1:1 Millennium Falcon Cockpit Replica - Group Build

Hi Sofa,

I took a look at the set plans I have from the 76 version and it calls for a radius of 4'.0" from the center of the circle glass window -- for a second point of reference, these plans show the cockpit door having a total height of 6'.7" from the floor and a width of 2' 0.16" --

See elevation DD and CC on the previous plan I upload on page 260 or 259 -- (sorry it's on page 258)

Later

Oslm

Hey W,

So here's what I'm looking at right now...

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/... Scale Falcon Build 01/Issues_zps452arzpn.jpg

As you can see the lower side panels in the red circles will be angled too far toward the center and will more than likely not carry the weight of everything above it. Right now, only the door frame and main canopy arch (and the nuts and bolts) are keeping everything in place and preventing the panels from pushing outward. The further you go into the cockpit the more flex there is and the panels begin to sag down. The "cutoff point" (where I've decided to stop the build) is basically the nav chair platform. This is just below the front window leaving just a tiny bit of lower nose cone exposed - this wont be an issue as everything will bolt directly to the platform. My thought is that a skin frame can bolt directly to either the main platform or the nav chair platforms. BUT...

When I find the "mystery" outer diameter of the canopy arch - which does extend JUST past all the panels above, this will tell me whether or not the skin frame will or will not interfere with the lower panels. As it looks now on paper, everything should be OK... but with all the flexing and warping and good old fashioned gravity... I really have no idea what I'm going to find.

As you can see here... we did skin the cockpit down to the platform. We know the upper and side panels are clear of the future skin frame - note the canopy arch
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/...sole Build061/20140525_211508_zps8e489e52.jpg

Hope that made sense. If you got it... could you explain it to me? ;)

Just a quick reply, whilst looking at the 'then and now' photos from a few pages back, in order to work out what can be done aesthetically and structurally to the lower panels on the front nose half I think the next step should be to create (or rough out) the front window. I'm thinking the front window could even be made as a seperate 'end cap' type of arrangement that's fitted last when re-building for events. By being seperate and fitted last like a slotted in piece it can be made with just enough give to allow for misalignment when setting up. Could the window section be reinforced to take some of the weight?

Either way, the window will help to visualise what can be done.

Hi Sofa,

I took a look at the set plans I have from the 76 version and it calls for a radius of 4'.0" from the center of the circle glass window -- for a second point of reference, these plans show the cockpit door having a total height of 6'.7" from the floor and a width of 2' 0.16" --

See elevation DD and CC on the previous plan I upload on page 260 or 259 -- (sorry it's on page 258)

Later

Oslm

Hi O,

Thanks so much for the info! Daniel and I spent a few minutes yesterday afternoon taking several measurements and so far... the cockpit is holding steady at exactly 96" (8') across - from inner panel to inner panel and ~104" from the outer edges of the panels. I'm going to cut a new arch at 104.5" - 105" (hopefully this weekend). This should tell me whether or not the lower side panels will have to be redone - so far things look good!

Also, the new door frame and door are also spot with the original 76 plans! Fingers crossed! :)

Just a quick reply, whilst looking at the 'then and now' photos from a few pages back, in order to work out what can be done aesthetically and structurally to the lower panels on the front nose half I think the next step should be to create (or rough out) the front window. I'm thinking the front window could even be made as a seperate 'end cap' type of arrangement that's fitted last when re-building for events. By being seperate and fitted last like a slotted in piece it can be made with just enough give to allow for misalignment when setting up. Could the window section be reinforced to take some of the weight?

Either way, the window will help to visualise what can be done.

Hey W,

That was my original plan - get the front window done first to resolve this issue - BUT. I need to resolve the main body arch issue first. If the new arch resolves all the issues, then I can move forward with the nose. With that being said... My thought was to create, as you said, a rough version of the window and get everything "visually" aligned. Fortunately, what we see on the inside of the cockpit doesn't have to necessarily mirror exactly whats on the outside. The exterior nose skin, IMO, is the most important hurdle. Even with the nose vertically cut apart, if that exterior conical shape is wrong, the illusion of the nose is lost.

Great minds think alike. I'm strongly considering making the window an "end cap" - that would be, in essence, the final piece of the puzzle. How it will actually mount... hmmmm I'll burn that bridge when I get to it. But, my original idea for the front window was to be "resting" on a platform - this would help remove weight from the side panels. I'm still leaning toward that idea - the less weight on those panels the better. BUT that then raises the "cut off" point a little light. Bu everything can be hidden with a nice frilly and fancy table skirt! lol

The final hurdle... successfully integrating the outer skin with the canopy / window edges so they appear "seamless".

Hi Gang,

WHEW... its hot outside.

