Julien C. Star Wars TIE-Fighter Miniature

-... . .- --..

Sr Member
I count myself a very lucky man today as I just happened to be home when the postman rang the doorbell and handed me a large box sent by my good friend Julien C.

You guys know him here as MonsieurTox, and one quick search of the threads he's started in the Studio Scale Models forum will familiarize some of the newer guys here with his uncanny scratch-building capacity and eagle-eyed greeblie identifications. Julien is so low key when he's building, and sometimes it seems like this stuff is just pouring out of him at what seems like an unsustainable pace, that I think it's easy to lose track of the fact that he breaks new ground with every single project he undertakes here.

I have been fortunate to work alongside Julien on a number of projects off and on over the years, but my personal favorite has to be his epic effort to recreate the TIE-Fighter miniatures created for the very first Star Wars film as accurately as possible. His third attempt at this iconic prop replica is documented in detail here:

Studio Scale TIE Fighter V3

And I'm here to build my own hero TIE-Fighter from castings I received today from Julien:

Look at the detail on this wing-star hub:

Perfect proportions on his cockpit ball and arms:

And check out the beauty of his upper hatch:

This is the only thing I've noticed that Julien got just a little bit wrong, because the upper hatch on the original miniatures were mounted crooked due to the top opening on the ILM pattern being less than parallel with the bottom hatch opening. ;)

This is all going to go very nicely with the vintage KoolShade I got from Matt R (dragnink) here a few years ago:

Still looking for an armature, tho...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep thise parts look crisp. A testament to Julien's work and attention to detail. Will be very nice to see this being build. Good luck!

Thank you very much Kevin, I'm glad you like it.

The TIE project started back in 2009. It's been a long journey and I was not sure I could actually do it.
I got Kevin's ANH expertise (I did not know a lot about ANH donor) helped me at every stage.
I got bug help from Allan, Lee, Dan and Stefan too. Thank you very much guys ! (Stefan, I havent forgotten you).

More than kit parts, Kevin helped me to solve that cockpit ball diameter issue and brought to me the proof of that the original cockpit ball was bigger than 5".

Huge thanks to you my friend and to all who helped me in a way or another.

Now I take a seat and whatch what you're going to do, I know it will surpass my own build.

Regarding the crooked top hatch, you are, I thought it would be easier to sand the top opening at an angle than correcting it :D

Yeah, I look at Felix's armature and then I look at every picture I have of Lorne Peterson assembling a hero TIE-Fighter, and I can't believe how perfect it is. Thanks again Felix! :thumbsup

Julien, it's funny you mention sanding because last week I decided to glue some sandpaper to a 1.25-inch tube in order to sand the inside of the arms, wing fillets and wing-star hubs, and as I was pulling various sized pipes from my shelf I discovered the 4-foot 1.25-inch aluminum pipe that I'm pretty sure I bought for you more than four years ago!

Doh...sorry I forgot to send it to you...:$

Yeah, I look at Felix's armature and then I look at every picture I have of Lorne Peterson assembling a hero TIE-Fighter, and I can't believe how perfect it is. Thanks again Felix! :thumbsup

Julien, it's funny you mention sanding because last week I decided to glue some sandpaper to a 1.25-inch tube in order to sand the inside of the arms, wing fillets and wing-star hubs, and as I was pulling various sized pipes from my shelf I discovered the 4-foot 1.25-inch aluminum pipe that I'm pretty sure I bought for you more than four years ago!

Doh...sorry I forgot to send it to you...:$

No worries ! :D

Great ! Now a good bit of sanding ! :D

Felix's TIE armature is the best I ever seen. Can't wait to see more !

Thanks a lot for the compliment guys i really appreciate that.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back