part not fitting all the way in.

It shouldn't cause a problem joining the saucers. I'm nervous about that stage too, but more so about any potential gaps between the mandibles and the saucer.

- - - Updated - - -

Working on my gun bays.

Looks good! The trouble with the gunbays is that it's so hard to see them once the kit is assembled.

I didn't have any major trouble getting the saucer halves together. Take your time, wiggle them into place.

There should be a small gap between the mandibles and saucer halves.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back