Light-up lightsabers from the Force Awakens

Anakin Starkiller

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys, What references do we have for the hilts on the light-up lightsabers used in TFA? Specifically, I'm hoping to find good shots of the graflex hilt on the light up sabers.

Thanks

Dan

These are the only ones that I know of, but I haven't done much digging.

GettyImages-522423786_master.jpg

royal-visit-to-star-wars-episode-8-set-reveals-new-details-photo-credit-the-british-m-942646.jpg

APTOPIX_Britain_Royals_Star_Wars__skeyser@kcstar.com_7

Yes. I believe the Hyperdyne system used on set allowed control of the intensity, flicker and flash on clash. That and it used a variation of the bluetooth module so that all sounds could be recorded and later edited in post, and also could be played over a sound system on set - however that idea was scrapped.
Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm trying to remember what was said in the Graflex Research TFA thread.
@Anakin Starkiller You could try maybe getting in contact with the Hyperdyne guy? I can't remember his username, but he visited to let us know that he had been approached etc.. Might be able to help you out. I would dare say more reference shots are just going to be short snippets from the DVD.

From that workbench shot, I believe there were long tubes that housed all the electronics and were slipped inside the lightsaber hilts. The graflex ones looked like they had a graflex shaped top, so they may be the sabers themselves.

Are the guys in the background controlling the blades/ lights via remote?

Yes, I read an article in American Cinematographer that goes into a little detail about doing just that.
They didn't mention a name for the system used however so I'm not sure on that count.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back