The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Re: The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

the leather strap kit would be the thread creator valor. he makes the stars also there is a thread over in the junkyard. his kit has everything.

Hi all, I sold my steel sled shield (heartbreaking) and bought a blank, I am very excited to start but the one difference I am worried about is the grooves. How do people approach them? leave them blank paint them or what I considering is having the blue meet the red in the middle of the groove, that being said what have people found to be the best way to cut masking tape in the groove evenly

What I have found is to use a fabric ruler, They are usually pinkish and clear, going up to 18 inches long. I cut slits in the middle with an xcato knife and drill a hole for it to attach in the middle. then lay the tape down over the groove and lightly push it into the groove. The spin with the knife in the ruler around to cut the tape. That works pretty well for me.

Also I make a Strap kit that is available on etsy, The style is a bit different from valors, Just gives you another option.

So what's the average wait time from spraying the metalcast to clear coat? How long does everyone wait?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is yours the $90 or $240 one?
Mine is the $90 one, although it is $160 with the leather and all complete. 90 gets you all the metal parts.

- - - Updated - - -

So what's the average wait time from spraying the metalcast to clear coat? How long does everyone wait?

usually you can wait 30 minutes for it to dry before clear coat but it never hurts to let it sit over night.

So how does everyone get those perfect separations between the red and white bands? I'm afraid I'm going to have to strip and try again....

Fine line masking tape

Attachments

• WP_20160418_21_16_57_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160418_21_16_57_Pro.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 276
Hi Cap fans,

Ive seen this question asked a few times, but not answered.

Im going to be painting a fiberglass shield in an AoU color scheme.

What colors and techniques have you guys found to be the most effective? Best red? Best Blue? Best way to achieve the silver parts, etc.

Thanks all

I did mine using the Duplicolor Metalcast Red and Blue. It is a fantastic product. Probably the best translucent/candy rattle can paint you can get. For the AoU finish you'd just want to clear over the red and blue. If your shield was aluminum you'd want to satin clear the whole thing. Getting the silver to look spun/brushed over the fiberglass will be the hardest part for yours. I'd probably choose a silver that is almost chrome and find a way to spin your shield lightly touching the silver with a piece of clean scotch bright. I'd say just practice on some test pieces to get the finish you want. There are so many techniques with painting that don't necessarily work for everyone.
6660290dae0460811a432a1423ead00e.jpg

Last edited:
hey guys! i saw Civil War in my local cinema on the 27. of April (that was the Norwegian premiere of the movie) and i am considering repainting my King Arts shield because the paint got damaged after an accident. and i was just wondering what paints i should use to get the look of the shield in Civil War? is the Metalcast still the most accurate paint to use? and what type and brand of clearcoat should i use? the reason i want it to be accurate to the Civil War shield is because in my opinion it looked so much better there than in any of the other movies. any help would be so much appreciated! :D EDIT: also what is the best product for removing the paint?

cwshield2.jpg cwshield.jpg

Last edited:
To anyone that did the rivets to hold the star onto the shield: did you drill the pilot holes all the way through the shield?

My shield's been taped up forever and a day, I need to get moving on it.
I rivet my stars and drill pilot holes all the way through

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Anyone in europe know any alternatives to Dupli-color Anodized metalcast? I cannot find it for the life of me. The closest I could find was "MOTIP" in an autoshop, Now apparently MOTIP owns another brand called "Dupli-color", but the logos look totally different, as do the outer markings on the bottles which leads me to believe they're different brands. (Also Motip is completely European based)

NEEDLESS TO SAY: I'm out of luck. I literally don't know what to do. I can't ship Duplicolor Metalcast Red or Blue to my house, but I also don't know a thing about Motip's automotive paints line. And they're REALLY expensive paints. A Motip stencil tester costs around 8 euro, so the price of an actual spray paint can, and the stencils aren't the best to get a proper idea of what the finished paint looks like because it doesn't apply evenly. But the spray cans are 20 euro a pop, so I don't exactly have the budget to test 'em out and pick out my favorite, if you get what I mean. They literally have DOZENS of shades of red (and blue), too. Now, here is one of the reds tested on my Winter Soldier cosplay's shoulder. The whole assembly is covered in aluminum, so I guess the Motip paint is anodized, since it retains a similar sheen and shine as the aluminum under it.

12596199_981655181883940_275338492_n.jpeg12895402_981655131883945_1737744987_n.jpeg

An alternate option is getting Testor's paints, which surprisingly enough CAN be shipped to my house, but apparently they don't give off as nice a finish as Duplicolor's metalcasts.

If anyone's ever worked with Motip, or just thinks I should go with Testors, I could really use some outside opinions :/

Hi everyone

I have a quick question about spraying these shields

I have just got myself a aluminium blank shield with star. The seller recommended me to use this paint

I have just brought these paint and I am waiting till Monday before I get the paint

Anyway. He told me to wipe the shield down with cellulose thinners before painting.
When painting. Spray the paint directly onto the aluminium and then clear coat it.

My only worry is that as I haven't used primer. When times come to mask the red or blue part. Won't the tape feel the paint off?

Any other advice would be great. Thanks

Hi everyone

I have a quick question about spraying these shields

I have just got myself a aluminium blank shield with star. The seller recommended me to use this paint

[url]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b145/ilghap/128FBB53-9A40-4797-A0DE-3E4D485DBC66_zps4ea9seid.jpg[/URL]

I have just brought these paint and I am waiting till Monday before I get the paint

Anyway. He told me to wipe the shield down with cellulose thinners before painting.
When painting. Spray the paint directly onto the aluminium and then clear coat it.

My only worry is that as I haven't used primer. When times come to mask the red or blue part. Won't the tape feel the paint off?

Any other advice would be great. Thanks

My aluminum shield gets used for events so regularly gets some minor damage... So I've done several repaints on it. There was one instance where the tape peeled a tiny spec of paint off. On that instance I was trying to finish the shield in one day. I'd give the color at least a day to dry before masking off to spray the next color and you should be fine.

Sorry if the answer has been posted, I wasn't able to go through all 60 pages. Where do you guys get your metal shields? I have a nicely painted plastic one but the metal looks so much nicer.

Sorry if the answer has been posted, I wasn't able to go through all 60 pages. Where do you guys get your metal shields? I have a nicely painted plastic one but the metal looks so much nicer.

Mine is a scratch built 1/8" aluminum shield that I made out of metal I had laying around at my sheet metal shop. In the junkyard section of the forum there are regularly shield kits and sometimes completed shields at fair prices considering that most people don't have access to the machines I do. Mine also isn't really movie accurate as far as details but makes for a nice piece...
7cca279699314a7dbc7b2129e49ed04d.jpg

Is there any way to draw the ridges/the star, carve them in the steel saucer sleds? Has anyone had any success with that, maybe with a dremel or something?

Last edited:
Is there any way to draw the ridges/the star, carve them in the steel saucer sleds? Has anyone had any success with that, maybe with a dremel or something?
It would be very difficult to do it neatly by hand. maybe if you had some sort of NC facility.
Your best bet would probably be to cut the shapes from thin sheet metal and stick them over the sled.

mind you i haven't tried it so i'm open to correction.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back