The Star-Lord/Peter Quill Sling Bag thread

(not sure if it's bad form to repost something from the fb group, if it is let me know and I'll remove it.)

I didn't see this on the forum at all...
Why Serious on the RPF FB group posted this amazing bag they made out of foam:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=357479521078159&set=gm.697181587038096&type=1

10629371_358641927628585_8384488845639682521_o.jpg10431137_358642030961908_6373040287283053862_o.jpg10628692_358642147628563_6203143770904178436_o.jpg

(not sure if it's bad form to repost something from the fb group, if it is let me know and I'll remove it.)

I didn't see this on the forum at all...
Why Serious on the RPF FB group posted this amazing bag they made out of foam:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=357479521078159&set=gm.697181587038096&type=1

View attachment 372742View attachment 372744View attachment 372745
Certainly not bad form to post it! I wish we had this guy in the thread discussing his ideas!

I probably should have looked for this thread a few days ago, but I was so gung-ho after getting my motorcycle bag from ebay that I just went right to work on modifying the bag, using reference photos. The extra pockets and webbing came off super easy with a seam ripper and I made the strap from some upholstery pleather I had lying around. I picked up some brass snaps and d-rings from Jo-Ann fabrics and banged this all out in an evening.

Image09052014152240.jpg

I think I may try my hand at constructing another one, but was very happy with how this came out for a few hours of work.

Attachments

• Image09032014153642.jpg
    Image09032014153642.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Image09032014153651.jpg
    Image09032014153651.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 248
I bought this same bag. I might have to take a seam ripper to it myself! Nicely done on the strap too!

Thanks!
I liked the bag straight out of the box, but didn't really mind modifying it. The only place I had to do any major sewing to was the point where the upper sling attached to the bag, I tore the seam so I could remove the webbing there and then sewed it back together so it would look clean. I think I'll hang onto this bag for a while, and once I can get all the other materials found in this thread, I'll make another one that's more screen accurate.

A couple pics I took as screenshots off of some videos of the Guardians of the Galaxy event at Universal Studios.

Youtube clip 1.jpg
youtube clip 2.jpg

A little late to the game here. Dragon Con prep, followed by the con itself, then catching up on life after...
Risu and I had a chance to chat a bit at the Marvel photoshoot and he made me aware that there was a lot of movement over here on the Starlord gear, so I thought I'd join in as I'm really digging this suit and ready to upgrade my Dragon Con quickie costume. Thanks for starting this thread Zlurpo... The bag was probably the biggest single item I regret not doing and am excited to give it a go.

Just a couple of things... Forgive me if they've already been covered. There's a ton of info to sift through already.
Seeing bits of talk about the fabric. Looking at that fourth image in the first post, it looks to me that the printed sections of the body (at least those that show in that image) are embossed or printed leather. Has anyone discussed this? Looks like everything you see in that shot is leather. Hard to tell from the now famous "Starlord's butt pic," which seems to be the only shot where you can see the other side of the bag, what's going on there. If it's more of the printed section, or a heavy canvas...

Next... Those grommets. Try the search term "Oblong grommet." It's the common vernacular for tools and fasteners in the US. So it may yield more results than "oval." Stimpson has a full range of these. I have yet to research purchasing options and minimum orders from them, but will soon as they also happen to carry the eyelets I need for GoT belts...
http://www.stimpson.com/

Lastly. I totally missed the buckle run. Did we milk the supplier completely dry? I'm not above starting another run. Alternatively, I'm not void of skillset to bribe someone that bought more than one.

Best I can tell, the bag fabric is a woven upholstery fabric, although some people have suggested it could be silk screened (probably onto canvas) and I could get behind that, too. Since I'm going to be buying a large amount of silk screening supplies for the jacket, I'll probably end up screening my own bag fabric as well.

I wish I wasn't too lazy to repost and circle the questionable points in the image... Look at where the seams connect between the printed and plain. They look like the same material. Or the same weight. The roll line at the seam on the flap edge suggests that it's a denser material like vinyl or leather... The tabs that the strap runs through are definitely printed canvas. The color is slightly off from the other parts too, which suggests a different material...

I see your point about the weight, but I do think it's thinner than the leather. The edge of the flap just below where it folds down, you can see that the leather side of that is creating a larger amount of bulk. I think it's likely that this is some kind of polyester upholstery material, maybe for outdoor use. It could have a heavy backing on it. I don't think it behaves like leather, and it seems to have a woven texture similar if not the same as the redder flap pieces.

It's definitely heavier than the canvas, could be backed. And "thinner than leather" is relative, since there are some pretty thin skins out there. Not saying I think it's 100% leather... Just pointing out discussion points. I'm not sure if the texture I'm seeing is woven, or grain... So Hard to tell with the pattern printed on it... It definitely has a soft drape to it, and the thickness is more than that of canvas, because the seam rolls instead of folds... The tabs I'm sure are canvas.
Okay. This thing makes my eyes hurt...

Here's how I see it:
fabric_analysis2.jpg

The thinner solid material could be pleather, since there is no fraying on the edge, but the surface is definitely leather-like grain and not the result of weave. (Look at where it wrinkles.) The tabs almost certainly either have adhesive backing or are glued. Actually, I think each tab is sewn like a "pocket", turned, glued (or backed), attached to the bag, folded over and then riveted in place.

I also think that the pattern is screened because it reflects the light differently and seems to "puff out" a bit. Doubtful it is a bought fabric. If they were going all-out and custom printing/dying other stuff they most certainly would with the bag as well. Remember, we're talking about an Oscar-winning costume designer working with what we can assume is a fairly large budget.

Here is a look at the canvas, desaturated to remove the pattern.
fabric_analysis.jpg

You can definitely see a bit of twill-like diagonal weave in there but I think that's mainly due to the shadows. The dominant weave in the canvas seems to be a square type pattern and as Rylo suggested, most likely found in the upholstery section.

Just now this was posted in the costume thread:
KZJ9e8e.jpg

Pretty good look at the fabric!

Another view/the other fabric color:
ZlhbnJ3.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! That definitely settles it, some kind of heavy weight, rough textured fabric with a silk screened pattern. Yondu's costume has the same pattern applied very faint.

This is awesome.
Hopefully i can get to this project, but after my other ones first. I am subscribing to this thread for sure :)

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back