So... painted this cover plate to match the back wall dark panel paint
20150716_221303_zpste8feaal.jpg

Clear coat
20150717_144927_zpswqsy8uoe.jpg

Bolted in place
20150717_150155_zpswohyyfj8.jpg

While that was drying I then sanded down the mod'd upper side nose panel and added some primer / filler
20150717_133342_zpsscd4aojo.jpg

20150717_133346_zpskgq4rdym.jpg

20150717_133550_zpsrx6t4zl4.jpg

20150717_133553_zpsfmnaawot.jpg

The heat dried that filler fairly quickly so I added more filler to the MANY imperfect areas
20150717_144916_zps3vkmagmq.jpg

While that dried I then finished up the other panel
20150717_142435_zpsbpvwfrhe.jpg

Cut off the edges
20150717_142440_zpsdtjojfya.jpg

Added filler
20150717_151744_zpsirg3od8f.jpg

Time to address this panel
20150716_221308_zpsayevq6ii.jpg

More to follow

Last edited:
The "cutoff point" (where I've decided to stop the build) is basically the nav chair platform.

I may have misunderstood but couldn't putting the nose cone on add the extra strength to support the rest? You were saying the further forward you get the more it sags, maybe if the nose cone was there it could be assembled ends first, then build up the sides connected at both ends.
I think mostly what I'm saying is I can't wait to see the nose cone attached to this thing :)

I may have misunderstood but couldn't putting the nose cone on add the extra strength to support the rest? You were saying the further forward you get the more it sags, maybe if the nose cone was there it could be assembled ends first, then build up the sides connected at both ends.
I think mostly what I'm saying is I can't wait to see the nose cone attached to this thing :)

Hi C,

In theory you are 100% correct. The nose cone "would" have been enough support had I built the canopy / transition arch correctly - I didn't do that. I realized that error yesterday morning working on sketches on how to fix this issue.

If you look at past build photos I ended the canopy arch at the upper nose panel - it didn't go all the way to the floor (platform) as it originally should have. When the lower panels (nose and body) are mounted together, it is only the bolts keeping them together. There is no vertical support to help carry the weight. My plan is to take the new canopy / transition arch all the way to the floor / platform. This should be enough support to keep all the panels in place and evenly distribute the weight across the canopy / transition arch and rear body arch.

Note how the canopy arch ends at the upper nose panel - that was a HUGE error. It should go all the way around to the platform evenly distributing the weight of the main body panels and NOT rest on the nose panel.
20140525_211508_zps8e489e52.jpg

Taking the new arch all the way down around and to the platform will now add 3/4" to the body. But since the nose and main body are completely separate from each other the only thing affected is the canopy beam length. Everything else stays the same. And I am NOT going to worry about adding 3/4" to the beams. ;)

In other words... it was a HUGE "DUHHH" moment for me! :facepalm

Since we're collecting silly ideas...

I was thinking of building something similar to the mid section of your drawing, based on turning a B-17 ball turret sideways and crossing the inside flight deck with the quad cannon control room. A sort of mini flying cannon room for displaying my various Star Wars / aircraft parts. Cool concept!

Hey Greg, nobody's perfect! Don't beat yourself up over this. Better to learn this now than on the real deal Full Scale Falcon build!!

Hi Gang,

Whew! What a weekend! :)

These side panels are eating up a LOT of filler and sandpaper
20150717_161035_zpsbtmoh2bf.jpg

20150717_161040_zpsevgma1qx.jpg

20150718_074535_zpsmjwfrdie.jpg

20150718_074541_zps0uci4wuz.jpg

Adding sandable primer / filler
20150718_112805_zpslnygdcsv.jpg

UGH
20150718_112817_zpspu9ekmvm.jpg

This is a bugger - the angle is slightly off - gotta load up the filler and make it look right
20150718_112832_zpstns8z7nj.jpg

I've been layering up the filler. I'll add another layer this morning then sand in a few hours
20150718_161547_zpsg8n2zny0.jpg

This panel is close to being finished
20150718_123049_zpsfhjwd5ub.jpg

I thought this was an odd greeblie configuration - but we're talking about the Falcon (nothing really surprises me anymore)
20150718_130236_zpsxixdiys3.jpg

The ESB designers added a knob on top of the greeblie. So, of course I had to make it functional. Fortunately, it was wide enough to accept both the pot and the nut - whew!
20150718_130241_zpsnua2hd5k.jpg

Cut a hole in the panel to ensure the pot fits
20150718_130316_zpsngio6tcd.jpg

20150718_130324_zpss2otmaeq.jpg

Success!
20150718_130450_zpsddq0hxyv.jpg

Now I just have to find a knob
20150718_130457_zpsez9qbcxc.jpg

Still a few more pinstripes and then the 1" tiles to add
20150718_140308_zpsdtnsd0fm.jpg

After Treadwell posted those new images of the ESB... this panel will have to be re-done (and I swore I would never redo this greeblie ever again! ;) Oh well. I think I've created / laser cut 4 or 5 of these so far.
20150718_131343_zpstnfibqgz.jpg

So let's talk arches... Here you can see how the canopy arch ended at the upper nose panels - BAD ME! The plan is to laser cut a new arch (.75" thick) going all the way to floor and to see if the lower panels were going to be an issue.
20150718_074551_zpsd7lukdxi.jpg

So Daniel, Jessie and I headed to the local Makers to laser cut some new arches - and learn the new s/w!
20150718_175507_zpslqlsbfr3.jpg

She did a fine job...
20150718_190545_zpszhf43uek.jpg

BUT! There was a conversion problem from InkScape. It created a distorted DXF file. Total failure! BUT, Daniel spent a little time tracking down the problem and it looks like we may have found the issue or at least a work around. Fingers crossed!

Now let's get to some good news! I picked up a pipe roller yesterday! She's going to help us with the skin frame
20150718_175534_zpspit1rrf2.jpg

And the best part of all... I found a seller in the UK with two of the original style pilot / co pilot seats used in the cockpit! Wavey and I are working out the details now!

Huntmaster%20Seat%2002_zpsa6fdtigc.jpg

Huntmaster%20Seat%2004_zpsy0hn5yyy.jpg

Huntmaster%20Seat%2003_zpstrswxwgh.jpg

Huntmaster%20Seat%2001_zpsehgkuswh.jpg

FINGERS CROSSED GUYS! Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
When I hung out with CL YEARS AND YEARS ago... And he told me about the FSF... My mind was blown.

Most people didn't believe it would ever be possible!

But here we are.

Really doesn't seem impossible anymore does it kids?

Great work Sofa!!!!!! (And everyone else that's worked on this)

GREAT find on the seats!!! As is they look more Lonestar and Barf than they do Solo and Chewie! LOL

Hi Gang,

Baby steps...
20150719_105801_zpsjxd9gpxe.jpg

14 layers of filler and a couple shots of primer / filler (and Jack) and we finally have a level panel
20150719_105808_zpsnrxwxpyo.jpg

Almost ready for prime time!
20150719_110625_zpsjzdiy0qd.jpg

This panel is looking better and better! Need to get some black acrylic laser cut to finish up
20150719_110709_zpsgmpmwnzk.jpg

More to Follow!

Hey Greg, nobody's perfect! Don't beat yourself up over this. Better to learn this now than on the real deal Full Scale Falcon build!!

Hey MK,

Thanks... it's the "duh" moments that frustrate me the most. But you are absolutely correct. Better to find out the little do's and dont's now before we break out the welders and lay the concrete! What an awesome day that will be!

- - - Updated - - -

Holy! Great find on the seats!!!

I am SO excited! I just hope we're able to close loop on these!

- - - Updated - - -

When I hung out with CL YEARS AND YEARS ago... And he told me about the FSF... My mind was blown.

Most people didn't believe it would ever be possible!

But here we are.

Really doesn't seem impossible anymore does it kids?

Great work Sofa!!!!!! (And everyone else that's worked on this)

GREAT find on the seats!!! As is they look more Lonestar and Barf than they do Solo and Chewie! LOL

Thanks so much! It's been a LONG journey so far. And if Barf and Lonestar don't mind me taking their seats... then... ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Sofa! You've found the seats:eek:cool That's the bomb!

Hey Joe,

I'm just hoping that bomb doesn't go off! As I mentioned above - we're trying to close loop and get them on their way

Last edited:
Hi Gang,

SUCCESS! Daniel discovered that Inkscape does NOT like exporting curved objects to the DXF format - what our laser cutter accepts. So, we added multiple nodes / points within the curves (almost 250) then made a straight line between each point thus removing the curve - BAM! That did it! Daniel is our hero of the week! We then jumped one more hurdle and aslo realized the Inkscape was scaling down the objects so we had to make sure everything was scaled correctly.
20150719_165050_zpsjmi0rzwj.jpg

The new arch is slowly coming along
20150719_170842_zpsvkv3tinn.jpg

There are 8 pieces per circle at 1/4" and 3 layers total making the arch 3/4". We have some cutting to do!
20150719_170856_zpssacd4tqp.jpg

20150719_172325_zpsmxp2dl6n.jpg

That's a lot of pieces
20150719_193655_zpsmym9i09t.jpg

So... I began to temp bolt (they will be glued together) the pieces to each other and see how / if everything fit
20150720_001310_zpsyg36pgsk.jpg

Each panel overlaps one another - guide / bolt holes
20150720_001316_zpsi8dpyb4u.jpg

20150720_001344_zpsfnrip67w.jpg

Now... IF this is the final position - I still have to put everything together - the lower panels are good and there will be NO redesign!
20150720_001409_zpsvtog3ful.jpg

20150720_001423_zpsxdv7ia9p.jpg

Fingers Crossed!

I said Daniel was our hero of the week... that was short lived (;)) because Jessie graduated yesterday with honors! She's our hero of the week! Congrats J! We love ya! :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back